Unpopular Opinion(s) Thread

Not sure if the US or anybody else in the world thinks of education excellence when it comes to us

If you mean elite level research done in world class universities but conducted by foreign born professors and PhD students (and funded by the US tax payers) then sure

If you play in a tournament with the understanding you won't get a trophy even if you win, don't complain about not getting a trophy if you do win.

The US is kind off a farce and not really built on the false idea of excellence they put out in the world in multiple areas including education.

The US has the top 1%-5% of most areas because we pay the best and have (though starting to lose this lead) infrastructure to support the best and brightest through our facilities, private funding, relatively safe and stable cities.

After that top level talent though we are severe under performers compared to some other countries. We’re basically carried by the Stephs of our country and the rest of us are more like the 12th man on the bench.

If we were a nba team we’d be spot 1 and 2 with other countries filling spots 3-10 before we show up again on the roster depth chart.

People would be so much happier if they were more thankful and grateful for the things that they have and the people that they have in their life.

The issue is everyone wants a life of luxury and that's literally not possible in a capitalistic society.

Which is sad because when you’re on your death bed you aren’t thinking about the new car or house you want to buy.

Chasing material items that won't mean a thing, but that's what they want people to do because that fuels the economy.

Chasing material items that won't mean a thing, but that's what they want people to do because that fuels the economy.
Very true fam. When my mom was dying of cancer I realized just how dumb most of the things I was chasing was and how no amount of wealth or influence could make her get better. She was my best friend and I still miss her a lot and the pursuit of things can’t fill that void.

The US has the top 1%-5% of most areas because we pay the best and have (though starting to lose this lead) infrastructure to support the best and brightest through our facilities, private funding, relatively safe and stable cities.

After that top level talent though we are severe under performers compared to some other countries. We’re basically carried by the Stephs of our country and the rest of us are more like the 12th man on the bench.

If we were a nba team we’d be spot 1 and 2 with other countries filling spots 3-10 before we show up again on the roster depth chart.

To be fair, most countries would have the same issue. The average population of any country can't really compete with the top 1-5% of other countries/the world.

And yes, I know the US has a huge with developing and naturing talent

Smooth Operator isn't a very good song.
1677957281139.gif

I'm glad this young lady is furthering her education and maybe I'm a hater but I never understand articles or social media posts like this.

"Local kid gets into 70 universities"

"Student gets $3 million in scholarships from 40 different schools"

What is the point of applying to many universities?

You identify a couple of safety schools, some target schools and a handful of best case scenario/reach schools and you apply to those. At most, there are *maybe* 15 schools you're actually considering attending.

15 schools where you tell yourself "If I get in and the money is right, I would actually attend this university"

What's the point in applying to the other 35? From there you weigh programs, finances, scholarship money, etc and keep it moving.

Is it just the validation of knowing you can get into a lot of schools?

It just seems wasteful, even if you're getting free waivers from a lot of these schools it just seems like a waste of time applying. Not to mention by applying to schools you know you're not going to, you're just making the wait list longer and harder to get off of for other students who actually want to go to those schools.

I was fortunate and got into a couple of top 15 MBA programs. I could have easily kept applying to schools 16-100 just kept racking up acceptances... but what's the point? Filling out applications and writing dozens of essays over and over is just a waste of time, especially for schools I know I'm not actually going to attend

Saw this on Twitter and made me think of my post from a couple of years back. She applied and got into Duke and is also applying to Georgia Southern. She's applying to ivy League schools and small in-state schools.

Last edited:
Some people just feel better and get confidence when they are wanted by other people, schools, organizations, etc
I remember some years back when those type of post became a trend. I applauded the first few, then it quickly became, “what’s the point of this?” Seemed to be more for show than to congratulate.

Edit- if I’m not mistaken that started around the pandemic I think, so it make some sense considering people weren’t able to celebrate that type of accomplishment during that time.

It’s legit. It’s what social media is for. Doing unnecessary and excess sort of things and getting validation for it. What’d be even worse is if she did all that and no one knew the efforts she put in. Chasing and getting clout for educational reasons a big improvement over what social media usually used for.

People were doing that long before social media. Even top athletes keep/show off piles of recruiting letters etc

If anything High schools/local news outlets made it public thing.

Basically a competition.

Last edited:
People were doing that long before social media. Even top athletes keep/show off piles of recruiting letters etc

If anything High schools/local news outlets made it public thing.

Basically a competition.

Don't they still charge like 50 bucks a pop to apply? Seems pretty dumb

A complete change of gears:

In a zombie apocalypse, fast running zombies would be better than the slow shuffling zombies. The fast running zombies would catch all the slow people first turning the horde into a bunch of slow running, out of shape zombies.

A complete change of gears:

In a zombie apocalypse, fast running zombies would be better than the slow shuffling zombies. The fast running zombies would catch all the slow people first turning the horde into a bunch of slow running, out of shape zombies.
Ion know man, that big chick in Dawn of the Dead popped back up with the moves lol
C2C8CD53-8A08-4ACE-9743-DB1D2BD7F3C3.gif

Back
Top Bottom