Upcoming Blackberry Storm for Canada

Anyone else excited for the Blackberry Storm? Supposedly, Telus is receiving them first week of Dec.

storm1-465x800.jpg

pimp.gif

i always thought Rogers is getting the Storm early 2009

i think i read that on crackberry.com or howardforums.com

apparently this is a different technology on the touch screen. It vibrates under your finger...is this confirmed? It has a slide out qwerty also doesn'tit?

^^ your right. But the differnce is, there is a compresion board under the screen that u have to click. so while ur touchign the screen, it feels like yourpushing a button

I had the opportunity to try the Storm on Saturday on the Rogers network.

... and not to burst anyone's hope, it won't live up to the hype.

First, let me start off with what I found to be cool:
- The obvious clickable screen and the fact that it's a touch screen (supposed iphone killer)
- the overall design
- the metal-back casing
- 3.2 megapixel camera

But that's as far as it goes... what I found was a problem:
- the screen tilts like the iphone, but only when you hold it up. It doesn't tilt when you have it lying on flat on a table or surface
- typing long msgs and emails are a nightmare, when it's tilted upright the keys are too close together that it's hard to press the key that you wantto type (think blackberry pearl but on a touch screen. ie/ A and S; D and F are together)
- when you tilted it sideways. the keyboard itself covers 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen. So when you start off on the email screen the "TO... CC... BCC"covers the other 1/4 of the remaining screen. So everytime you type, you can only see 4 lines max.
- internet navigation is a B..CH
- battery life does almost immediately and this was just after navigating the phone and not using any applications yet

All in all, the design is cool; the performance has room to improve. Blackberry is still at an infancy stage in touchscreen smartphones. None of this isopinion but mere fact. I'm not telling you guys to buy it or that it sucks. But I thought I'd let you know.

I wanna try out the haptic feedback touch screen but still... I'd rather wait for the new curve

I thought the screen gives you feedback in addition to the whole screen being a giant button?

IMO it seems smart to use the pearl keyboard on a touch screen (but i've never tried it - only speaking from using an ipod touch)

ssgefiestoakage, were the buttons hard to press? From the early vids I saw a while back it seemed like the haptic screen was implemented very very poorly.

^ it's very hard to press the correct key... But maybe this is only my problem with ALL touchscreen devices (GPS, iphone and storm)

Like, don't expect to be able to type a speedy email... short text msgs are ok I guess

the issues i got with touch screen is that some are oversensitive, is that the case? because that would be horrible with the "close keys"

I got this from google...

blackberry_storm_hands-on_3-580x435.jpg

You can judge for yourself from the "subject line" to the actual body of the message that space is VERY LIMITED. The keys are also positionedrelatively close to each other (from the guy's finger) and this is what the screen looks like when it's tilted horizontally.

nice, but happy i got the bb bold instead, i like that keyboard...to bad the camera on it is SH-T!

IMO touchscreens aren't too bad.. I've had the iPhone before and it just takes time to get used to.

with that being said... typing on an actual keyboard is way better... which is why im glad i switched the Bold and didn't wait for the Storm

^ when i heard that i thought the same but ill be HAVE TO getting the data plan so its all good..... telus.......

even still you would save so much money by switching whenever wifi is available. and being a uni student that is almost always

Back
Top Bottom