*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

I still want to understand what Coach K is trying to accomplish with Jordan, Butler and DeRozan on the floor at the same time.

I think a lot of the people blaming this on short term deficiencies (coaching, personnel issues, etc.) are missing the bigger picture here.

The differences between the NBA and international basketball have been expressed and analyzed a million times by now. But much of it is true - many of these teams run great motion offense with screening off the ball and multiple reversals. As someone stated above - USA comes down and sets a high ball screen. That's basically it. 

The stereotype of US players just being superior athletes is dumb, though, too - these cats are plenty skilled. Melo, PG, Kyrie, KD? I mean these dudes can kill you from anywhere on the floor. The difference that I've seen in the Olympics so far is that NBA guys are individually super skilled, space the floor well, etc, but the int'l guys are skilled elsewhere - setting good (off ball) screens, knowing how to use those screens, understanding that you can drive closeouts after 2-3 reversals so the defense can't get set vs just attacking the first side down (basically the Warriors/Spurs?).

Problem is that those things aren't taught well at the middle/HS level. I'm not blaming AAU and there are multiple ways to win..

but moving the ball and moving without the ball have been proven to win.

*falls off soapbox*

Yeah and thats a product of the FIBA game getting much more respect overseas. Those guys have been playing together forever, and they all commit to it. In America they dont care that much, and rightfully so cause the NBA >FIBA

I think a lot of the people blaming this on short term deficiencies (coaching, personnel issues, etc.) are missing the bigger picture here.

The differences between the NBA and international basketball have been expressed and analyzed a million times by now. But much of it is true - many of these teams run great motion offense with screening off the ball and multiple reversals. As someone stated above - USA comes down and sets a high ball screen. That's basically it. 

The stereotype of US players just being superior athletes is dumb, though, too - these cats are plenty skilled. Melo, PG, Kyrie, KD? I mean these dudes can kill you from anywhere on the floor. The difference that I've seen in the Olympics so far is that NBA guys are individually super skilled, space the floor well, etc, but the int'l guys are skilled elsewhere - setting good (off ball) screens, knowing how to use those screens, understanding that you can drive closeouts after 2-3 reversals so the defense can't get set vs just attacking the first side down (basically the Warriors/Spurs?).

Problem is that those things aren't taught well at the middle/HS level. I'm not blaming AAU and there are multiple ways to win..

but moving the ball and moving without the ball have been proven to win.

*falls off soapbox*
You said people blaming coaching are missing the bigger picture.... But everything in your bigger picture is related to coaching :lol:

You mention the Warriors offense, then neglect to mention that the majority of their rotation, including their stars, are American and they played a completely different style offense under Mark Jackson.

They kept the same players, but changed coaches, and suddenly the offense takes off.

It's coaching, man.

Really bummed I haven't been able to watch more than one game, especially since they've been so close.

US deliberately lower down their skill so every game they play people won't turn off their TV because usually US already up by 30 at the end of 3rd quarter

Not having a full squad?

Like... Lebby? And others?

Don't understand.

Since many think (I guess thought now) this team would dominate every team in the games, I was referring to Spain missing Marc.

Have you been cashin' in on these spreads? @awwsome :nerd: been easy the last 3 games. It's like Team USA is an auto fade :lol:

Last edited:
I'm watching the replay now..and the lineup of

Jordan
Draymond
Durant
Thompson
Lowry

Looks to be the best lineup by far..the cutting was there which open up klay shot..and Draymond play making setup a few Jordan dunks at the rim..and the defense was on point..The Us built a 16 point lead..that would be my base lineup..

Too many Warriors and no Kyrie = s*** lineup

/NT

For the record, I agree with you. Easily our best lineup with Melo as the 6th man.

Last edited:
No wonder these mofos are playing like trash. They out and about at every sporting event. Just saw them at the Walsh/Ross beach volleyball game. KD looking lit or drunk Hahahah.

Last edited:
[thread="326016"]Usa Basketball/5880_40#post_26344295Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA  

No wonder these mofos are playing like trash. They out and about at every sporting event. Just saw them at the Walsh/Ross beach volleyball game. KD looking lit or drunk Hahahah.
[/thread]
Chances are players from other countries are doing the same thing.

They're just playing stagnant iso-heavy offense and sloppy defense. It is what it is. Talent usually wins though especially when there's such a big disparity in favor of Team USA. 

Really bummed I haven't been able to watch more than one game, especially since they've been so close.
same... on deployment. I'm fighting for this lol. I've been able to watch all the other games though.

I'm glad USA is winning but they better not get comfortable.

This is the C squad..Plus add in the fact we don't even practice and the horrible lineups..we're still winning..the world really isn't close.

Lebron
Curry
C.paul
Harden
Ant Davis
K.leonard
B.griffin
R.westbrook
L.Aldridge
You could add Damian Lillard as well.

Still, that's not an excuse and you could even argue that the French missing Parker, Noah and Evan Fournier was relatively just as big of a talent loss relative to their available roster than the US squad had missing all those players. This US team plain sucks and win gold or not they will go down as a mere footnote in US olympics men's basketball history.

LMA would've been on the team and it still would've been the C squad. The same goes for Lillard. The team isn't taking that next step forward unless it had a combination of Russ, Lebron, CP3, Curry, Harden and AD.

Either way, our A squads had close games as well. So, I really don't understand the A squad - C squad stuff. The fact that people think a team cannot stay close against us because they play hard is what boggles my mind. Talent can get you so far, but if you're not 100% focused with that talent, you cannot just run over International teams with a good amount of NBA players on it.

So, A squad, B squad, C squad...you still have to come prepared ready to stomp on your opponents. This is well known in the world of basketball.

Back
Top Bottom