*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Originally Posted by MzD650

So I am sure I am going to get flamed by Chicago fanboys, but.......

I dont understand what role Derrick Rose plays on this team, I really dont. I mean, you want him to be a point guard? Well he is clearly the third best distributer of the current roster. He is clearly behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams. So USA really doesnt need him as a point guard. Rose is decent on defense, but he certainly isnt great at it. He isnt a great shooter, so you cant use him as your 3 point threat.

Scoring is without question, Derrick Rose's best attribute. But does the USA really need more scoring? Between LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, and Carmelo, I think it is safe to say that this team does NOT need more scoring.

So where does that leave Rose? In my opinion, it should leave him off the roster.

My 12 man team:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh
LeMarcus Aldridge
Chauncey Billips
Kevin Love

Wait a minute... You leave him off in favor of Chauncey Billups? Umm. Alright I disagree but I mean that's your preference.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I dont understand what role Derrick Rose plays on this team, I really dont. I mean, you want him to be a point guard? Well he is clearly the third best distributer of the current roster. He is clearly behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams. So USA really doesnt need him as a point guard. Rose is decent on defense, but he certainly isnt great at it. He isnt a great shooter, so you cant use him as your 3 point threat.

Scoring is without question, Derrick Rose's best attribute. But does the USA really need more scoring? Between LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, and Carmelo, I think it is safe to say that this team does NOT need more scoring.

So where does that leave Rose? In my opinion, it should leave him off the roster.

My 12 man team:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh
LeMarcus Aldridge
Chauncey Billups
Kevin Love

Wait a minute... You leave him off in favor of Chauncey Billups? Umm. Alright I disagree but I mean that's your preference.
I leave off Rose in favor of Chauncey Billups for three point shooting, and that alone.  I would pick Curry over Billups, but he isnt on the final 20 roster.

If that's the case, then at least pick Eric Gordon. Billups literally will offer nothing else but decent three point shooting. They don't need any of his point guarding skills as the roster is already loaded with that in CP3/Williams. They don't need any of his "leadership" either so long as most of the 2008 squad is on board.

Gordon has a much better long range game and can also offer other ways of scoring.

Anyone big could defend just as well as Blake on that list, imo. If that's all he could bring to the team besides alley-oops then I rather not have him on the team.

Blake is a great rebounder, I'll give him that. But is that what the team needs? There would be plenty of good rebounder's on the squad once it's finalized.

Blake cannot make a mid-range jumper consistently. His post game isn't there yet. If he shows he could defend the 5 then maybe he would be a consideration.

Any other candidate could bring so much more to the team. Choosing Blake would be an abosulute waste of a spot, imo.

Blake definitely wouldn't be a waste of a spot. That honor would only go to Billups or Odumb.

They wouldn't depend on Blake to shoot from the perimeter. They would bring him off the bench for instant transition offense and rebounding.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

My 12 man team:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Dwight Howard

Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh
LeMarcus Aldridge
Chauncey Billups
Kevin Love

I leave off Rose in favor of Chauncey Billups for three point shooting, and that alone.  I would pick Curry over Billups, but he isnt on the final 20 roster.
Billups shot like 20% in the WC
laugh.gif

What I think would be the most complete and successful 12 man roster..

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Derrick Rose
Chris Bosh

Originally Posted by srvballer

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Derrick Rose
Chris Bosh
Wouldn't even be mad at that.

Also if they decide to go with that starting lineup
eek.gif

Even if Kobe doesn't play and Wade swaps in, that lineup is nuts

^Thats probably the most likely combination of players. Iguodala is a wildcard as well. Not really sure who's spot he would take though.

Just the fact that you would pick Curry over Billups makes me question if you watched the last world championships. 

Regardless, I'd rather have Curry over Billups as well. So long as Curry gets a new ankle.

The World Championships team was a completely different team than what the Olympic team will be. Imagining the open looks/lanes and such that Curry would get
pimp.gif
and his playmaking is understated as well.

Doesn't matter though, he isn't even on the final 20

Can't have fragile guards in international play. Too physical with all the hand checking and whatnot. Curry doesn't make sense.

srvballer:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Derrick Rose
Chris Bosh
Completely agree, like I said on page 1:
me:
In my opinion, using the 2008 roster:
Carmelo Anthony; lock
Carlos Boozer
Chris Bosh
Kobe Bryant; lock
Dwight Howard; lock
LeBron James; lock
Jason Kidd
Chris Paul; lock
Tayshaun Prince
Michael Redd
Dwyane Wade; lock
Deron Williams; lock

My 4 replacements:
Aldridge
Rose
Love
Durant

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Derrick Rose
Chris Bosh Rudy Gay
Fixed.
pimp.gif

I think Westbrook will make it, people forget he was the second best player on that 2010 team.

People were saying that Thunder had the two best young players in the game.

I think Coach K would like him back.

Originally Posted by amel223

Just the fact that you would pick Curry over Billups makes me question if you watched the last world championships. 

So the fact that Curry didnt play better than Billips 2 years ago (one year out of college, against the best competition in the World) means he wouldnt now be a better choice?  Solid logic. 

Doesnt matter though, he isnt on the finalist roster....which is why I didnt pick him to start with.

Originally Posted by JUSTBLAZE2k7

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Derrick Rose
Chris Bosh Rudy Gay
Fixed.
pimp.gif

Cross Aldridge out and put Gay or Iguodala. I don't think they will carry 3 true PF's on the roster. I'm thinking Bosh because he played in 08 and I'm sure Wade/Lebron will find a way to keep him on the team, then you have Love because of his rebounding. Aldridge pretty much gives you what Bosh does so there's no point in having both. 
Erick Gordon will also make it as well. Eric Gordon and Iggy/Gay will end up on the team. I'm not sure which spots they would take, but I think you have to put them on there due to their versatility (Gay/Iggy) and shooting (EG).

Gs: rose, paul, kobe, wade.
Fs: kd, lebron, L.A., Melo, Love.
Cs: Chandler, Bosh, Howard

Most likely LA will get snubbed. griffin will go even though he can't play post d (but stern and the nba love him.)
Swap Bosh for Mcgee for comedy.
roll.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JaFlash

I think Westbrook will make it, people forget he was the second best player on that 2010 team.

They don't need anything Westbrook has to offer though. He may have been a top player on that 2010 team, but on the Olympic team his role would change immensely. If they have to decide between Rose, Westbrook and Deron Williams, Westbrook is third on my list.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

They don't need anything Westbrook has to offer though. He may have been a top player on that 2010 team, but on the Olympic team his role would change immensely. If they have to decide between Rose, Westbrook and Deron Williams, Westbrook is third on my list.

His defense was amazing, not to mention his game changing athleticism and scoring off the bench and he even played some alongside Derrick Rose as the 2. But the defense Westbrook, Iggy, and Gordon played all warrants them getting better consider than people who are just assuming the 12 most popular names are giving them.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

His defense was amazing, not to mention his game changing athleticism and scoring off the bench and he even played some alongside Derrick Rose as the 2. But the defense Westbrook, Iggy, and Gordon played all warrants them getting better consider than people who are just assuming the 12 most popular names are giving them.
His defense is a good point. They don't have any designated defenders outside of Howard if they go with the "big names". Unless you consider James, Wade as their "stoppers".

I wonder why no Amare? Still the insurance issues? He didn't do anything to warrant not being on the list. He has played when he was healthy. 2010 he wanted to play and was a lock but the insurance issue kept him out. Not his fault

Back
Top Bottom