USAJOBS question

Interview on monday at 8:30am.

I know they piss test so I'm starting my "cleanse" now, I know its going to take at least two weeks for them to test me, at least another week before they even tell me if I got the position...then there is the security clearance...I caught a charge back in 2010, but I've been assured by multiple family members that work with the feds (hell my dad performs the drugs tests overseas) that I'll be good...I hate having to do it, but what gonna do, 'tis the world we live in....*crosses fingers*

Sometimes it has contact information on the job posting too, if it's actually someone's email address it wont hurt to write that person an email letting them know you're interested
Thanks for this, would have never thought to do this. 

Just shot an e-mail to the contact, hopefully this helps 
smokin.gif

Man...real talk when you put in your résumé you gotta have a lot of buzzwords; its a hits thing...or you can know someone. Knowing someone is the best way.
Repped and quoted for emphasis. It really is a buzzwords thing. Don't think one resume will work for every posting. You have to include as many keywords from the description in your resume as possible. I heard they rank applicants by how many keywords are found in the resume/app. You may be qualified, but if you aren't in the top 10-20 based on the number keywords/hits, then good luck getting a response.

All that to say, tailor your resume to each position you apply to. Can be a lot of work, but if you aren't willing to put in the work to get the job, the USAJobs route isn't for you.

I've been making progress on USAJOBS due to this thread. My resume has been getting reviewed just getting beat out by vets. Thanks for all the help.

If I'm not qualified for a position, they close it and notify me. When I'm referred, I never hear from the agency, they never update the site and the job stays open.

Checking the date of the job. It'll usually tell you the period in which they are accepting applications.

You should have at least 3 different resumes for USAJOBS. Surprisingly the resume that got me the interview was the one were i copied and pasted my job descriptions from my old jobs. :lol: When it was time for the interview I went in with a cleaned up one. 8)

A friend told me to peruse through Linkedin Profiles with people who held the job title I wanted. They usually have their resumes posted, along with their background + education. It's been encouraging to see the credentials especially when they have an undergrad degree for a higher position that you'd think would require a graduate degree.

Some places you just have to know someone there to really get a foot in. The CDC for example.

My app went to "referred" for Department of Energy! Haven't gone any updates since Late April though. If they call, anyone know what area code the number should be? I dont want to ignore them if they do call from an unknown number.

My app went to "referred" for Department of Energy! Haven't gone any updates since Late April though. If they call, anyone know what area code the number should be? I dont want to ignore them if they do call from an unknown number.

Just answer all calls while applying for jobs, the call can be unknown or from a different area. Hell now a days I answer every call, I've missed a few job opportunities by not answering calls from numbers I'm not familar with.

Re-upping this thread. What are you fellas doing to get referred? I am meeting most of the job qualifications with an "expert" rating which matches up with my resume but still not getting referred. Is a bullet point resume or paragraph format more effect for government employment? I have looked at the USA Jobs resume guide PDF as well.

Re-upping this thread. What are you fellas doing to get referred? I am meeting most of the job qualifications with an "expert" rating which matches up with my resume but still not getting referred. Is a bullet point resume or paragraph format more effect for government employment? I have looked at the USA Jobs resume guide PDF as well.

i converted my resume to an IMPACT resume and got right in

look it up

Use bullet points, thats just good resume technique. If a recruiter or manager cant quickly scan your resume and find the important details then it is ineffective. Resumes are all about readability.

I got reffered by simply having a resumer that is directly related to the job req. its all about key word hits really, and then your questionaire score. Goodluck don't let usajobs get you down.

waiting to hear back from the Congressional Research Service from an interview 2 months ago...i was told late july but im not holding my breath for the position 
laugh.gif

USAjobs only helps me with career after grad school. So a few more years before I start apply.

USAjobs only helps me with career after grad school. So a few more years before I start apply.
I start school in September and I really need something while I'm in school, but apparently working is not the move while in school I guess 
laugh.gif

I have like fifteen damb apps pending. Some are from May 
sick.gif

Last edited:
Been applying for job through this site since '08 but no avail. But then again I live in Pittsburgh and well, this isn't actually the land of milk and honey. Seems the bulk of the jobs are in DC and I'm tryna move further south to Alanta but even then, no dice.

Have to gear your resume to the posting from what I heard. They used a keyword/parsing system as with other online application sites. They'll parse your resume if you don't have the keywords.

I've never even moved beyond the step of submitting an application, no success on this site.

All I get are emails notifying me of the status of my application, which subsequently lead to an email saying the position is no longer open.

i participated in a usajobs online seminar that gave info on how to best create a resume...

Write to the duties, and dont be bashful. the guy who was giving the presentation personal resume is 6 pages long. there is no limit on the length of your federal resume.

good luck yall.

i participated in a usajobs online seminar that gave info on how to best create a resume...

Write to the duties, and dont be bashful. the guy who was giving the presentation personal resume is 6 pages long. there is no limit on the length of your federal resume.

good luck yall.

Use bullet points, thats just good resume technique. If a recruiter or manager cant quickly scan your resume and find the important details then it is ineffective. Resumes are all about readability.

I got reffered by simply having a resumer that is directly related to the job req. its all about key word hits really, and then your questionaire score. Goodluck don't let usajobs get you down.
Thanks for the advice. I submitted a cover letter with my app even though the announcement didn't call for one; should I send another copy of it to the contact e-mail on the announcement as well or is that overkill?

Back
Top Bottom