*** Usher "Here I Stand" In Stores NOW! ***

Given it a few spins ... it definitely grows on you.

Its just an entirely different direction Usher has gone .. Which I respect .. he can't sing about the same things a decade later in his life.
I can say im a grown up now and this album I can relate to on a personal level. Take out a couple of fillers like the Will.i.am track ... and I can say thatits on Confessions/8701 level for me personally.

The only things I can criticise this album besides the few fillers, is the track order ... it doesn't flow as good as it could of.

I think that its gotten such backlash is that its not wot ppl expected, the target audience has shifted upwards, and ppl hvnt given it enough time yet. Hismistakes is my jam!

4/5.

People are quick to hate this album for the mere fact that it sounds different than his previous 2 albums.. I like that it's different.. A bit more matureand regular r&b.. Less for the club (minus Love in This Club lol)..

Originally Posted by Jiffyl00b

Anyone think, the label is goin to do a re-release for this album like they did with Confessions?

If so they should add "Play Me", "Echo" and "Dat Girl Right There" (I heard the mastered version and it sounds really dope to me, definately a banger). I dont think adding another club banger wouldnt hurt.

I'm 95% sure they're gonna do it. Everyone is releasing "Deluxe" editions these days to help sales. Matter of fact, Fergie justre-released hers today.

Originally Posted by DMV is RNB

she got her door locked and the lock dont fit your key.. yet you punchin' other numbers in the ADT.. and you're wonderin' how the **** I let this happen to me.. better not feed.. feed.. feed that appetite..
Usher is a beast
pimp.gif
Considering Usher didn't write the song... quoting any of his lyrics isn't exactly a good way of showcasing his talent
laugh.gif

Anyway... I have listened to this album over and over the past week. Over and Over. Musically... I am a huge Usher fan, so this CD was highly anticipated for me. After listening so many times, I have to say that the intent is absolutely there, and the effort is 100% there. And from that standpoint, I give Usher all the credit in the world. My number 1 problem with many artists these days is that they just simply DO NOT evolve. They never show growth, and that's why you have 41 year old legends with gold extensions in their hair up in the club sippin patrone with 10 year olds
indifferent.gif

Musically, Usher said... "I'm not doing the autotune, I'm not joining in any trends... I'm gonna do what I'm feelin." Usher is 30 years old now, and this album absolutely reflects that. In fact, he nailed it growth wise. I truly appreciated that he was not afraid to do that... it just needed to be communicated better musically.

The only problem with the album is that, musically, he tried to show growth and often times came up with a stale product. And conceptually, the lyrics and the song themes began to get monotonous. His constant repetition of the theme of monogamy got on my *%#%$$! nerves. We get it Usher... you married your bulldog, and you're proud of her. But every song was using the same rehashed theme and at the end of the CD, it was just like "ok... enough already."

The production on the album was definitely less than stellar. JD could have come waaay harder, and Will I Am should be ashamed of himself with the trash he has been making lately and giving to people.

Musical Evolution/Growth - 5/5
Vocals - 4/5
Music - 3/5
Overall - 3-3.5/5

Usher is gonna get some backlash from this album in upcoming weeks (he already is from review sites and magazines)... but I still appreciate the CD. It doesn't compare to 8701 or Confessions... but you will see him make up for that with his re-release. I can guarantee that you will see some bangers on that re-release to ensure that his album sales remain high.

Whats good fam? I was waiting for your review
laugh.gif

Side Note: Didn't Confessions get some average reviews as well?

i can't believe "Dat Girl Right There" got left off the album. next to moving mountains, it was the track i was most looking forward to seeing onthe album

The more I listen to this album, the more I think people are hating prematurely.. It's definitely grown on me.. So it sounds different than the previous 2albums which were awesome.. Big deal!

My favorite joints off this album are
Best Thing
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Appetite
smokin.gif

What's a Man to Do
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Revolver
smokin.gif

Chivalry
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Lifetime is my favorite joint after a few listens
quoted for the damn truth

it was a pain waiting it out until tuesday(I decided not to download it and bought the CD at 8AM tuesday before class
laugh.gif
...).

Been listening to it all week.
Trading places...
smile.gif
tired.gif
grin.gif
confused, not bad but not
eek.gif
, won't be skipped though
moving mountains(the "epic"
laugh.gif
)...I guess it can be epic butit's good nonetheless, the new mix is better
something special is something special
pimp.gif
it got that "warm summerday, skipping(yea...pause) through the park with the person you love" type feel
love you gently...I like it more and more everytime I hear it but I don't think it'll be GREAT to me
best thing
pimp.gif
crack
his mistakes...I played that song out already when I got it a few months ago, good though
appetite...at first I was
mad.gif
all I saw were
pimp.gif
when I read about it and expected heat. Wasn't what I thought but once I gotthat out my head the song became
pimp.gif
anyway, you gotta find the
pimp.gif
for yourself though
what's a man to do may very well be the song I listen to all summer
pimp.gif

here I stand is slow for me but still not bad, and I'm mad they got a damn 2+ minute break between that and will work for love...who does that?

the other songs are
grin.gif
at best for me(this aint sex, what's your name,intro/interlude), not horrible but nothing special at all. I don't skip them yet though, maybe they'll grow on me like the rest of the CD.

overall I'm very happy I waited, very good CD IMO. You guys gotta realize confessions can't be duplicated, setting the bar too high.

You guys gotta realize confessions can't be duplicated, setting the bar too high.

Yeah, I hear that...but...IMO, Usher has gotten better with each album he has put out....I haven't given it a listen yet, but is it a big drop off fromconfessions? It seems like the reviews here on NT are very mixed....IMO,My Way was better than USHER, 8701 was better than My Way, and Confessions was betterthan 8701....so, where would you put Here I Stand? The bar was set high, but was it really out of the realm of possibility that this is a stinker? A lot ofrespected dudes in the musical world have had at least one forgettable album.

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

You guys gotta realize confessions can't be duplicated, setting the bar too high.

Yeah, I hear that...but...IMO, Usher has gotten better with each album he has put out....I haven't given it a listen yet, but is it a big drop off from confessions? It seems like the reviews here on NT are very mixed....IMO,My Way was better than USHER, 8701 was better than My Way, and Confessions was better than 8701....so, where would you put Here I Stand? The bar was set high, but was it really out of the realm of possibility that this is a stinker? A lot of respected dudes in the musical world have had at least one forgettable album.

for me, I would put this album right around the 8701 level.
Some people consider 8701 a classic but I don't, good album/great songs but not classic.
I would say 8701 is a little better, but I've heard 8701 since 8/7/01, I've heard here I stand since tuesday. I'm trying to draw a comparison foryou, and I guess I'd say Usher on Here I Stand is the older version to Usher on 8701
ohwell.gif
I tried.

Back
Top Bottom