Verizon CEO confirms plans for tiered data pricing

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Originally Posted by jumpman247

Sprint better not do this.

Word when my contract ends...Sprint here i come
This would probably count as a material change to the service contract -- unless it only affects new policies.

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Word when my contract ends...Sprint here i come
This would probably count as a material change to the service contract -- unless it only affects new policies.

Originally Posted by jehims

wouldn't this also be considered good news for people that uses less data?
if the base price is $30...then we're all taking a hit to the face (nomo)
he didnt even say if the price will go up or down lets just sit back and wait
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by jehims

wouldn't this also be considered good news for people that uses less data?
if the base price is $30...then we're all taking a hit to the face (nomo)
he didnt even say if the price will go up or down lets just sit back and wait
nerd.gif

[h4]Sprint CEO hints unlimited data could end if usage gets crazy[/h4]
By Chris Ziegler  posted Sep 22nd 2010 7:45PM
So far, Sprint's been steadfast in its commitment to keeping caps off its data plans -- a big selling point since AT&T's moved to tiered pricing and Verizon has threatened to do the same -- but the laws of supply and demand sadly still exist, and Sprint CEO Dan Hesse knows it. In speaking at the Emerging Technologies Conference at MIT today, Hesse mentioned that his company "can offer unlimited as long as the usage is reasonable," suggesting that a glut of extremely heavy users (you probably know who you are) could ultimately mean he "can't afford to do that anymore." Torrenting off a tethered EVO is fun, yes -- especially when you're on WiMAX -- but just remember: it might ultimately come back to bite you.

http://www.engadget.com/2...end-if-usage-gets-crazy/

[h4]Sprint CEO hints unlimited data could end if usage gets crazy[/h4]
By Chris Ziegler  posted Sep 22nd 2010 7:45PM
So far, Sprint's been steadfast in its commitment to keeping caps off its data plans -- a big selling point since AT&T's moved to tiered pricing and Verizon has threatened to do the same -- but the laws of supply and demand sadly still exist, and Sprint CEO Dan Hesse knows it. In speaking at the Emerging Technologies Conference at MIT today, Hesse mentioned that his company "can offer unlimited as long as the usage is reasonable," suggesting that a glut of extremely heavy users (you probably know who you are) could ultimately mean he "can't afford to do that anymore." Torrenting off a tethered EVO is fun, yes -- especially when you're on WiMAX -- but just remember: it might ultimately come back to bite you.

http://www.engadget.com/2...end-if-usage-gets-crazy/

It's not just VZW that's doing this.
I was reading about it this summer. Verizon is just the first

It's not just VZW that's doing this.
I was reading about it this summer. Verizon is just the first

There is a delicate balance between greedy data users and greedy telecoms. Usually it ends bad for consumers, but the industry is ultra competitive so I'm sure someone will come out with an unlimited data product.

The general rule is 20% of people are hogging up 80% of the data used. That's the problem, it's not proportionate. It's sort of like an all you can eat buffet, some people go for the variety and eat a normal portion, on which the restaurant makes a profit or breaks even; some, however, pig out and eat so much that the buffet losses money on that transaction.

There is a delicate balance between greedy data users and greedy telecoms. Usually it ends bad for consumers, but the industry is ultra competitive so I'm sure someone will come out with an unlimited data product.

The general rule is 20% of people are hogging up 80% of the data used. That's the problem, it's not proportionate. It's sort of like an all you can eat buffet, some people go for the variety and eat a normal portion, on which the restaurant makes a profit or breaks even; some, however, pig out and eat so much that the buffet losses money on that transaction.

i know for some this is bad news but i like it.

if they made a data plan for maybe $10 or $15 I will definitely be all over it.
smile.gif

i know for some this is bad news but i like it.

if they made a data plan for maybe $10 or $15 I will definitely be all over it.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom