Verizon FiOS Service

So I have AT&T and it's slow, and it sucks, and basically I want something faster. I hear Verizon FiOS is basically as good as it gets unless I get aT1 line, and that's 400 bucks a month, so that's not going to happen.

So my question is, does anyone on niketalk use Verizon FiOS, and how do you like it? Is it worth the 42 bucks a month?

-Jacob

I been on NikeTalk today for 2 minutes

you have to make sure u have fiber optic cables installed in your neighborhood. ATT has the same thing called uverse or something..
if you live in a big city you less than likely have this available...

but I know att version offers like up to 10 MB a second download speeds... thats rediculous

I'm a little hazy on my info tho

I'm in South Philly and there's still no FiOS here either. Goddamn Comcast monopoly.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I don't understand why San Jose's main internet providers are Comcast, Covad, AT&T, and Earthlink.

Why is it so hard for companies to bring internet services into big cities ?

Originally Posted by jumpman247

I don't understand why San Jose's main internet providers are Comcast, Covad, AT&T, and Earthlink.

I heard that San Jose's cables and wiring are so old that at this point its too expensive to install the Fiber Optics under the ground.

Because mostcities are really developed and for them to bring in new lines means, they would have to dig up roads ALL over the cities to run the lines toeach person. Its easier to have it done in growing cities etc.

Originally Posted by GG0tti

Because mostcities are really developed and for them to bring in new lines means, they would have to dig up roads ALL over the cities to run the lines to each person. Its easier to have it done in growing cities etc.

I see, now it makes sense.

Jacob and all,

Thanks to my comcast bill being entirely wrong, I got a great chance to talk to a guy over there - pause, and what he told me when I mentioned switching toFios is interesting to say the least. For some reason not many people in the mainstream have heard about it. Well basically its something along the lines ofcomcast having an infrastructure in place to do crazy speeds, while verizon will need to completely update it.

He said 160 MEGABYTES/S......yes per second. Blue ray movies D/l'd in 25 secs I think he said.

I googled this for the first time since he mentioned it, and there a very recent article. Below is the only interesting stuff:

"The Comcast service will offer up to 50Mb/s download speeds and 5Mb/s upload for no price increase. Comcast saidit will provide up to 100Mb/s within two years and 160Mb/s in the future.Currently, Comcast's fastest download speed is 16Mb/s."

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/comcast_change_manages_internet_0407/

I remember back in the day, everybody had dial-up with AOL or netzero then switched to sbc dsl. Now everybody is on cable by comcast. Point being comcast stillseems very new to me, seems like i only started hearing about this company like 5-7 years ago on commercials and stuff. Now everybody is on their cable system.Anybody know how they managed to take a hold of every household now?

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

Jacob and all,

Thanks to my comcast bill being entirely wrong, I got a great chance to talk to a guy over there - pause, and what he told me when I mentioned switching to Fios is interesting to say the least. For some reason not many people in the mainstream have heard about it. Well basically its something along the lines of comcast having an infrastructure in place to do crazy speeds, while verizon will need to completely update it.

He said 160 MEGABYTES/S......yes per second. Blue ray movies D/l'd in 25 secs I think he said.

I googled this for the first time since he mentioned it, and there a very recent article. Below is the only interesting stuff:

"The Comcast service will offer up to 50Mb/s download speeds and 5Mb/s upload for no price increase. Comcast said it will provide up to 100Mb/s within two years and 160Mb/s in the future. Currently, Comcast's fastest download speed is 16Mb/s."

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/comcast_change_manages_internet_0407/

Damn, I might have to jump to Comcast.

Originally Posted by craxyaznguy

I remember back in the day, everybody had dial-up with AOL or netzero then switched to sbc dsl. Now everybody is on cable by comcast. Point being comcast still seems very new to me, seems like i only started hearing about this company like 5-7 years ago on commercials and stuff. Now everybody is on their cable system. Anybody know how they managed to take a hold of every household now?

�Comcast purchased AT&T Broadband division back in 2001. But SBC bought AT&T and changed it's name to AT&T. It's hard to explain peepthis video.

AT&T explained
http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf

FiOS is available in my area but I ain't paying that much a month, plus I heart Directv!

Btw, verizon kinda like dug up a portion of everyone's yard in the neighborhood (ours too even tho we didn't order it). Are they even allowed to dothat
laugh.gif
. Once prices go down we'll get it, but idk when cause stillwaiting to get an HDTV
mad.gif

Comcast is full of crap. They said they would have FIOS speeds 2 years ago and the best I can get in LA is 8mb down.Also, comcasts service sucks, the day FIOSbecomes available in Los Angeles I'll be on that like Kobe on white women.

Back
Top Bottom