Verizon making attempt to change the Internet as we know it.

Clyde Frog

formerly jay02
Think of all the things that tick you off about cable TV. Along with brainless programming and crummy customer service, the very worst aspect of it is forced bundling. You can't pay just for the couple of dozen channels you actually watch. Instead, you have to pay for a couple of hundred channels, because the good stuff is scattered among a number of overstuffed packages.

Now, imagine that the Internet worked that way. You'd hate it, of course. But that's the direction that Verizon, with the support of many wired and wireless carriers, would like to push the Web. That's not hypothetical. The country's No. 1 carrier is fighting in court to end the Federal Communications Commission's policy of Net neutrality, a move that would open the gates to a whole new -- and wholly bad -- economic model on the Web.

As it stands now, you pay your Internet service provider and go wherever you want on the Web. Packets of bits are just packets and have to be treated equally. That's the essence of Net neutrality. But Verizon's plan, which the company has outlined during hearings in federal court and before Congress, would change that. Verizon and its allies would like to charge websites that carry popular content for the privilege of moving their packets to your connected device. Again, that's not hypothetical.

ESPN, for example, is in negotiations with at least one major cellular carrier to pay to exempt its content from subscribers' cellular data caps. And what's wrong with that? Well, ESPN is big and rich and can pay for that exemption, but other content providers -- think of your local jazz station that streams audio -- couldn't afford it and would be out of business. Or, they'd make you pay to visit their websites. Indeed, if that system had been in place 10 years ago, fledglings like Google or YouTube or Facebook might never have gotten out of the nest.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-indu...al-plan-turn-the-web-pay-view-226662?page=0,0

Just in general how long do you think the Internet will remain wild and free (for the most part) like it is now? I think the younger generations aren't as involved as they should be when it comes to voting or excercising their rights and powers, but I think if there is anything that would give an incentive to do so, it would to be to protect the Internet. Not that older generations don't care about the Internet, but I think there's different priorities. I am confident that if there's anything we the people can all agree on and have the power to prevent, it's to stop anyone from changing the Internet for the sake of being a power trip (the government), or greed (these corporations). I mean we have the Internet itself as tool to use. I would also hope that the Googles and Facebooks stick to their roots and help.

I'm not really sure how likely it is or if Verizon has the power to start making these changes but the fact they're making an attempt irritates me enough to bring it up.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous
mean.gif

Didn't they implement a bill payment fee at one point? Where you had to pay a convenience fee to pay your bill? :lol:

Verizon seems like a crummy, greedy corporation anyway, that doesn't care about consumer wants or needs, but only how they can capitalize off of us. Just like the useless bloatware apps that are stuck on our phones that we can't delete. I'm sure they made a pretty penny from that. Also the elimination of unlimited data and the bs rationale they gave us talking about "it's better for the customer because you only get as much data as you need" whatever. I'm glad I was grandfathered with unlimited data. Screw you vzw.

Last edited:
I would be hurt if they had data plans on the internet, as much as I..................

Unlimited internet data for $99 :smh:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-indu...al-plan-turn-the-web-pay-view-226662?page=0,0

Just in general how long do you think the Internet will remain wild and free (for the most part) like it is now? I think the younger generations aren't as involved as they should be when it comes to voting or excercising their rights and powers, but I think if there is anything that would give an incentive to do so, it would to be to protect the Internet. Not that older generations don't care about the Internet, but I think there's different priorities. I am confident that if there's anything we the people can all agree on and have the power to prevent, it's to stop anyone from changing the Internet for the sake of being a power trip (the government), or greed (these corporations). I mean we have the Internet itself as tool to use. I would also hope that the Googles and Facebooks stick to their roots and help.

I'm not really sure how likely it is or if Verizon has the power to start making these changes but the fact they're making an attempt irritates me enough to bring it up.
There already are two internets. There is the internet we access through our computers and the one we access through mobile devices. Think about all of the content you can't watch because of the limits the carriers or content providers have put in place.

It was bound to happen.

From a functional standpoint, cable tv was an early form of the internet ans subscriber lines.

Once it waned in popularity as it is now, they would have nowhere else to bring their monopoly game but to the internet.

They are gonna have to make a new new commercial code to deal with internet commerce. They are already dealing with the state sales tax issue.

This is yet another issue that puts the state against federal level. I honestly think we have a better chance of having a war over the internet rather than another civil war. This is one of the few issues that unite young americans.

We need to stop giving these greedy corps our money en masse.

We are giving them the go ahead to do whatever they want because we continue to pay for stuff we don't like or want.

Why should I pay for access certain youtube channels?

I'm gonna be sounding like an old man when I say " I remember whan youtube was free".

Last edited:
It doesn't even amaze me any more. We need to learn from past generations and come together to fight these corporate blood suckers. It seems as if people have become complacent and these corporations are loving it. We're moving backwards in regards to everything our grandparents fought for. From being paid less/no benefits, to the safety of our food being put into the hands of the very people that only see profit margins. The funny thing is they're so bold, that they're doing all of this right before our eyes lol.

What is going to happen to small businesses that open a website for their store or company? No one is going to be able to visit the site? The company itself has to pay isps to be included in their packages? You can't treat the Internet like cable, there is infinitely more content.

The two things we have going for us are our wallets and our voice. Speak up, don't purchase.

Reactions: wr
Back
Top Bottom