• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess it can be considered a downside because it's 1080 but it's a very good screen IMO. Plus it being 1080 will let you better battery life and performance
Agreed. Have the phone and the screen is phenomenal. Compared it side by side with my brothsrs pixel 2 XL. Not a huge difference imo

Very satisfied with my LG G7 battery life compared to my S9

Screenshot_2018-07-01-21-54-40.png

I would've got the V35 personally, but good pick up nonetheless. My boy's V30 is noticeably faster than my S8+ in certain tasks.

Was pleased with the G4 purchase I made a while ago. Camera was amazing, battery life was good, the placement of the power/volume rocker was intuitive, but the dreaded bootloop issue took place. LG repaired it for free, but feel like I sold it for a low price for the S7 I want to say. Don't completely remember.

We'll see, but pretty set on the three phones I want I'm looking at. Pixel 2 XL would be the best bang for your buck, but the design is wacky.

Permanent LTE exploits steer users to rogue websites
The only surefire solution is to limit the kinds of sites you visit.
dims

Jon Fingas, 20h ago
LTE was theoretically supposed to fix the security holes baked into earlier wireless standards, but it isn't completely immune. An international team of researchers has discovered a attack methods (nicknamed aLTEr) that takes advantage of inherent flaws in LTE to direct users to hostile websites. An active exploit uses the lack of integrity checks in LTE's lower layers to modify the text inside a data packet. Since that's easy to determine with DNS packets, which direct traffic to website addresses, you can steer requests to malicious DNS servers and thus take the user to a website of your choice.

A passive attack, meanwhile, uses a sniffing device near the user to intercept leaked info about a user's LTE data transmissions (when and how much data they use, for instance) and compares those to data 'fingerprints' for popular websites. If there's a match, you know where they're going despite encryption ostensibly keeping the destination a secret.

These attacks aren't exactly trivial. You need to be physically close to your target, and sniffing hardware isn't cheap (Ars Technicaplaces the cost at roughly $4,000). Whoever uses the attacks will likely be either a committed thief or a surveillance agency. The problem, as you might have gathered, is that you can't patch against this. Your best bet is to only visit sites using HTTP Strict Transport Security or DNS Security extensions, and that isn't always easy. Although the like of facing an attack isn't that high, there might not be a permanent solution until you're using 5G.

was in grand cayman last week. took my iphone 7 into 3 feet of water for 2 minutes to snap ONE picture. phone is almost completely useless already. charging port basically is broken. it charges at a rate of 30% in 8 hours. a crack somehow formed under the screen (tf?) and moisture is stuck inside under the screen which is slowly drying up over time. touch id broke. since iphone has a fake home button, the presses barely register now. what a joke that IP67 rating is. and of course, water damage of any kind isnt covered under warranty.

please tell me the galaxy s9+ can actually go into water without dying.

was in grand cayman last week. took my iphone 7 into 3 feet of water for 2 minutes to snap ONE picture. phone is almost completely useless already. charging port basically is broken. it charges at a rate of 30% in 8 hours. a crack somehow formed under the screen (tf?) and moisture is stuck inside under the screen which is slowly drying up over time. touch id broke. since iphone has a fake home button, the presses barely register now. what a joke that IP67 rating is. and of course, water damage of any kind isnt covered under warranty.

please tell me the galaxy s9+ can actually go into water without dying.
It must've been salt water bro. No waterproof or Water resistent phones can go in salt water or chlorine water. To answer your question though, my S8+ did pretty good when I dropped it in my tub once and use it in the rain every now and then. I just have to make sure the charging port is dry.

I guess it can be considered a downside because it's 1080 but it's a very good screen IMO. Plus it being 1080 will let you better battery life and performance

i feel like for everyday use, 1080p is perfectly fine. most people consume media in 1080p so if it helps keep costs down, I'm for it.

It must've been salt water bro. No waterproof or Water resistent phones can go in salt water or chlorine water. To answer your question though, my S8+ did pretty good when I dropped it in my tub once and use it in the rain every now and then. I just have to make sure the charging port is dry.

yea definitely salt water. i dont get it tho. adding salt to water = death to a water resistant up to 30 minute electronic? the visual of that in my head is hilarious lol. since me typing up the last post, the touchID/home button is working again. But the charging is still dead slow. I took the phone to a high rated repair shop yesterday to get it cleaned out and have the port replaced if necessary. starting at $90 smfh. dude was like "the waterproof seal will be gone after we open the phone up." waterproof seal aint do **** when it was there, i cant miss it when its gone.

yea definitely salt water. i dont get it tho. adding salt to water = death to a water resistant up to 30 minute electronic? the visual of that in my head is hilarious lol. since me typing up the last post, the touchID/home button is working again. But the charging is still dead slow. I took the phone to a high rated repair shop yesterday to get it cleaned out and have the port replaced if necessary. starting at $90 smfh. dude was like "the waterproof seal will be gone after we open the phone up." waterproof seal aint do **** when it was there, i cant miss it when its gone.

The salt in ocean water can accelerate corrosive reactions in the phone. I imagine it would take a much more rugged seal to protect from salt water.
When they make these phones water resistant they're testing them under lab conditions with fresh water. Salt water is a different beast.

The salt in ocean water can accelerate corrosive reactions in the phone. I imagine it would take a much more rugged seal to protect from salt water.
When they make these phones water resistant they're testing them under lab conditions with fresh water. Salt water is a different beast.
i get long term effects. but i mean INSTANT effects? like... on contact kind of damage? that seems a bit off imo. but im no expert

You said you took it into about a meter of salt water for 2 minutes. That pressure over time adds up I'd assume.
i dont want to derail the thread over a trash *** iphone, but it was underwater for a grand total of 20 seconds. it was getting hit by the water cuz of waves probably for a total of 2 minutes if i had to guess. i just expected a better result than glitchy brick cuz it was in the ocean for 2 minutes with that ip67 rating. i see that ive overestimated the resilience of that rating. which is wild when u see videos of people leaving their phones in a bucket of water for a whole day and its fine. but add salt to that water and its luck of the draw lol

i just know not to trust that water-resistant bla bla bla crap next time

i dont want to derail the thread over a trash *** iphone, but it was underwater for a grand total of 20 seconds. it was getting hit by the water cuz of waves probably for a total of 2 minutes if i had to guess. i just expected a better result than glitchy brick cuz it was in the ocean for 2 minutes with that ip67 rating. i see that ive overestimated the resilience of that rating. which is wild when u see videos of people leaving their phones in a bucket of water for a whole day and its fine. but add salt to that water and its luck of the draw lol

i just know not to trust that water-resistant bla bla bla crap next time

Yeah I'd rather not test the limits of the IP ratings. My phone is IP68 and the most I'll do is give it a quick rinse under the sink if it's really dirty.

I know a bunch of people take their phones in the shower to play music and whatever, but I'm afraid to even do that. My sister's iPhone 7 got condensation under the front camera from just being in the bathroom while she showered. The IP rating doesn't cover water vapor I suppose.

All in all I really appreciate phones being IP rated but I see it as accidental coverage rather than a greenlight.

Yeah I'd rather not test the limits of the IP ratings. My phone is IP68 and the most I'll do is give it a quick rinse under the sink if it's really dirty.

I know a bunch of people take their phones in the shower to play music and whatever, but I'm afraid to even do that. My sister's iPhone 7 got condensation under the front camera from just being in the bathroom while she showered. The IP rating doesn't cover water vapor I suppose.

All in all I really appreciate phones being IP rated but I see it as accidental coverage rather than a greenlight.

i know better now. i hesitate to even call it coverage cuz nothing involving water is covered lol. kinda wack. tmobile quoting me $250 for a replacement. nope. screw that seal, replace charger port... cross fingers.

Pretty set on giving the OnePlus experience a chance. Just deciding between the 6 and the 5T. Going have to be patient either way with my spending/saving habits if I'm dead set on upgrading, but would like to give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom