Want to Change the World? Vol. KONY 2012

You know that 95% of those that posted this as a status on facebook won't do +@#%.
Purchased my action kit.

Originally Posted by Mr4thQuarter

This movement is nice and all but... why are people so concerned over this instead of the problems their own nation (specifically, our own US)  faces? There are issues we should be addressing within our own nation and if creating a movement causes change then why aren't people standing up for our rights being taken away day by day. Everyone says that our nation can care less about us, yet this movement wants me to believe that it'll do something about some dude out in Africa? Hard to believe. Not taking away from the cause but there are far more important things to be concerned with or to stand up for. Soon we might end up in the same position as them, slaves to a system unable to escape if no action is placed.

Ill ask you this, what do you have to lose?....at the most 35$ for kit...even if it's a gimmick or it won't work...you did your part and all it took was a few bucks....is really a no brainer, can't believe people in here are actually on te opposite side of the fence with this idea.And I don't know about you, but I had a nice meal, im comfortably in bed and I'm not living in constant fear that I'll be abducted and forced to kill my mother, our "problems" are in no way comparable to the things these kids are going through....hell our "problems" are nothing compared to what people in mOst other places deal with.

Originally Posted by ALDY

tumblr_m0i060H4Lh1qa3t0to1_500.jpg
I can totally see this being made into a tee-shirt
30t6p3b.gif

Anywho, an article a fellow NTer ran across, some may be interested while some much like myself required cliffnotes: http://ilto.wordpress.com...with-invisible-children/

Edit: Story/link above is not to be a wet blanket, just to inform.

Well, this can be historic if pulled off. The first "villain" if you will, being taken down literally by the American people. Not by the government, but my the American people and the fact that they will have been taken down in essence by twitter, Facebook, and tumblr shows just how powerful social media can be if used to its fullest extent. That April night could be epic.

The problem with this is, in a week the movement won't be as strong. In two weeks, it will be even weaker. By mid April, no one will be talking about this. I hope i'm wrong sincerely, but that's the truth. From Tookie's trial, troy davis, jenna 6, etc. all had their week in the spotlight and literally a week later, barely a peep was made in concerning those events. Now i'm not comparing Kony to those events, but I kind of am, in regards to their popularity and how long their popularity is sustained.

It'll be interesting to see where this Kony 2012 campaign goes towards the coming weeks and months, and it'll be interesting to see what politician in this voting year, gets behind Kony 2012 FULLY and FULLY ENDORSES Kony 2012.

I'm behind it all the way though.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

This specific movement could be successful due solely to the fact Kony (according to the video) doesn't stand for any cause except to further his own personal power. Would a movement like this affect a warlord with a cause? I don't believe so. There would be too many left to take over the reigns.

any movement COULD be successful. if you noticed there was at least one other ugandan name in that most wanted list (in fact he was #2), who is to say the other guy won't be worst if/when the vacuum of power kony has is removed? it is a great message with a noble cause, so it is worth passing along…it is at least making people aware. not sure it matters that he doesn't have a "cause," ultimately it is almost always about power (control & influence over people & resources, and how they get distributed)

the message "nothing is more powerful than idea whose time has come" is something i think history shows to be true, and that is inherently the problem; things are only really worked out when the conditions are ripe, and what really seems to make this difficult to see is really only in hindsight that these things can be seen!

the fact that we are so connected means that we are/can be aware of such injustices around the world, and there are many lives affected by them…and the fundamental question that this raises, should anyone not directly affected, get involved?

Originally Posted by spizike231

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

That's very noble of you, I commend you for that if, it is indeed, your true intentions. These folks are all talking about bringing attention to our congress, but there are just astronomical amounts of idiocy surrounding the propagation of this news. The video mentions the producer knowing Jacob for over 10 years....10 years...not to mention the time before the producer was aware of the issue himself. Do we honestly think our government (the most powerful and resourceful on this Earth) is guilt-free of this issue? I'm pretty sure they've known it for years...as much as i want a child-abuser of Kony's extent to burn in hell....what are the chances in our lifetime, if we've already let it slide for so long? History repeats itself, this isn't the first known/ignored genocide we've had....hell even the UN hasn't followed up on its word to end such atrocities.

Our Government HAS known about this fam.. they just haven't done anything because the people didn't know about it for the most part.. they have no reason to do anything about it since it's not threatening US.. but if we, the people, step up and make it known to the Government that WE want something done about it, they're going to listen. The point is to NOT let is slide any longer.. you think that the video producer had the money and time to start Invisible Children overnight? No. This thing is huge and it took 10 years to get it there.. now it's time for everyone to get involved and make our Government help humanity. Even if all you want to do is share a video, it's better than doing nothing. Feel me?
Haven't watched this yet... but judging from comments I'm guessing it's about the genocides going on in Africa?  Western democracies have known about this for so long, yet they refuse to do anything.  It's been acknowledged multiple times, yet never referred to as "genocide" by the government because of the consequences that word will bring.  It's great seeing all these people finally realizing what's going on in the world around them , maybe something will actually change.  But to be realistic, I doubt much will actually be done. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by tokes99

Originally Posted by Vendetta

This specific movement could be successful due solely to the fact Kony (according to the video) doesn't stand for any cause except to further his own personal power. Would a movement like this affect a warlord with a cause? I don't believe so. There would be too many left to take over the reigns.

any movement COULD be successful. if you noticed there was at least one other ugandan name in that most wanted list (in fact he was #2), who is to say the other guy won't be worst if/when the vacuum of power kony has is removed? it is a great message with a noble cause, so it is worth passing along…it is at least making people aware. not sure it matters that he doesn't have a "cause," ultimately it is almost always about power (control & influence over people & resources, and how they get distributed)

the message "nothing is more powerful than idea whose time has come" is something i think history shows to be true, and that is inherently the problem; things are only really worked out when the conditions are ripe, and what really seems to make this difficult to see is really only in hindsight that these things can be seen!

the fact that we are so connected means that we are/can be aware of such injustices around the world, and there are many lives affected by them…and the fundamental question that this raises, should anyone not directly affected, get involved?

When the people of Uganda are begging for help, and gladly coming over here to speak on their behalf of hoping that this movement does everything possible to save their lives and their families lives, I believe that yes. We should get involved. As a country powerful enough to help them take this guy out, ( and keep in mind that if we train their government and military to better hunt and kill people like Kony, I'm sure that they will be able to do the same for #2 on the list on their own, and anyone who tries it after that) I think that the U.S. should answer cries of help seeing as we can.

Our troops were in the middle east for a long time fighting a war that many of us didn't see fit. This problem is something that many of us are united in believing in, and we see fit.

Originally Posted by spizike231

This movement is nice and all but... why are people so concerned over this instead of the problems their own nation (specifically, our own US)  faces? There are issues we should be addressing within our own nation and if creating a movement causes change then why aren't people standing up for our rights being taken away day by day. Everyone says that our nation can care less about us, yet this movement wants me to believe that it'll do something about some dude out in Africa? Hard to believe. Not taking away from the cause but there are far more important things to be concerned with or to stand up for. Soon we might end up in the same position as them, slaves to a system unable to escape if no action is placed.

Dude already has a set plan and it is in progress homie.

Go ahead and create a movement and devise a plan to stop all of our nations problems and im sure it will attract this much attention if its as good as this is.. but good luck because our Harvard grads in office have been trying to do that for some time now.
eyes.gif
Huh? Are you telling me to do it myself and wishing me good luck on it holding as much importance as kids becoming soldiers/sex slaves? Also saying that our harvard grads in office ( Government?) have been trying to do the same? I don't know where to begin but I'll say that our own government is the problem. The elected officials are not representing this country in the way that they should. There is far too much disconnect from our people to the government.

Anyway, that isn't even what I was speaking on. People are jumping all on this cause when the funds and effort can be made towards our nation and fix the same things in which our citizens complain over.

while i can agree with you that many in the US have it bad, what "more important things" in this country should we be more concerned about than the abduction, sexual enslavement and militarization of tens of thousands of children?
We have it no where near as bad as they do, I agree. However, the things I'm referring to are our economic troubles, our rights being taken away, the injustices that are citizens are dealt with, and the increasing number of diseases and epidemics. To be specific, the stock market, foreclosure crisis, spike in gas prices, NDAA, PIPA, super viruses... etc.

were still trying to make that better as well, but with all the idiots in politics it will take a while.also, just something I learned, other hard times in the past in the U.S.A has resulted in losing our rights.
That's the problem, the people we placed in office aren't doing their jobs. All around the world people are standing up to their government demanding change for the rights they are not given. We were given inalienable rights when the country was established and now they are being taken away. If history tends to repeat itself isn't it only a matter of time until we are going to need to follow the trend and stand up for our rights?

Son.. You dont know how lucky you are to live in the US rather than Uganda. Kids 7-15 have it way harder than you've ever had

And? What you're saying is that we should completely abandon thinking about our nations economic and social crisis's and focus our efforts and attention on them solely, completely ignoring the hole we have allowed our nation to get into? Great idea.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

I spend hundreds of dollars on sneakers and other useless things, buying the action pack and 25 posters was a no brainer for me.

Completely agree...kit purchased, video shared...about to even post this on my business blog.
yeah im trynna incorporate this into my business some how.. Like if you purchase a kit You get my services free or some type of discount..or partial purchase go towards the cause.

Originally Posted by SalviBoy7

Want to change the World ?

dyr7kw.jpg

roll.gif
it's funny because it doesn't seem like you understand how powerful the internet and social media is.
eyes.gif

Ill ask you this, what do you have to lose?....at the most 35$ for kit...even if it's a gimmick or it won't work...you did your part and all it took was a few bucks....is really a no brainer, can't believe people in here are actually on te opposite side of the fence with this idea.And I don't know about you, but I had a nice meal, im comfortably in bed and I'm not living in constant fear that I'll be abducted and forced to kill my mother, our "problems" are in no way comparable to the things these kids are going through....hell our "problems" are nothing compared to what people in mOst other places deal with.
Like I said, I commend the cause. If the freedom of these kids was to happen it would be an spectacular thing but who is to say that someone else won't take his place? How difficult would it be to ensure that it doesn't happen again from our side of the world to theirs? Extremely difficult. 35$ makes a big difference to a lot of our citizens as they barely get by and sometimes even fall in debt. While im not living in fear of getting abducted there are many other concerns in which I have that my efforts can be given to. To those living lavishly without a problem in the world, by all means contribute but how can they ignore that there are deep rooted problems within our country? Our problems are no where near the same as theirs but if we don't do anything about them who is to say we will even be in a position to help any in distress in the future?

April 20th will change the course of history
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Mos def will be helping out for the cause as well.

Like I said, I commend the cause. If the freedom of these kids was to happen it would be an spectacular thing but who is to say that someone else won't take his place? How difficult would it be to ensure that it doesn't happen again from our side of the world to theirs? Extremely difficult. 35$ makes a big difference to a lot of our citizens as they barely get by and sometimes even fall in debt. While im not living in fear of getting abducted there are many other concerns in which I have that my efforts can be given to. To those living lavishly without a problem in the world, by all means contribute but how can they ignore that there are deep rooted problems within our country? Our problems are no where near the same as theirs but if we don't do anything about them who is to say we will even be in a position to help any in distress in the future?

Not to be rude, but every single one of your arguments has been answered in here.

It's your money, but man this could seriously make history showing how powerful the world is when we unite in something that we all agree on.

Son.. You dont know how lucky you are to live in the US rather than Uganda. Kids 7-15 have it way harder than you've ever had

And? What you're saying is that we should completely abandon thinking about our nations economic and social crisis's and focus our efforts and attention on them solely, completely ignoring the hole we have allowed our nation to get into? Great idea.

you do know that people can care/contribute to more than one cause at a time right?
eyes.gif

http://ilto.wordpress.com...with-invisible-children/

Do you guys think this article is still relevant?
Some quotes.

"And back to Uganda. Uganda is no longer experiencing violence from the LRA. Yes, I said it. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but it is a truth. For about the last year, since before IC hit the scene, Kony and his troops have been pushed into Congo, into the Garamba National Forest there. He’s sick, starving, and on his last legs. For the first time, Uganda is in the middle of real peace talks and the rebels have laid down their arms and are assembling to make peace. Why? This is happening because Joseph Kony was defeated. The Uganda People’s Defense Force (UPDF) has beaten them back and Kony was sitting in Congo starving to death. Since March 2002, the UPDF has been allowed to carry out raids against the LRA into Southern Sudan and has even crossed into Congo, to the distress of most of the African community. Nonetheless, Operation Iron Fist, as this military offensive was called, has freed many child soldiers and sex slaves and brought them back to Uganda. The rebels again became very violent in 2003, but since 2004, the Ugandan government has been repeatedly beating the rebels and weakening them. Uganda is no longer allowed to enter Sudan or Congo to fight the LRA."

"Invisible Children is too late. It has taught us that MTV type media can get university students interested in a world crisis, the problem is it took too much time. Night commuting, outlined as one of the major problems in northern Uganda by the film, is practically non-existent now. Why? Peace is coming to the region. According to UN reports, children who still are commuting at night are not doing it because of safety concerns, but because they want to enjoy the amenities that NGO’s are offering in the towns, like Gulu, Kitgum, and Lira. At the peak of the commuting, there were between 30,000 and 40,000 children commuting. Now, estimates are below 10,000."

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

you do know that people can care/contribute to more than one cause at a time right?
eyes.gif

Americans gave an estimated 300 billion dollars to charity last year. Poverty increased. Does anybody else see a problem with this charity system? 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

eyes.gif
Americans gave an estimated 300 billion dollars to charity last year. Poverty increased. Does anybody else see a problem with this charity system? 
There's also problems with Social Security, welfare, Medicare, etc., but those have to be fixed one at a time. Why don't we just solve this problem first while it has momentum?

Anyone read this?

http://visiblechildren.tu...890947431/we-got-trouble

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

Anyone read this?

http://visiblechildren.tu...890947431/we-got-trouble

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries

Back
Top Bottom