Wanted to get some input

T Lo Sweater

formerly troyd
I was laid off in October and had found a job in March (finding a good gig is too hard these days)

Anyways this job is really good. I love my co workers, we joke, the pay is decent (could be better but still good), work is super easy. I would definitely stay here for a while and move on up in the company. It's easy to do so

But a new job fell in my lap a few days ago. My friend mentions me in a Facebook comment. The post was about a job that was hiring for a graphic designer (this is what I went to school for). Even tho im comfy with my job I still wanted to see what's up with this new one.

So I talk to the guy who made the post and turns out he was a recruiter trying to get someone in that position. He sets up my interview and the job does seem like a good opportunity. Shorter commute, more pay, OT available everyday after 5pm, more pay etc

I'll know if I got the job Monday or Tuesday but even if I got it I'm still a bit cautious if I should even take it. Last year I was in a similar position where I wanted to leave this one job. Found it, started this new work, but the employers lied about my pay and schedule. Then laid me off

I would hate for a similar situation to happen here, and be left without a job again. But this opportunity does seem like it would make a whole lot of sense for me, then again it's like I just started my current job like 4 months ago and I'd hate to leave so soon. But i do have to do what's right for me at the end of the day

What do you guys think?

do your research and make sure the job is legit. research work environment and all that good stuff. you went to school for that type of work and life is short and opportunities don't present themselves that often.

Good luck fam

the new job sounds good. everything seems better
do you know anyone at the job? ask them how they like it... find out what they don't like about it.

the overall morale of the workplace is a big indicator of the atmosphere and the management at a company

Goodlooks fam. The company is a reputable one and it's been around for 100+ years. The 3 women i spoken to have all been there for 15+ years so i kinda felt it should be decent if people stay there for that long

I don't know anyone who works there tho unfortunately

Sounds like you've done your research. I wouldn't ask the employer, but ask the recruiter if he knows why the last person left. Also find out how you can grow within the company from the position you're being hired for. If the place you're at has advancement opportunities and the new one doesn't, you may be stuck doing the same thing and earning only yearly raises while in your current job you could advance over time.

Sounds like you've done your research. I wouldn't ask the employer, but ask the recruiter if he knows why the last person left. Also find out how you can grow within the company from the position you're being hired for. If the place you're at has advancement opportunities and the new one doesn't, you may be stuck doing the same thing and earning only yearly raises while in your current job you could advance over time.

I had asked during the interview and they told me that there's 1 person who's leaving at the end of the month. Moving up is definitely something I always want to do at a job, and somehow I that was the 1 question I didn't ask during that interview

Do a Glassdoor search for the company, look it up on LinkedIn etc.

Is graphic design something you had a passion for? I know you said you went to school for it, but have you had a job in I think before? Are you used to the schedule? The deadlines and things needed short term?

I only ask this because you say you have a good gig now. I don't want to get pockets on da mind, but how much more is this job paying if you make the switch? Do you feel that it's really worth leaving a place where you're really settled in good?

I ask all that because those are things I had to ask myself a while back leaving my job for a web designer job. And I definitely feel like I made he right choice.

If there's motivation and drive in you to take on the new challenge and to stretch yourself in order to grow, I say go for it. If the ceiling is higher with the new job, I say take the higher path.

giphy.gif

Can't be scared to grow. That's a lot of people's issue. Like everyone said though, thoroughly research.

Back
Top Bottom