was Jerry Seinfeld a system quarterback in Larry David's offense?

you look back at the show and if you ranked the funniest characters on the show

i think it goes

1.GEORGE.......larry said george was basically his character

2.KRAMER

3.A ELAIN

3.B JERRY

and then you start piecing things together like , why hasnt seinfeld done much/anything in 15 years since the show?

and how does larry continue bringing that heat for curb your enthusiasm? a show thats been running for a decade and that came out just a few years after seinfeld.....

in your opinion is seinfeld just a product of larry's genius?

or could seinfeld re-create that magic or atleast make something on the level of curb your enthusiasm on 

his own?......

Last edited:
You give him the right offense to run he will take you to the play-offs. George been in different offenses and he cant make it into the second year.

You give him the right offense to run he will take you to the play-offs. George been in different offenses and he cant make it into the second year.

Right. If anything, George is the system quarterback. Seinfeld walked away from the game in his prime and chose to grow his money while he could still enjoy his time on top.

Last edited:
Seinfeld was the coach without him the show was nothing

Who cares who was funniest

Jerry didn't want to do another show because he wanted to stay at home wit his family and continue to do stand-up. Homeboy turned down 100 million to do one more season :x

Larry David wasn't even part of the show for the last couple seasons and it still brought the heat. Think he helped write the finale though

Even Larry David and anyone around the show doesn't believe he carried Jerry.

Seinfeld without Jerry = fail

Right. If anything, George is the system quarterback. Seinfeld walked away from the game in his prime and chose to grow his money while he could still enjoy his time on top.
Basically. I don't think he's tried outside of Marriage Ref. I think he's been touring...enjoying his success.

you guys are right about post seinfeld george 
laugh.gif

Jerry didn't want to do another show because he wanted to stay at home wit his family and continue to do stand-up. Homeboy turned down 100 million to do one more season :x

Larry David wasn't even part of the show for the last couple seasons and it still brought the heat. Think he helped write the finale though

100 mill? for one season? That's what? 5 mill an episode? :x

Seinfeld walked away, if he wanted to, he could have a show on any network tomorrow.

Curb is great because Larry is a genius, but they both brought something to the table. Don't mistake Jerry the character for Jerry the writer .. Just because he wasn't the funniest character doesn't mean he wasn't a major part of the comedy behind the scenes

Last edited:
I think Jerry's low-key sarcastic comments were integral to the show. Not as integral as George or Kramer but Jerry was excellent as the straight man in the middle of all the craziness.

Seinfeld defines himself as a comedian first and foremost, that's how he got started and that's what he still does. He starred in and co-wrote arguably the most beloved and successful sitcom ever and with syndication he'll be absurdly wealthy for the rest of his life. What's there left to prove?

Jerry himself said he gave most of the moments to the other actors

there were things in the show written to happen to him but he felt would fit the others better

plus he also wrote with larry

Seinfeld got wacky without Larry. But it was riding some crazy momentum so it had some illusions of greatness. One more year might have turned into something even craziness. Jerry was right to learn when he did

The way Larry and Jerry worked together was that Larry would create a scenario between characters, and Jerry would create the interaction.

One mechanic builds the engine the other one tunes it

One game developer designs the world the other one scripts the gun fights

One without the other won't get far

After Larry left the show's scenarios got a out their and jokes would coming at you quick. Jerry had to create scenarios and like a stand up comic's routine, it got a lil wacky. But like I said every scene was jammed pack wit lulz. Maybe they could have done one more season but not anymore than that.

Last edited:
This is an age old question. I've seen every episode of Seinfeld like a million times, and i've seen all the Curb episodes as well.

To the question whether Jerry was a system quarterback under Larry David is silly, they both co-wrote the episodes, and although you can tell Larry had a bit more influence, they worked perfect off each other. The best seasons of Seinfeld were the middle seasons which were co-written by Jerry and Larry. The last two seasons where Larry left, the episodes were still good, but it became a bit more outlandish and not as witty as the Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld episodes.

With Curb, every season has been great, but one of my favorite seasons is the one with the Seinfeld Reunion. So it goes to show you how well they work together, especially because most of Curb is improvised, and they have just an amazing rapport together.

In my opinion Larry David is the more talented of the two, but that by no means Jerry Seinfeld isn't great in his own right. I think they needed each very much like Shaq and Kobe, where they both were able to do good things after they left each other, although they did not have the drama of a Shaq and Kobe...so not much like Shaq and Kobe, but you get what I mean...

it was Larry's show, Jerry was just the best person to run the show.

Larry is a genius, why do you think CYE is so damn funny even in its 8th season? which a lot of people call the best? you dont see that often, hell actually you never seen a show have its best season 8 years later.

Larry is that dude. Jerry too

you look back at the show and if you ranked the funniest characters on the show

i think it goes

1.GEORGE.......larry said george was basically his character

2.KRAMER

3.A ELAIN

3.B JERRY

and then you start piecing things together like , why hasnt seinfeld done much/anything in 15 years since the show?

and how does larry continue bringing that heat for curb your enthusiasm? a show thats been running for a decade and that came out just a few years after seinfeld.....

in your opinion is seinfeld just a product of larry's genius?

or could seinfeld re-create that magic or atleast make something on the level of curb your enthusiasm on 

his own?......
I like they way you think

repped

Nah, the other reason Jerry stopped was because he didnt want the show to suck. He wanted it to remain on top when it ended.

look it up.

He could have made so much doing that last season but hes smart since hes still killing it off royalties and they barely even show it on TV anymore.

He still would have made a killing off royalties even if the last season sucked. And it's still on TV all the time. TBS shows it everyday. 

Last edited:
Jerry was from a well off family to begin with, plus add his seinfeld money and he really had no reason to continue the show.

But to the Op's point, it was a team effort. Your coach can call great plays, but if he doesnt have the talent to execute perfectly then it fails. Julia, Jerry, Jason and Michael were all great at what they did

Tom brady makes Belicheck look better and vice versa

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom