Was Kenny Anderson The Best PG To Ever Come Out Of NYC?

I remember reading an article about him and four other "greatest high school players of all time" in SLAM back when it was still readable.  Was he really that good?  Names like God Shammgod, Telfair and Marbury instantly come to mind.

I remember reading an article about him and four other "greatest high school players of all time" in SLAM back when it was still readable.  Was he really that good?  Names like God Shammgod, Telfair and Marbury instantly come to mind.

Telfair in a close 2nd....

I mean there have been some LEGENDARY HS hoops players outta NYC...

Cousy
Marbury
Strickland
Jackson

but Kenny Anderson was on another level (in HS) 

Telfair in a close 2nd....

I mean there have been some LEGENDARY HS hoops players outta NYC...

Cousy
Marbury
Strickland
Jackson

but Kenny Anderson was on another level (in HS) 

I always hear people mention Telfair as the greatest to ever come out of NYC, but it's hard for me to accept. I know what he accomplished and the hype that surrounded him and I respect that, but like... I was there. I watched him play and we PLAYED him. I never felt like he was on another planet talent or performance wise (I'd also seen him outplayed.)

Don't get me wrong, there was no question that he was really really good (great, even.) At that point I was convinced you could put him on any basketball court in the world and he'd get 10 assists. I've just never been sold on him being the GREATEST. I struggle to even accept top 5.

I always hear people mention Telfair as the greatest to ever come out of NYC, but it's hard for me to accept. I know what he accomplished and the hype that surrounded him and I respect that, but like... I was there. I watched him play and we PLAYED him. I never felt like he was on another planet talent or performance wise (I'd also seen him outplayed.)

Don't get me wrong, there was no question that he was really really good (great, even.) At that point I was convinced you could put him on any basketball court in the world and he'd get 10 assists. I've just never been sold on him being the GREATEST. I struggle to even accept top 5.

Tiny Archibald 
pimp.gif

Bob cousy. New York City Legend

IMO Telfair wasnt better than guys like Khalid Reeves or Derrick Phelps.

Bob cousy. New York City Legend

IMO Telfair wasnt better than guys like Khalid Reeves or Derrick Phelps.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Real interested to see how Kemba's NBA career pans out...
Kemba was real nice in hs but he wasn't on Marbury, Telfair and Anderson's level. Ironically, he's probably gonna have a better career than 2 of them.

Kemba was real nice in hs but he wasn't on Marbury, Telfair and Anderson's level. Ironically, he's probably gonna have a better career than 2 of them.

It also needs to be asked, are we counting Long Island, Mt. Vernon, Westchester, hell the rest of the NY State area since schools travel so much.

I can't speak for what it's like in other states but all the top LI and NYC metropolitan schools compete against each other regularly.

It also needs to be asked, are we counting Long Island, Mt. Vernon, Westchester, hell the rest of the NY State area since schools travel so much.

I can't speak for what it's like in other states but all the top LI and NYC metropolitan schools compete against each other regularly.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Didn't he back up Sosa from Louisville and Fisher from 'Nova during his time in HS?

That is going to have a significant impact on you perform and how you do down in history, no?

I hope you're right about his NBA career though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Didn't he back up Sosa from Louisville and Fisher from 'Nova during his time in HS?

That is going to have a significant impact on you perform and how you do down in history, no?

I hope you're right about his NBA career though.

I remember Kemba getting buzz on a national level when he was in high school, and seeing him in the All-American Game on TV.  But if he was backing dudes up, that certainly has to affect his legacy in one way or another...

Back
Top Bottom