Was Roy Williams in the right or in the wrong for wearing the Jayhawk sticker last night?

As part of the NT KU contingent, I'll say this. When they showed Roy on the screen with the sticker on his shirt, that went a long LONG way to ending theanimosity toward him from the KU fanbase....then winning the title on top of that, I'd say he's been totally forgiven.

But I still haven't forgiven Dean Smith yet
wink.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

How often are coaches chilling in the crowd like that anyways?
They all can attend the Final 4 if they want to, and most do.

I meant along the lines of sitting near the court and not in a suite or suite level.

I'm a UNC fan and I have a huge problem with the sticker. I don't care that he was there but the sticker put it over the top.

why can't the man be a fan of another team for just one night,
especially a team where i spent 15 years coaching
when they interviewed him at halftime everyone at the bar applauded and i gotta agree with gottagitdemjs as a fellow jayhawker myself that i really don'thold a grudge against him anymore.

Wow UNC fans and their players are selfish..................Roy Williams wouldn't be where he is now if it weren't for his years at KU. KU didn'tfire him he left on his own terms........and KU fans were aholes to him for 5 years because of how he left.

15 years......... he spent 15 years at KU where he became a legend in my opinion.

Unfortunately for him and UNC they lost to that same team........so why the crap is it wrong for the man to show support for an important part of his life?Jeez...as a KU fan I'm upset he couldn't have worn an actual KU shirt(you know he still probably has some) instead of some big crooked sticker?

This is pointless.....UNC LOST SATURDAY.....its the damn eastcoast bias still needing to report on all things UNC............How about that game on Mondaynight between the two teams that beat the crap outta those other two "powerhouses".?

I was speechless when I saw him last night.

Not only did he have that sticker...he had a blazer with the Jayhawk logo stiched on it hours before the game...talking about...."Ive been saying it allyear....Kansas is the best team in the nation!"

WTH?!....Total disrespect, total unprofessionalism.

A college coach is the backbone of the team, the keeper of morale, the most recognizable embodiment of school pride....how are you going to be a vocal andvisible supporter of a bitter rival that just embarassed your squad less than 48 hours ago?...Makes no sense. It doesn't matter how long he was with Kansasor what kind of ties he still had with the team. He could have showed his support in a much more subdued and professioinal manner.

He may have just cost his University multiple elite students, athletes and donors...no one wants to see the coach of UNCs crown jewel rooting for Kansas....IfI was a graduating senior/top athlete with a decision between the two schools...I would be leaning towards Kansas. How do you think his players feel watchingthat and hearing the statements he made?...Thats undefendable. Who would want to come back to play for a coach who got thoroughly outcoached and whos loyaltylies elsewhere. He was at Kansas for 15 years...so does he have to coach UNS for 16, in order for them to gain his loyalty?

Imagine if the Heat elimated the Magic from the NBA EC finals...and Stan Van Gundy goes to Heat's home game in the finals...rocking a Dwade Jersay andcheering at the top of his lungs for a Miami victory...how would that look?

as long as the future unc recuits dont de-commit, roy can do whatever he wants...here's the list of future unc commits:

-ed davis, tyler zeller, larry drew

-dexter strickland! john henson, wear twins

-kendall marshall

the future of unc has been solidified =]

I won't go into it too much but it's seriously not that big of a deal. He worked there....for 15 years. 15. That's a very long time and to act likehe can't root for them would be stupid on his part. Because then he'd be fake. Not worth it...maybe the players would have a problem being that theylost but other than that there should be no one having a problem with it. It's one game and he surely doesn't have KU at the top of hisfavorites...otherwise he'd still be there. And yes this is equally stupid to the Bron(x) hat thing.

I see some Ed Davis talk in a few posts..

ehh, he's the right fit for UNC's system to get out and run, cause he has little skills.

I gave coach Williams a big stoneface when I saw him with that Kansas sticker, especially because UNC, who happens to be my favorite college basketball team,had just been ousted two days before by that same Kansas team.

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Not that big of a deal. Lebron and Yanks all over.

Not even remotely close...
I know because Lebron is supposed to be the face of the city, and Roy is just the coach at UNC
tired.gif

No, because Lebron never #*!%%%+ played or coached for the Yankees. Lebron has no ties to the Yanks. There is a big difference between being a fan andactually once being apart of an organization.

indifferent.gif

i think the whole thing was in positive nature, it's not like he was trying to spite anyone.

like it was stated stickers were most likely being handed out and he just slapped it on.

i can see how some of the carolina faithful might have taken offense to it tho, if carolina handn't just be obliterated by kansas two nights earlier then iwouldnt have seen a issue with it at all but that loss made it a questionable move.

he just should have given it some thought.

i dont think it's a huge issue tho.

who cares I graduated from Penn State but I still wish the community college I came from the best and would support them with donations just as I would PennState

I think if UNC loses any commits over this, then in COLLEGE BASKETBALL, that's not the kids you want anyway.

In college BB, you need mature kids, who can handle the pressure and spotlight of playing in the big game ala the NC. Memphis proved two nights ago theydidn't have that, (CDR choking on free throws, passive Rose in the 1st half, Dorsey complaining the whole game/stupid fouls), whereas the Kansas playersshowed poise and composure under pressure. That's what wins the close, big game. Maturity + Talent... not Talent alone.

If a kid can't comprehend that their future coach was just cheering on his former team, and it angers them sooooooo much that they have to de-commit, letthem go.

As a HUGE Carolina fan, if we as fans should be upset with anyone, it should be Lawson. As far as rumor and speculation, he's the only one reallyconsidering hiring an agent and leaving, despite the fact that he won't go any higher than 20, and can drop as far as 2nd round. Ellington may test thewaters, no agent, and most believe TH will come back in order to go out in a less stacked draft next year. Not to mention I thought Lawson played very passiveas well on Saturday night.

Like it's being documented well-before, Roy Williams is a soft-hearted guy. He reads the papers, he watched SportsCenter. The negative things being saidabout him bother him. By wearing that sticker the other night, combined with KU winning it all, I doubt he'll EVER face the animosity he did Saturdaynight.

Roy Williams didn't hurt anyone by wearing that sticker. I think people need to take it for what it was. For one night, he was a fan like everyone else.And it was the only night of the 2007-2008 basketball season where his team was no longer involved.

Back
Top Bottom