Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just fear that we are set up to be incredibly mediocre for years to come. And like meth said the goal is to win a championship not get swept every year by the Heat.

But that can all change with acquiring depth regardless of what happens this year. I am hoping for the best

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/10/25/5029568/marcin-gortat-trade-analysis-wizards-suns
 Most notably, this is another band-aid move that costs the Wizards a future asset. The big concern I have is that this ends up like the Bucks' trade for J.J. Redick, which cost them a nice asset in Tobias Harris that is now one of Orlando's top players. The Bucks were desperate to make the playoffs and decided to trade a future piece in order to acquire a future free agent in order to get that low seed. Redick ended up fitting in poorly, the Bucks were swept by the Heat in the first round of the playoffs and Redick fled elsewhere as a free agent. The Bucks got nothing to show for a good asset in Harris. An asset, it should be noted, that they internally devalued, much like the Wizards are doing with next year's draft pick.

Draft class is overrated, if anything its top 12 protected, so if its 13-15 can the suns really grab a superstar?

I think not even tho they can prob get a good player, my only gripe is that we didnt make the trade sooner, besides practice Gortat hasnt really had a chance to mesh with the guys

Draft class is overrated, if anything its top 12 protected, so if its 13-15 can the suns really grab a superstar?

I think not even tho they can prob get a good player, my only gripe is that we didnt make the trade sooner, besides practice Gortat hasnt really had a chance to mesh with the guys

Agree with this

My prediction is that we don't' make the playoffs probably because Beal or Nene will get hurt or something and we end up with the 9th or so pick in the draft.

So if that is the case then we basically traded Okefor for Gortat...which im cool with given okefor's health condition for the season, no one seems to know if he will even be able to play.

Not in the least bit.

Everyone SHOULD be hoping this team makes at least the 8th seed or be really bad. Straddle too close to that 13th place mark and that's going to suck.

Can you net a "superstar" in the late lottery? No. But there are DEFINITELY starter caliber guys who will be available then.

Ending up with the 13th pick, and watching the Suns grab an impact player we could have had is a very real possibility. 

Last edited:

Not in the least bit.

Everyone SHOULD be hoping this team makes at least the 8th seed or be really bad. Straddle too close to that 13th place mark and that's going to suck.

Can you net a "superstar" in the late lottery? No. But there are DEFINITELY starter caliber guys who will be available then.

Ending up with the 13th pick, and watching the Suns grab an impact player we could have had is a very real possibility. 
You're right if we are i dont know 38-44 9-10th seed we lose a pick and maybe Gortat....

So you keep Okafor who no one knows when he will play? They have to attempt to win because frankly they've shown growth and proven they SHOULD be making the playoffs. Why is everyone looking at maybe missing an impact player in the draft yet totally ignoring the impact Gortat brings? He's proven himself, the crap shoot at this point is health as opposed to drafting someone who may not even work out. Rather make the playoffs and grow with the core they have drafted than maybe pick someone who might work out and continue to miss.

Okafor has a herniated disk in his neck dude isnt playing anytime soon and Gortat is good but i wonder what was the Suns impetus for making this trade,

Was it that they were clear they wanted to give the spot to Len, obvious tank attempt in my eyes

My prediction is that we don't' make the playoffs probably because Beal or Nene will get hurt or something and we end up with the 9th or so pick in the draft.

So if that is the case then we basically traded Okefor for Gortat...which im cool with given okefor's health condition for the season, no one seems to know if he will even be able to play.
The problem is, if we keep the pick this season Phoenix will still get the rights to our #1 in either 2015 or 2016.  The pick is top 12 protected this year, top 10 protected next year, and then completely unprotected the year after that.  

Unless this team is either very bad this year and very, very good next year, odds are this one comes back to bite us.  
With our draft history, it's easy to say, "oh, we'd waste that anyway."  Even so, the pick could have trade value.  It's not the end of the world, but, if the goal is to win an NBA championship and not just get stuck in mediocrity like the Hawks or the Bucks, we need to guard our assets a little better and resist making these panic moves.  You have a ton of cap space to work with.  Yes, proving that you're a winner might help, but there's no guarantee that Gortat even gets this team into the playoffs. 

Gortat would've been available to us in the offseason regardless.  Giving up a potential contributor or even a potentially valuable trade asset for the CHANCE to play four more games this season is rough.

I think I'll start a 2013-2014 season thread later tonight or sometime tomorrow.  It'll be easier for us to navigate that way.  

At least the pick is top 12 protected, honestly with this organization if the pick isnt the number 1 pick im worried we will waste it on a bum

im def trying to get to more games this season, anyone interested im always down.

I Think we're going to be in that 7-9th place in the east, so we really can't let certain games slip away. Hopefully Wall has worked on his jumpshot and decision making more.

So you keep Okafor who no one knows when he will play? They have to attempt to win because frankly they've shown growth and proven they SHOULD be making the playoffs. Why is everyone looking at maybe missing an impact player in the draft yet totally ignoring the impact Gortat brings? He's proven himself, the crap shoot at this point is health as opposed to drafting someone who may not even work out. Rather make the playoffs and grow with the core they have drafted than maybe pick someone who might work out and continue to miss.
I agree with you, we need to make the playoffs at all costs this year for the sake of Wall and Beal's development.

What sucks is that Gortat could help us make the playoffs, and still decide to leave in free agency. Thus leaving us right where we were, but with no draft prospect to develop. OR he could help us make the playoffs and Grunfeld will most likely give him a massive 4 year contract, messing up our cap flexibility for years to come (this is what I expect to happen). Gortat will make us a solid 5-6 seed every year but never any higher than that. In either scenario, after several years of mediocrity Wall bounces to another team when his contract ends (or forces a trade ala Melo, Deron Williams).

As long as Grunfeld remains the GM, imo there is basically a 90% chance of one of these scenarios happening.

If Grunfeld is fired at the end of the year though, we may get a new GM who is smart enough to sign Gortat to a short contract keeping our cap space open. When 2016 comes around, Nene and Gortat come off the books and we have the chance to lure Kevin Durant or Kevin Love and become annual contenders. I give this a 5% chance of happening, we all know Ted will extend Ernie no matter what happens.

Last edited:
 In either scenario, after several years of mediocrity Wall bounces to another team when his contract ends (or forces a trade ala Melo, Deron Williams).
New CBA makes this a little harder to do.

Unless he wants to leave a ridiculous amount of money on the table. Only person we've seen do that in the post-lockout era is Fright Howard.

Dwight left money on the table because he wanted to go to a positive environment where he'd have a chance to play winning, championship basketball. Wall could leave for those very same reasons.

That possibility is always going to be there.

Thanks for a great season, everyone.  If and when we ever develop a bandwagon, let the record show that this year's participants are all true, die-hard, long-suffering Wizards fans.

I know I've really enjoyed talking Wizards with you all and I look forward to carrying our "winning" tradition forward in the 2013-2014 season thread.  

To be continued... 
[thread="573457"]Washington Wizards 2013 2014 Season Thread 1st Game Wed 7 30 Vs Pistons  [/thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom