**WASHINGTON WIZARDS 2012 Off-Season Thread ** Welcome to DC, Bradley Beal!!

I'm excited because they are a young team, but as long as Blatche is on the roster and starting, this team is going to fail and fail miserably.  That clown is a disease both on the court and in the locker room.

Do they continue to bring Nick off the bench in favor of starting Michael Jordan Crawford?

I think that is the best way to go about things.  I can see Crawford being more of an aid or support system to Wall over Nick Young.

If Young is not retained, then we'll see the type of player Crawford is after this offseason.  We all know he can fill the stat-sheet, but he's VERY flawed. 

Please explain.

If you're going to throw McGee under the bus for what happened in Chicago w. the triple-double, then blame Flip as well. HE was the one drawing up plays for the man in the final minutes of the game. Please stop making it seem like McGee was the only one who wanted that triple-double.

Also, as far as Javale....he had his usual defensive lapses last year, but he did have flashes of brilliance. We keep waiting for him to have the light go on in his head. Maybe this is the year (we say that a lot w. him), and he DID make progress last...so who knows? He has the potential to be Tyson Chandler-like on the defensive end...but it's a matter of becoming smarter with rotations, help, etc. I'd like to see him make a big improvement w. his rebounding. He has the skill-set to average a double-double while getting around 3+ BPG. He can be dynamic on defense, but it's just a matter of him figuring things out. He's not cut from the same cloth as Blatche. He's not lazy or a problem on the court or in the lockerroom.

I'm pulling for the guy because the last thing you want to happen is for him to really flourish on another team because we gave up on him too soon. He's ONLY 23. Do you remember how clueless Chandler was at the same age? It's rare that someone can come in the NBA and be a force defensively at such a young age. It takes time.

Please explain.

It's mostly his shot-selection.  16 shots to get 16 points, etc....I mean, he was only a rookie and he'll get better.  However this is an area that he HAS to improve in. 

I like Jordan better than Nick simply because he could slide over to the 1 to spell Wall. I mean Shelvin Mack is there and is Mustapha comes back he will be available. Crawford's ball handling is easily better. But they both are trigger happy.

Cant wait for the season to start.....John Wall and Vesly are sure to have a great year....THe way Vesly plays its just downright dominating dude has That Dirk and Danilo Gallinari European swag and shot.....the dunks and power and intensity he has is
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
 As far as who should start Nick Young or Jordan Crawford....I feel like both of them have what it takes to start at the 2 but if i had to choose at this point I would go with Nick Young he can put up 45 points easily...... he has the 3..... which Crawford doesn't have Just yet but Crawford is better at drawing the foul and going strong into the paint....I feel like its apples and oranges they both bring good weapons that will be helpful for the team. Basically I just think it will come to who wants it more im pretty sure flip is going to be starting them both in and out until someone becomes more consistent then we will find out who starts....Trevor Booker showed alot of promise last year I would like to see him get more mins.....If we dont get any major injuries i expect us to win 35-45 games this year...and I agree with Meth when its all young players in a team its more of a competition....all these young players are coming out of college being the best players on there team's and when they get to the league sometimes becoming a role player and not the star is not what they want...if you bring in vertern players.....role player...who know there position...it can be something amazing for this young team...Young players need that wise advice...its what will help them grow and be the best players they can be. 
Wizards lets goo
pimp.gif

I like Jordan better than Nick simply because he could slide over to the 1 to spell Wall.
Under no circumstances do I want Nick Young OR Jordan Crawford bringing the ball up the floor.  I'd much rather bring in Earl Watson.  He's unrestricted and is just the type of steady, reliable player you need to run the offense in Wall's stead.  Failing that, I'd also consider bringing back Roger Mason, Jr.  He's a serviceable backup point, but he's also a viable utility player given his range.  Take one of those two and let Mack, who's fairly versatile, fill in the gaps. 
Also, as far as Javale....he had his usual defensive lapses last year, but he did have flashes of brilliance. We keep waiting for him to have the light go on in his head. 

We have to be honest with ourselves here.  On a good team, JaVale McGee will never be anything more than a defensive spark off the bench.  He's not able to bang with the league's true centers and he isn't disciplined enough to guard elite 4s.  He's also had a very difficult time maintaining a consistent energy level through extended minutes, which, early in his career, we attributed to a respiratory condition.  Where does that leave him?  On the second unit.  Overpaying McGee next year would be an enormous mistake and - let's be honest - I don't think anyone here sincerely expects him to turn into an All Star this season.  Meanwhile, we're content to let legit 4s and 5s slip through our fingers because management has this crazy notion that McGee will one day emerge from his chrysalis and become a 7 foot tall Bill Russell.  It ain't happening.
At a certain point, you have to accept that fact that players pretty much are what they are.  

How often have you heard someone say, "wow, if only Dwight Howard could learn to shoot like Patrick Ewing he'd be the greatest center ever," "man, if LeBron James could develop a real back to the basket game he'd be unstoppable," or "if only Carmelo Anthony could become a better defender, he could be the MVP of the league?"  If it hasn't happened yet, it's not gonna happen.  Steve Nash could never guard anyone.  Shaq never learned to shoot free throws.  Ben Wallace practiced shooting every day, but still couldn't find the rim with a metal detector.  If all these perennial All NBA players couldn't address their glaring weaknesses, why on earth do you think the likes of Nick Young and JaVale McGee will?  

Really, how often has ANY player who's ALREADY getting starting minutes dramatically improved his game?  It's very rare.  

This is the same self-delusion that leads people to think they can reform cheating partners or domesticate tigers.  The Spurs thought that if they could just teach Richard Jefferson to knock down Bruce Bowen's corner 3 they'd be unstoppable.  I bet they wish they had that one back.  

Evaluate these guys on the basis of what they ARE - not what you hope they'll somehow become.  

A max salary will buy you the best player at his position or it can buy you a good player who you hope will one day become the best at his position.  Teams that guess wrong on the latter are doomed to failure.

It's time for the Wizards to stop building around "what ifs" and start dealing with "what is."  

It's mostly his shot-selection.  16 shots to get 16 points, etc....I mean, he was only a rookie and he'll get better.  However this is an area that he HAS to improve in. 

That's a fair point, no complaints from me champ.

Wizards won't use the amnesty on Lewis....gonna ride out the rest of his contract it seems.

They reached out to Josh Howard and also Mo Evans

Bulls are interested in Nick Young

I have a feeling that the Wizards are gonna do what the 49ers are doing in the NFL this season.

It seems the Wizards are dead set on rebuilding the slow, unreliable way, so it appears the Lewis vs. Blatche debate has been rendered moot - this season, at least.  
I suppose the lockout itself should've tipped us off to the fact that most owners are cheap and petty.  They loathe the prospect of paying someone to play for another team, almost as much as they loathe to admit to a terrible business decision.  

Only one owner appears cutthroat enough to actually pull the trigger - and on the current face of his franchise, no less.  (Surprise: it's the Microsoft mogul.)

Even though the Wizards remain oddly determined to bring back the wildly inconsistent and undisciplined Nick Yong and finally reward Josh Howard for his amazing productivity, I still think they should make a major run at Brandon Roy should he become available - not to keep, but to exchange.  

I'm not sure how much detail exists publicly with regard to the new amnesty provision, so I'll just throw this out there:

Amnesty sign & trade.  

What's stopping the Wizards from outbidding the competition for Roy, then trading him to a contender like, say, the Chicago Bulls?  It would be difficult to pry Gibson loose, particularly given that he outplayed Carlos Boozer at times, but it's clear the Bulls have a logjam there and cannot possibly accommodate Gibson when he goes up on the market in a couple of years.  Chicago would likely prefer to keep him and stock as many young assets as possible for potential use in a Dwight Howard sign & trade next summer, but they'd be hard pressed to pass up the chance to get Roy now, on the merits of his miracle playoff performance alone, to add some much needed scoring punch and sheer willpower to a team that clearly lacked both against Miami in the ECF.  Even if the Wizards have to settle for Asik in exchange for Roy, you'd still have to consider that a minor coup.  

Grunfeld gets his wish, as the Wizards will still be playing for ping pong balls, but at least this way you'd walk out of the offseason with something other than paying even MORE money to reassemble the same unit that posted an abysmal 23-59 record.

I'm not sure how an amnesty S&T would work, but in reading up on what would happen if they did use the amnesty (alone), I'm all for keeping Shard on the roster until his contract expires. If the Amnesty is used, the Wizards would HAVE to spend the money on random players JUST to reach the salary cap floor. Just gotta be patient.

Also...check this out:

newwizardscourt1211a.jpg

I hope the image comes up, but it's the new playing floor at the VC...I like it. New colorway is
pimp.gif
Next up, CHANGE THE DAMN NAME!!!!

If the pic isn't working, you can see them here in the link:

http://www.washingtonpost...html?wprss=dc-sports-bog

wizards fan checking in from Los Angeles
pimp.gif

looking forward to see the wizkids play the clippers on feb 4

im also looking forward on the development of john wall..he needs to up his ast: TO ratio

Originally Posted by mustbetheshoe58

wizards fan checking in from Los Angeles
pimp.gif

looking forward to see the wizkids play the clippers on feb 4

that's the game I'm trying to see in person too

Saw this article on Grantland regarding potential Aaron Afflalo suitors, I'm all for it

[h3]3. Washington[/h3]
Status: $13.3 million under the cap ($34.4 million if the Wizards amnesty Rashard Lewis)
Current 2-guards: Nick Young (restricted free agent), Jordan Crawford, Joe House

Notes: Team up John Wall and Afflalo and you'd really have the makings of something. If I'm running the Wizards, it's a no-brainer: I'm doing the following three things …

A. Not using my amnesty on Lewis yet. He's still a serviceable shooter — why pay him the exact same money NOT to be on my team?

B. Offer Afflalo $50 million: $14 million in Year 1, $13 million in Year 2, $12 million in Year 3 and $11 million in Year 4. Anything lower and Denver is probably matching.

C. Get the Celtics to sign-and-trade me Jeff Green for Andray Blatche — a deal that, by the way, makes sense for Boston because Green struggled so mightily coming off the bench, and also because Blatche (a total head case, but possibly redeemable with the right veterans and the right coach) gives them young legs and some much-needed size.[sup]3[/sup] Wait until the NBA schedule comes out today — if you think this creaky Celtics squad is making it through a "seven games in nine days" stretch (and you'll see at least one on their schedule), I have some Brad Lohaus rookie cards to sell you.

Here's Washington's nucleus with those two moves (and one non-move): Wall, Afflalo, JaVale McGee, Jan Vesely, Green, Crawford and Lewis (as their vessel to a whopping amount of cap space). That's the foundation of something, right? (Waiting.) Hello? Are you there? ANSWER ME!

I was mainly talking Afflalo, don't really care for Jeff Green either. I think he and Rashard are too similar, no point in having both

I'm not sure how an amnesty S&T would work, but in reading up on what would happen if they did use the amnesty (alone), I'm all for keeping Shard on the roster until his contract expires. If the Amnesty is used, the Wizards would HAVE to spend the money on random players JUST to reach the salary cap floor. Just gotta be patient. 
Not true.  From what I've read, the final deal allows contracts excised by the amnesty provision to count against the salary FLOOR, not the salary CAP. 
In other words, Washington would NOT have to "sign random players" to meet minimum payroll beyond what would otherwise be required if they kept Lewis, but they would gain the full cap flexibility associated with removing his contract from the books.  

Even if this were not the case, I'd still be in favor of doing so and making a run at key players to be paid using front-loaded deals.  That way, you get far greater short-term value out of superior players, and AFTER the two years remaining on Lewis' deal those contract values would fall back down to earth, meaning we'd have superior talent at bargain prices.  It's the move they should've made - but apparently they don't want to pay Lewis not to play or spend more in ACTUAL salary than is allotted under the cap, if you include Lewis' settlement.  

A good, large market franchise would make the move.  Hell, OKC would make the move.  The Spurs appear as though they ARE doing this as we speak - using the amnesty clause on Richard Jefferson and actively pursuing free agents (though their cap flexibility is obviously still impinged by their big contracts.) 

The Wizards showed us that, fundamentally, they will not be any more aggressive than they were under the Pollin regime.  So much for "competitive balance."  

Originally Posted by Method Man

Not true.  From what I've read, the final deal allows contracts excised by the amnesty provision to count against the salary FLOOR, not the salary CAP. 
In other words, Washington would NOT have to "sign random players" to meet minimum payroll beyond what would otherwise be required if they kept Lewis, but they would gain the full cap flexibility associated with removing his contract from the books.  

Even if this were not the case, I'd still be in favor of doing so and making a run at key players to be paid using front-loaded deals.  That way, you get far greater short-term value out of superior players, and AFTER the two years remaining on Lewis' deal those contract values would fall back down to earth, meaning we'd have superior talent at bargain prices.  It's the move they should've made - but apparently they don't want to pay Lewis not to play or spend more in ACTUAL salary than is allotted under the cap, if you include Lewis' settlement.  

A good, large market franchise would make the move.  Hell, OKC would make the move.  The Spurs appear as though they ARE doing this as we speak - using the amnesty clause on Richard Jefferson and actively pursuing free agents (though their cap flexibility is obviously still impinged by their big contracts.) 

The Wizards showed us that, fundamentally, they will not be any more aggressive than they were under the Pollin regime.  So much for "competitive balance."  

Got my wording confused (cap/floor)...and you were right

The salary of any player waived via the amnesty clause will continue to count toward the salary floor.

from BF

That's a fairly significant thing, because as I wrote a while back, one of the major reasons, if not the major reason, that using the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis made little sense was because it would put the Wizards far below the salary floor and force them to use that money elsewhere on a weak free agent class. But if Lewis' salary counts against the floor, suddenly, the Wizards will only have to spend about $8 million on free agents to reach the floor, and that's not including Nick Young. That's much more manageable.

In his press conference last week, Ernie Grunfeld said that "in all likelihood," the Wizards would not use the amnesty clause this year. It remains to be seen whether he said that knowing the salary floor rules or not. If he didn't know, then I could see the Wizards potentially changing their minds. Potentially, of course. The Wizards could also decide that Lewis' professionalism or whatever makes him worth keeping around.

We'll see how it plays out, but this certainly eliminates one potential reason not to amnesty Lewis.

Link

The Wizards are close to agreeing to a contract with free agent guard Roger Mason Jr. that would bring the D.C. native back for his second NBA stint in his hometown, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Link

The Wizards' blind pursuit of ping pong balls continues, and now that most free agents worth having are off the board, Brandon Roy has retired, and we're still making trades for cash, which places us in the eyeless/bio-luminescent category of deep sea bottom-feeders, let's throw out one more exceedingly reasonable proposal that the team will no doubt ignore: Call Billups' bluff, grab him off waivers, and ship him to the highest bidder. 
Most of the teams in the running for Billups have nothing we want player-wise, but if you're going to absorb salary in exchange for picks you might as well get FIRST rounders. The Heat, Lakers, and Magic are all pining for Billups' services. Why not get a late first round pick out of it? 

If you're not going to SPEND your cap space to actually improve this year, why not AT LEAST leverage said cap space and take advantage of the amnesty clause? 

It's baffling to me that teams have allowed players like Arenas to have their wish and gain free agent freedom just because they'll sulk about being plucked off the waiver wire by a rebuilding team. This system was put in place to avoid a situation where good teams can wave the amnesty wand, erase salary mistakes, and then suddenly sign similarly-high priced players at a mere fraction of the cap space. In other words, it was supposed to avoid the standard American "the rich get richer - and still don't pay any taxes" scenario. 

It's not in any rebuiding team's interests to let Billups, a tradeable asset, just pout his way to freedom.

If you're not going to SPEND your cap space to actually improve this year, why not AT LEAST leverage said cap space and take advantage of the amnesty clause? 

It's not in any rebuiding team's interests to let Billups, a tradeable asset, just pout his way to freedom.
I think we all know by now that NBA execs are incapable of thinking outside the box, and in the case of Ernie Grunfeld, just thinking. 

No sense in spending just because you have it. None of the FA's who realistically would have gone to DC, would put the Wizards over the top. What's the point in building another 5/6 seed at best team? I think the Wizards are in the position to build their team like OKC. Young talent + role playing vets. They have their Kevin Durant IMO (w/ Wall)...the '12 draft could legitimately land them their Westbrook with the talent pool.

So I wouldn't say they're letting cap space go to "waste". More like preserving it for when it'll really matter.

The Wizards' blind pursuit of ping pong balls continues, and now that most free agents worth having are off the board, Brandon Roy has retired, and we're still making trades for cash, which places us in the eyeless/bio-luminescent category of deep sea bottom-feeders, let's throw out one more exceedingly reasonable proposal that the team will no doubt ignore: Call Billups' bluff, grab him off waivers, and ship him to the highest bidder. 
Most of the teams in the running for Billups have nothing we want player-wise, but if you're going to absorb salary in exchange for picks you might as well get FIRST rounders. The Heat, Lakers, and Magic are all pining for Billups' services. Why not get a late first round pick out of it? 

It's baffling to me that teams have allowed players like Arenas to have their wish and gain free agent freedom just because they'll sulk about being plucked off the waiver wire by a rebuilding team. This system was put in place to avoid a situation where good teams can wave the amnesty wand, erase salary mistakes, and then suddenly sign similarly-high priced players at a mere fraction of the cap space. In other words, it was supposed to avoid the standard American "the rich get richer - and still don't pay any taxes" scenario. 

You can't trade players claimed off the amnesty waiver wire until July 1.

With Billups, he would be a free agent by then. And which team is really going to commit 3 years to Arenas at this point?

Back
Top Bottom