**Washington Wizards Offseason Thread** Blatche re-upped....5 years/35 mil

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

On twitter, adrian wojo (sp?) was saying that the wizards are going to work harder than ever to move arenas...still a lot of tension between the two sides.

*Looks over at autographed GilZeros*
smh.gif
smh.gif

I definitely want the Wiz to get rid of him, but I just can't believe how big of a screwup he is and how much talent he wasted.
I got an autographed jersey and gilzero (1 shoe)..I hope you didn't get those in the same contest I did
roll.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Yup
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And lmao @ the 3-5 point improvement on defense without Antawn.

laugh.gif
I remember the gil-zero contest happening...what were the rules for it?  I know he mailed out a bunch of shoes/jerseys, right?

This is a good read....

what John Wall/#1 overall pick means to the Wizards and their fans:

Click the link for the rest of the article:

To understand exactly how much this means to the Washington Wizards, there are really three different factors that need to be explained, but we may as well start with the franchise itself. Skip this if you're familiar with what's happened, but the full narrative's not complete without some back story.
And for years, it's been the same story. The nickname "Clippers East" is a good indication of where the Wizards have been for the past few decades, but even that doesn't capture it completely.

The Clippers are bad because they've got terrible ownership and it trickles down to the court. The Wizards? We had one of the most respected owners in the NBA, and we still lost. In some cases, we lost because Abe Pollin was so great.

As I wrote at the time of his passing, Abe was a victim of his own virtue. If he trusted someone, he believed in them through thick and thin—and that meant sticking with Wes Unseld as a general manager for years after he proved incompetent. It meant keeping guys around who may not have been the best option for the team. And more recently, it meant giving Gilbert Arenas about $15 million more than anyone else was offering. Why? Because Gilbert was loyal, and he gave Abe’s franchise a heartbeat right after the greatest player in NBA history had driven a stake through its chest.

If that reads like an indictment, it's not. Wizards fans wouldn't have wanted anyone else running the team but Abe. And as a Wizards fan, I couldn't have been prouder to have Irene Pollin as the one to represent the team last night. But even so, the Pollin loyalty hurt us to some degree. Most years, the Wizards were just irrelevant.

But to the few who paid attention? Well, let's see. A incomplete list of Washington's more crushing disappointments, in no particular order...
  • Acquired Bernard King about three years too late.
  • Traded for star point guard Mark Price, only to have injuries ruin his one.
  • Missed drafting Reggie Miller by one spot. Drafted Muggsy Bogues instead.
  • Traded Rasheed Wallace and Chris Webber too early.
  • Signed Juwan Howard to a franchise-crippling $105 million contract, and he immediately faded to mediocrity, while Webber and Wallace shined for Sacramento and Portland, respectively. 
  • Unearthed Ben Wallace from the basketball netherworld ... and then traded him for Ike Austin, and watched him anchor Detroit's defense for the better part of a decade.
And that's before the failure began to really get biblical. That began to take shape when Michael Jordan arrived to save us from ourselves. In theory, at least, he lent a sense of nobility to a franchise that had been a running joke for my entire life. Problem is, Jordan's nobility became its own kind of curse. His petulant, gargantuan ego engulfed the whole franchise. So when, the media was teeming with loving Jordan tributes back in September for his Hall of Fame induction, I had to recount his tenure on the Wizards. Read the whole thing if you want to watch me call the Greatest Player of All Time a jerk, but his last NBA game really epitmoized the whole experience:
The Wizards showed a 5 minute highlight reel that was 90 percent Michael Jordan on the Bulls. No lurching post-up game, dominating the ball for 10 seconds, before he'd invariably settle for an 18-foot fall away on the baseline; this was the Michael Jordan. The stadium lights were dim, and when they came back on, I was crying a little bit. It was that special.

And then Wizards owner Abe Pollin and Michael Jordan met at center court, where Pollin presented a large charitable donation on Michael's behalf. Pollin took the microphone and spoke to the crowd, thanking Michael for all his contributions to the team, and his hard work in building the franchise. Then, we figured, Michael would take the microphone and thank us, too, for supporting him with sold out games and undying affection. Instead, he waved to the crowd, bowed his head, and left the court without saying a word.

And that's what Michael Jordan will always mean to me: a player that was so good he could literally make you cry, but up close and in the flesh, a pretty cold-hearted guy.

Michael Jordan may have been the greatest player of all time, but as a Wizards fan, I'll take Gilbert Arenas any day.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/19/1478262/this-is-what-it-feels-like-to-win-the-lottery

Originally Posted by Im Not You

From all reports I've read/heard thus far...there will be no funny business with this #1 pick. Wall will be the guy. They'll work out Turner just for evaluation purposes but it's 99.9% certain that Wall will be a Wizard. Now I'm focusing on who to target with that 30th and 34th pick. The opportunity is there to swing for the fences. There are a few low risk, high reward guys that should be available there. I'd LOVE to see a potential Wall/Stephenson backcourt one day if Stephenson can keep his head on straight.

With one of those two picks, it should be a defensive-minded shot blocker....I saw Javaris Varnado and Larry Sanders being mentioned by some folks on Twitter last night.....

What I'm curious to see is what exactly the Wizards are going to do to try to acquire more picks.  That's what EG/Leonsis said was the plan.  I wonder if McGee/Young are now expendible...If Young goes, Stephenson would be a much better replacement for the long-term. 

Washington Wizards coach Flip Saunders joined the show to talk about winning the draft lottery and what they plan to do with the top pick.

Saunders was very clear on one point: "The phone lines are closed. We're not going to trade the pick."

Saunders talked about John Wall and Evan Turner at that spot. "In John, you have probably the most dynamic player in the draft. ...  Evan Turner is probably the most versatile player in the draft," Saunders said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/111521/index.html?eref=sihp

Wall can't wear #11 cause it's retired....

Well damn. I'll keep my sig until we figure out what # he'll choose. And if moving Young meant netting some more picks...I'm all for it. I wanna keep McGee though.

Props for getting that #1 Wiz fans. 

Sort of scares me with the "work out Turner for evaluation purposes"  The Blazers did that with Durant. 

How far ahead is Wall over Turner?   We're all positive that Wall doesn't have any flaws and will be the better pro then Turner? 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Props for getting that #1 Wiz fans. 

Sort of scares me with the "work out Turner for evaluation purposes"  The Blazers did that with Durant. 

How far ahead is Wall over Turner?   We're all positive that Wall doesn't have any flaws and will be the better pro then Turner? 
not my words....from a Wizards blogger:

All I'll say is this: now is not the time to nitpick and overthink.  In my mind, the choice here really is simple.  Evan Turner is a very nice player, but in today's NBA, point guards are much more valuable than wings.  This is something for a longer post, but I really do believe Turner and Wall's college numbers are deceiving.  Turner was placed on a team where his teammates weren't good and asked to handle the ball and do everything.  There were no other ball-handlers, no other rebounders, no other slashers, etc.  It was Turner and a bunch of shooters.  Not to say that Turner's stats are meaningless, but it's not all that surprising to me that he put up amazing numbers.  Wall, on the other hand, played with so many great teammates that he was able to take a backseat.  His numbers all suffered, but that doesn't mean he disappointed.  In fact, it speaks volumes, to me, about his ability to defer for the good of the team.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/

For who???

and yes trading Gil is virtually impossible... That baggage with that contract = STUCK.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

For who???

and yes trading Gil is virtually impossible... That baggage with that contract = STUCK.

Elvin Hayes....

*Does anyone know how many years Spree had on his deal when he was traded from GS to the Knicks?

An Evan Turner is more likely to come around more often than a John Wall. This is a no brainer pick here.

You're putting words in my mouth...because if I was going to comment on Stern giving the Cavs Lebron, then I should at least know who the other teams were that struggled during Lebron's draft year, right?

Have you or have you not in the past here on the boards insinuated that Stern tampered with the 2003 lottery draft selection by having the Cleveland Cavaliers get the #1 pick, yes or no??

Originally Posted by Al3xis

We're all positive that Wall doesn't have any flaws and will be the better pro then Turner?
he dances a lot..

laugh.gif

I believe Spree had one year left.  Think he had three years left when they tried to void his contract in 97.  Traded to NY in 99.

I missed it earlier...as for the whole Durant/Portland thing. Let me address a few things.

1. That logic would apply IF...and only IF you believe Evan Turner and Kevin Durant are somehow parallel. Working out Turner for evaluation purposes =/= Portland working out Durant.

2. This is more than just a "basketball decision". The franchise needs star power. It needs a new face. Something to be excited about. That's just not Evan Turner. No knock on him, Wall is just flat out a star

3. As the roster stands this very moment...this is a choose the best player available situation. If someone can show me some scenario where Turner excels more long term on this team than Wall does...then please let me see it. I can't right now.

In closing,

All of the PG's who've gone #1 out of college:

Derrick Rose
Allen Iverson
Magic Johnson
John Lucas

Just sayin...is that really a group you'd bet against? When there's a PG considered a consensus #1 pick, you draft him and ask questions later.

Headcase aside...I didn't see so many people questioning Chicago's decision to grab Rose over Beas even though Beas had the more dominant year #'s wise.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Headcase aside...I didn't see so many people questioning Chicago's decision to grab Rose over Beas even though Beas had the more dominant year #'s wise.

This is true... we practically started a campaign/petition and all to make sure they drafted Pooh.

I doubt he does Kenner this year. He may show up in attendance or to get some work in @ Yates with KD, Jeff, Pat, Roy, and co. I DEFINITELY see him down at the Farms. If he embraces the hood the way Gil did...he'll forever be a king in this city.

nba_g_draftlottery_576.jpg

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

After two years of horrors, it looks like the Wizards' fortunes are finally starting to turn. Wall, the presumptive top pick, becomes the cornerstone of a Washington rebuilding project, and this time don't expect the Wizards to try cutting any corners.

Incoming new owner Ted Leonsis broke down the Washington Capitals and built them back up when he took over the city's NHL team, and he is widely expected to do the same with his basketball operation. In some ways, adding Wall makes that job easier, as Washington can rest assured it will still sell tickets this coming campaign.

However, the Wizards' plentiful cap space isn't likely to become a prominent factor in the summer free-agent frenzy, even with Wall coming aboard. There are simply too many holes up and down the roster and too strong a mandate from ownership to keep the powder dry for coming seasons.

Instead, Wall's arrival starts the clock on the eventual departure of Gilbert Arenas. While it's possible for the two to play together in the backcourt, especially if Arenas is willing to play off the ball as a spot-up shooter, it makes little sense for a rebuilding Wizards squad to cling to a declining 28-year-old who ties up $80 million over the next four seasons.

Amazingly, given his history and contract, there may still be a market for Agent Zero. The most likely scenario would have Washington take on an equally unpalatable contract with a shorter expiration (say, Eddy Curry from New York, or a combination of Erick Dampier and Matt Carroll from Dallas, or Marcus Banks and Jose Calderon from Toronto) in return for Arenas, who was reasonably effective on the court last season but needs to move on for the sake of both sides.

The net effect, however, is to make the rebuilding plan much more tolerable in D.C. The Wizards were looking at being a truly awful team next season; with Wall, they're more likely to just be run-of-the-mill terrible, and they'll at least have a defined centerpiece for the future.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

You're putting words in my mouth...because if I was going to comment on Stern giving the Cavs Lebron, then I should at least know who the other teams were that struggled during Lebron's draft year, right?

Have you or have you not in the past here on the boards insinuated that Stern tampered with the 2003 lottery draft selection by having the Cleveland Cavaliers get the #1 pick, yes or no??
my man Deuce dishing out the questions in the court of law
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Any chance Wall makes an appearance at the Goodman League this summer?

Cause I will definitely be there.

Any chance Wall makes an appearance at the Goodman League this summer?

Cause I will definitely be there.

Please show me where I said that.

Your honor....I've said a lot of things that off the top of my head I can attest were wrong....Vernon Davis sucking in 2009, Jonathan Stewart being horrible in his rookie year, Desean Jackson not amounting to more than the next Todd Pinkston, ND's endowment #'s, and it goes on and on.....I honestly can't remember ever posting anything on any conspiracy theory in the NBA.  Check previous threads on the cheating scandals, etc etc...I'm absent from all of them.  I can admit when I'm wrong...I have no problem doing that.  But if you're going to come at me saying that you remember me saying certain things, at least come thru with proof. 

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

my man Deuce dishing out the questions in the court of law
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

gilbertcourt.jpg

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

We're all positive that Wall doesn't have any flaws and will be the better pro then Turner?
he dances a lot..

It's ok if he dances, but if 11 of his teammates do, then his whole career will be marked with 2nd and 3rd round exits.  Don't be mad at me for being right again this year. 
wink.gif

Just thought I'd share this tape with any Wizards fans who haven't seen it already (yes, it's HS, and it's still worth a view even if you have already seen it as well):

Dude instantly became one of my favorite hoopers after I first saw this over a year ago...

What this young man is capable of doing with his "off" hand...
sick.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom