WATCHMEN Movie Thread: Directors Cut is out (updated: deleted scene)

Saw this last night with a few friends, and to be honest as far understanding the movie and grasping the concept with none of us reading the book I wassurprised the dudes with me enjoyed the movie and understood it for thr most part...Not saying these dudes I was with are dumbies, but the average"hood" dude ain't really going to be able to into the bigger picture...

Anyway, I felt like this was 1 of the best movies I've seen (on a long list of "good" movies). I had no intentions of seeing this flick, buthappy I did.

smh.gif
@ how many people left the movie less then 1/2 way thru. 3/4 way thru and before it was about to be done. Couldn't understand why they didn't wantto fully get the whole experience. That were bouncing pissed off like this was the worst thing ever...

i got in the theaters, the place was packed.. half way through the movie, i look around it was about half empty

movie was so long, and moved so slow.

everything else was great.

IMO, if you haven't read the graphic novel, the movie is a bit tough to follow. There is just too much going on and when you combine that with the lengthof the movie, it does strain you.

I'm planning to see it again next Friday. After thinking about it, I'm still not too convinced the ending had to be altered to the extent it did. Andreally, the Dr. Manhattan flashback was very well reproduced in the film.

Originally Posted by BritEyes12

Did anyone else think Rorschach sounds like Christian Bale in TDK? !##@ was really annoying.

it fit ror a lot better than batman in TDK. i enjoyed the movie, but i hated the music they picked. some of it was extremely off

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

Originally Posted by RFX45

^^^ You must admit though, Manhattan's monologue on Mars (in the book) would give you a headache in the big screen.
laugh.gif
LOL, I can't even front. There were a couple of moments that reminded me of the Architect's harangue in Matrix Reloaded.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Forgot about that damn speech man.

roll.gif
MTV movie awards spoof of it.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

IMO, [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]if you haven't read the graphic novel, the movie is a bit tough to follow.[/color] There is just too much going on and when you combine that with the length of the movie, it does strain you.

I'm planning to see it again next Friday. After thinking about it, I'm still not too convinced the ending had to be altered to the extent it did. And really, the Dr. Manhattan flashback was very well reproduced in the film.
grin.gif

enh enh

Saw it today, thought it was as best as you could make a Watchmen film made for one sitting. If alot of things missing from the comics were incorporated,Snyder would've nailed it imo. It's pretty much like any other quasi-faithful novel to film adaptation. Film makes you say wow, then reading the bookmakes you go WOAH!. I was ok with the ending, just didn't like it really. (possible spoiler alert) The absurdity of the giant alien squid makes you believethe world will come together and go "what the %@#+? lets not fight each other there's wild stuff out there. Dr. Manhattan was already familiar to theworld. Yes he's something to be feared, but they were comfy enough to stick mics in his face and ask Donahue-like questions. Even if not the squid,should've been something stranger than blaming it on Dr. Manhattan.

And I loved the music.

Just got back from seeing this in imax with my girl. And we both thought the movie was !#%@#$# AMAZING! We honestly are thinking about seeing it again. We dontknow why this movie is getting bashed so much. we actually saw people walk out. 3 hours was perfect for this movie. If you like murder mysteries w/ dopeaction, then you will dig this movie. Like i said me and my girl loved this movie A LOT! Go see it.

BTW my girl and I have never read the book or even heard of watchmen. Reading the book ruins the movie IMO.

-The Juice

I've never heard from so many sources of people walking out of the theater...especially with movie tix costing like 47 dollars

next week is gonna be a baaaaaad week for this movie oh man

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

We dont know why this movie is getting bashed so much. we actually saw people walk out. 3 hours was perfect for this movie.
I dont either. And I mean, it isnt even 3 hours! People acting like it's moving so slow and boring, I mean damn do you not appreciate a goodstory that takes 15 minutes in between the action a few times?

I think people were expecting something along the lines of 300, since the commercials were hyping it up with 'From the director of 300'

Originally Posted by 18key

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

We dont know why this movie is getting bashed so much. we actually saw people walk out. 3 hours was perfect for this movie.
I dont either. And I mean, it isnt even 3 hours! People acting like it's moving so slow and boring, I mean damn do you not appreciate a good story that takes 15 minutes in between the action a few times?

I think people were expecting something along the lines of 300, since the commercials were hyping it up with 'From the director of 300'

Honestly, I was a surprised but when I saw a thread here on NT, saying The Shining was overrated and a crappy movie, (no offense to NT at all) but I knew whatkind of movies people now-a-days prefer. I mean seriously, bashing on The Shining? It's all good though, as long as they do not use the "I hate themovie because of the blue penis" excuse, then I can understand why some would hate it.

--300 didnt require brains to watch. People have short attention spans these days.
--Movie length was perfect IMO, not even 3 hours...short by 20 mins or so....

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Saw it today, thought it was as best as you could make a Watchmen film made for one sitting. If alot of things missing from the comics were incorporated, Snyder would've nailed it imo. It's pretty much like any other quasi-faithful novel to film adaptation. Film makes you say wow, then reading the book makes you go WOAH!. I was ok with the ending, just didn't like it really. (possible spoiler alert) The absurdity of the giant alien squid makes you believe the world will come together and go "what the %@#+? lets not fight each other there's wild stuff out there. Dr. Manhattan was already familiar to the world. Yes he's something to be feared, but they were comfy enough to stick mics in his face and ask Donahue-like questions. Even if not the squid, should've been something stranger than blaming it on Dr. Manhattan.

And I loved the music.

Thank you! The psycho-biological squid monster's mere existence was so absurd that the world collectively realized it had to unite. Dr.Manhattan was so acclimated to mankind and Earth in general that he didn't pose the same threat that the monster did...

You guys make good points but imagine if they have to explain and show the island, that would be another 10-15 minutes into the movie, which will push thismovie to 3 hours long. I don't mind at all, but I could see why people may not want to go see a 3-hour movie. I seriously wish the Director's cut wouldbe 4-hours long!

i;m not complaining about the length. I wish they would have kept certain aspects of the book in the movie.

Hollis Mason wasn't killed which was a big part of Viedts scheme

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

i;m not complaining about the length. I wish they would have kept certain aspects of the book in the movie.

Hollis Mason wasn't killed which was a big part of Viedts scheme
I wondered that , i remember seeing pics before the film released of the knotheads in Hollis' office. I think the pic is in this post too.

knottopsnf9.jpg

In the directors cut perhaps? And there's also a live action version of Hollis' book on the freighter dvd.

Saw it today, thought it was as best as you could make a Watchmen film made for one sitting. If alot of things missing from the comics were incorporated, Snyder would've nailed it imo. It's pretty much like any other quasi-faithful novel to film adaptation. Film makes you say wow, then reading the book makes you go WOAH!. I was ok with the ending, just didn't like it really. (possible spoiler alert) The absurdity of the giant alien squid makes you believe the world will come together and go "what the %@#+? lets not fight each other there's wild stuff out there. Dr. Manhattan was already familiar to the world. Yes he's something to be feared, but they were comfy enough to stick mics in his face and ask Donahue-like questions. Even if not the squid, should've been something stranger than blaming it on Dr. Manhattan.

And I loved the music.

Thank you! The psycho-biological squid monster's mere existence was so absurd that the world collectively realized it had to unite. Dr. Manhattan was so acclimated to mankind and Earth in general that he didn't pose the same threat that the monster did...

Agreed....also I think that all the extra foreboding that the squid would've provided, as it does in the book (missing people, the island, the boat blowingup), would've made this movie even better....would've created an even bigger build-up and a greater sense that something very very terrible was aboutto happen....but I still feel the ending was good enough

and niteowl didnt rough up knothead in the bar with rorschach.

I did see the glance back he made to him though, like it was cut from the theatrical release.

And I loved the music.

Thank you! The psycho-biological squid monster's mere existence was so absurd that the world collectively realized it had to unite. Dr. Manhattan was so acclimated to mankind and Earth in general that he didn't pose the same threat that the monster did...

alien.gif

thanks for maximizing a %%$!@@* spoiler
indifferent.gif

and niteowl didnt rough up knothead in the bar with rorschach.

I did see the glance back he made to him though, like it was cut from the theatrical release.
I felt shortchanged because of that scene too...He looked but then...nothing.

Would have been cool to have them use the owl segways to get to the fortress.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

And I loved the music.

alien.gif

thanks for maximizing a %%$!@@* spoiler
indifferent.gif
My fault, man. At the rate the reviews have been going though, I really don't think you would've wanted to walk in the theatre before themovie started only to leave perplexed 30 minutes later like so many before you.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom