Weird Nike Appreciation Thread

With recent retros of kukinis and rifts, I've been able to round out a decent collection of nikes I've always thought of as a little weird and unconventional. I think of "weird" shoes here as ones that don't include traditional materials like leather, suede, mesh, or just have a completely unique design. Example, kukinis with the spider web cage, rifts with the split toe, foamposites speak for themselves. Even huarache runners and prestos are still weird to me, despite how normalized they've become. Projects like alpha project, HTM, and nike considered also come to mind

This pic is what I've currently got. Would love to see what other ones y'all got in your collections, or what weird ones from the archives y'all wanna see nike bring back. My #1 from the vault of weird nikes might be the zoom seismic b.
weirdnikes2.jpg

And some I had in the past that are long gone
1972qs.JPG
airflow.JPG

Mayfly wovens! Loved those. The NSW mint version with the fly wing print was so dope too. Off to ebay I go

Whoa info on that last pair? Can't tell if it's supposed to say swoosh or Swoopes like Sheryl. Don't think I ever seen tuned air on a bball shoe that's wild

Whoa info on that last pair? Can't tell if it's supposed to say swoosh or Swoopes like Sheryl. Don't think I ever seen tuned air on a bball shoe that's wild
Tuned Swoopes. She had some nice sigs, but of course nobody was buying them. Swoopes 1s were like a mashup of the Air Adjust and Penny Flight 1. The 4 was like a Penny 3 model.
IMG_0780.jpeg

Now the Air Max Duncan was part of the Alpha Project and took its cues from the Kukuni.
IMG_0782.jpeg

I’d also take these. Air Max Duncan 2. These sat in San Antonio. As low as $29.99 from what I remember.
IMG_0783.jpeg

I can appreciate this appreciation thread. Don’t have anything too wild, but I pulled out a few “niche” models that some people may consider as weird or different.

And some of these are more common silhouettes, but have weird/unique elements to them. Like flyknit on the AF1, no-liner on the AM1 and green curry Dunk, 1-piece laser uppers on the spice orange Dunk, and lunar sole on the AM90.

The Penny 2 and AJ13 are legendary, but I have to admit they always looked sort of weird to me.

IMG_8295.jpeg

Last edited:
I can appreciate this appreciation thread. Don’t have anything too wild, but I pulled out a few “niche” models that some people may consider as weird or different.

And some of these are more common silhouettes, but have weird/unique elements to them. Like flyknit on the AF1, no-liner on the AM1 and green curry Dunk, 1-piece laser uppers on the spice orange Dunk, and lunar sole on the AM90.

The Penny 2 and AJ13 are legendary, but I have to admit they always looked sort of weird to me.

IMG_8295.jpeg
Seeing most of these in their og form in the 80s and 90s, they were odd for their time, most notably the huaraches and prestos. The AJ 13 was strange when they came out because we couldn’t figure out the upper lol. collabs now make them odd, but there are some true head scratching new models like the Air Max Scorpion (?). Guess that’s what happens when you hit the “get off my lawn” age lol.

The one piece dunks were definitely weird lol. Nike went so crazy with the laser stuff in the mid-late 2000s. Love the ultramarine huarache lights! Shoulda inlcuded my size joints

The woven chukkas were always too weird for me. I like the lows a lot but idk what it is about the chukkas I can't get with

Seeing most of these in their og form in the 80s and 90s, they were odd for their time, most notably the huaraches and prestos. The AJ 13 was strange when they came out because we couldn’t figure out the upper lol. collabs now make them odd, but there are some true head scratching new models like the Air Max Scorpion (?). Guess that’s what happens when you hit the “get off my lawn” age lol.
Retros > whatever new model Nike is trying to push out

Speaking of Prestos, I remember when the shoe originally launched, the sizing was definitely strange. Never seen a sneaker before that used S, M, and L instead of traditional numbers. I never understood why Nike did this until I found out they marketed the shoe as “T-shirt for your feet”. Genius marketing haha

The one piece dunks were definitely weird lol. Nike went so crazy with the laser stuff in the mid-late 2000s. Love the ultramarine huarache lights! Shoulda inlcuded my size joints

The woven chukkas were always too weird for me. I like the lows a lot but idk what it is about the chukkas I can't get with

On foot, the 1-piece dunks are stiff af and the no-liner dunks are flimsy. Zero comfort for both pairs smh

I can see why the desert chukka wasn’t very popular in the footscape line, being that the upper was pretty much entirely woven. But I love ‘em for some odd reason.

You should keep the thread going and post those lights in here!

The Shox Stunner looked weird and felt weird!
The midfoot was very secure with the zipped elastic (but tight) "shroud".
However, the laces didn't go far up (not even as "high" as a low top) so there was a big space between where you tied laces/top of zipper and the ankle strap.
Anyone else remember these?

nike-shox-stunner-1.jpg shox-stunner.jpg images.jpeg.jpg

There was also one with a removable strap but I couldn't remember name.
A search led me to an old thread from 2011 which gave me the name - Nike Air Big Flyer Force

hqdefault.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg
3997975114_48007bdcde_c.jpg

And also found out the "OG" basketball sneaker with Tuned Air - Nike Air Force Max Plus

images.jpeg.jpg

images.jpeg-2.jpg

Yeah the see through era stuff never did it for me. Love all those tuned hoop shoes though wow. Always thought the garnett's were regular max air in the heel. Duncan had such a dope variety of nikes, I'd kill for a pair of those kukini-like joints. It's hilarious considering he's so far from a sneakerhead lol

Huarache lights on foot recently. One thing that makes a lot of these nikes weird IMO is lack of a big swoosh. Lets them go a lot crazier with the designs
1695341383534.jpeg

Was the Ultraposite the pinnacle of Foamposite?
I bought a used pair and they were badly scuffed yet the zoom air felt amazing!
Believe only the black pair released and Kidd wore a white pair and just found out there was a sample Penny pair!

All photos found online.
I'm quite sure the collage I made was from photos taken by Prof K of Kicksology.net

images.jpeg.jpg
20230922_124417.jpg
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Screen-shot-2012-03-27-at-5.02.57-PM-1.png
z9jn7zgqligokaqbqba0.jpg

Apparently courtposites are on the way back. Definitely gotta see some more posites come out the archives besides ones and pros

Back
Top Bottom