WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

Disney Shutting Down Marvel Comics?
disney-shutting-down-marvel-comics.jpg

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-shutting-down-marvel-comics

The comic book industry is presently said to be in a state of collapse, and following the recent news of troubles within DC Comics, now it is being speculated Disney may actually be considering shutting down Marvel Comics.

Speculation about problems within Marvel Comics comes from a press release issued by the company where Marvel Comics Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada and Editor-In-Chief C.B. Cebulski are attending the upcoming SXSW where the pair will be hosting a panel and putting it forth how Marvel Comics is responsible for the success in other markets, such as film, TV, video games and merchandise.

"Titled 'Marvel: From Comics To Screens,' the hour-long panel will look at how some of Marvel’s most iconic characters and storylines have contributed to the games, movies, and television series that are so renowned among popular culture. Everything starts with an idea – and Marvel Comics is the spark that lights the fire!" the press release states in part.

Bleeding Cool actually puts it forth the reason Quesada and Cebulski are doing the panel is, in essence, to save Marvel Comics, as sales have been dwindling for years and they need to convince Disney that publishing Marvel comic books - even though they are losing money - is still a good idea because it is the inspiration for markets that do make money, such as Kevin Feige's insanely popular MCU.

marvel-comics.jpg

Regarding the comic book market and Marvel Comics being in a state of collapse, a retailers summit was recently held which saw comic book store owner Brian Hibbs offer the industry is nearly on its knees -- and pointed to Marvel as the main culprit.

"National sales are very poor – there are comics in the national top 100 that aren’t even selling twenty thousand copies. A significant number of stores have closed — perhaps as many as 10% of outlets," Hibbs said. "Want a clear and current example of Marvel’s preposterous 'flood the zone' strategy? War of the Realms is supposed to be their major Q2 project in 2019, but in the first month alone they’re asking us to buy into TWO issues of the series being released with no sales data, as well as FOUR different tie-in-mini-series. All six of these comics (which are built around a six-issue storyline) will require final orders from us before we’ve sold a single comic to an actual reader. Is there anyone in this room thinks that this is good? That this is sustainable? That this will sell more comics to more readers? That this will sell any copies to people who aren’t already on board Marvel’s periodicals already?"

marvel-now.jpg

While it is currently just speculation that Disney would shut down Marvel Comics, worth a mention is that it could be possible one day Disney decides to simply license out the characters and stop publishing altogether. Disney CEO Bob Iger, in an investors call, recently said the company isn't going to bother producing video games in-house because they feel it isn't worth it. Perhaps that could be the fate of the Marvel comic book industry?

If you happen to follow the comic book news rather closely, I'll add my own two cents in that I have been complaining about the problems surrounding Marvel Comics for years. Basically, when Marvel Comics canceled titles like Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy for no good reason and replaced them with characters no one wanted to read about and promoted the new series with dozens and dozens of variants (one issue had upwards of 30 variant covers alone), it caused a huge backlash amongst readers. Marvel Comics then proceeded to continue with that format with their more popular characters, with the results backfiring completely.

Catch up with what?

I don't even get the comparison. MCU is a multiple franchise juggernaut. It's scope and scale was established with the first 3 movies.

im talking about its epicness in its movie incarnation form.

da MCU had to catch up to da epicness that was already da starwars universe in da silver screen...in da nerd realm Star wars had basically a 15+ year headstart.... Marvel still didn't hit their prime in da comic in da 70's while star wars was reigning down Hollywood & popculture.

im talking about its epicness in its movie incarnation form.

da MCU had to catch up to da epicness that was already da starwars universe in da silver screen...in da nerd realm Star wars had basically a 15+ year headstart.... Marvel still didn't hit their prime in da comic in da 70's while star wars was reigning down Hollywood & popculture.
Marvel didn't have to catch up to that.

Star Wars came out first. In the 70s and 80s. Then they followed up with some trash and w/e you want to call what's going on now.

I don't even get why you're making this comparison. Its just like a random fact you're stating. Star Wars made movies before Marvel. Ok. **** don't even matter cuz they're both under Disney now.

That has nothing to do with me saying SW wasn't that good.

The MCU have easily established their own epicness on top of a far more lucrative movie studio.

Star Wars came out first. In the 70s and 80s. Then they followed up with some trash and w/e you want to call what's going on now.

but Marvel Comics existed decades upon decades before star wars.... they should been more epic at da box office alot sooner considering starwars hit da ground running.

but Marvel Comics existed decades upon decades before star wars.... they should been more epic at da box office alot sooner considering starwars hit da ground running.

Star Wars started as movies

Hollywood didn’t really buy into marvel movies and CBMs on the whole til it was painfully obvious

Which was after marvel had money problems

Star Wars started as movies

Hollywood didn’t really buy into marvel movies and CBMs on the whole til it was painfully obvious

you're wrong if you understood that George Lucas originally wanted to create a movie for da Flash Gordon comic book series.

imagine if:

A. Flash Gordon rights were granted to George Lucas.

B. George Lucas was enamored with a Marvel Character instead of Flash Gordon, say Namor da submariner?

if either of those scenerios play out Star Wars doesn't exist...point is Comic book had a wealth of source material to create epic movies from early on...there just wasn't enough talented George Lucas esque directors to bring to life.

The new generation just aren't comic book readers I think

I think it'd be easier if there's one website and for a flat fee you can read all of the new issues. There's a website like that I think, but problem is the release schedule for the issues on there are behind print.

Idk about marvel comics shutting down but maybe they can really scale back the volume that they're putting out.

tangible reading has fallen off in all mediums (books, magazines, etc)...what Marvel should've started years ago is created a visual audiobook series with voice actors that they could sell or host on a site with advertisement...

i used to LOVE MTV da maxxx.

basically staring at hand drawn stills narrated by great voice acting. you could commoditize that pretty easily.

you're wrong if you understood that George Lucas originally wanted to create a movie for da Flash Gordon comic book series.

imagine if:

A. Flash Gordon rights were granted to George Lucas.

B. George Lucas was enamored with a Marvel Character instead of Flash Gordon, say Namor da submariner?

if either of those scenerios play out Star Wars doesn't exist...point is Comic book had a wealth of source material to create epic movies from early on...there just wasn't enough talented George Lucas esque directors to bring to life.
IMO part of the issue was waiting for the technology to catch up to the material. Superpowers looking right on the big screen is a big deal. And with superheroes everyone has a power that has to look right.

All SW had to do was show a toy spaceship and the light sabers was the toughest thing.

Feel there was only really Supes on the big screen in the 70’s for that reason.

Content was always there for CBM, but the tech wasn’t ready yet.

I think it'd be easier if there's one website and for a flat fee you can read all of the new issues. There's a website like that I think, but problem is the release schedule for the issues on there are behind print.

Idk about marvel comics shutting down but maybe they can really scale back the volume that they're putting out.

Model just changed.. and this goes for books on the whole

Fortunately for us fans of the comics, Hollywood finally realized the value of the properties

And stopped being happy with mediocre

As I’ve said, would think ‘89 Batman would have taught them this lesson

Star Wars has been a comic book series for a long as the films have been around, believe it or not.

But which started 1st?

I know a lot came from the success and was early too.. but the movies were known to be a success

Whereas Hollywood was always dismissive of CBMs

Last edited:
Don’t do it. Not the thread for this.

I legit wanna know what homeboy thinks he’ll do on a message boy

Y’all better check the person who has constantly been a problem

How many threads is he banned from? How many of his threads have been shut down?

I legit wanna know what homeboy thinks he’ll do on a message boy

Y’all better check the person who has constantly been a problem

How many threads is he banned from? How many of his threads have been shut down?
As long as folks are in here talking about the topic there is nothing to moderate. Going at folks for whatever reason is not going to be allowed. If someone is not following the rules of the forum, report them. Otherwise personal beef can be taken to PMs.

tangible reading has fallen off in all mediums (books, magazines, etc)...what Marvel should've started years ago is created a visual audiobook series with voice actors that they could sell or host on a site with advertisement...

i used to LOVE MTV da maxxx.

basically staring at hand drawn stills narrated by great voice acting. you could commoditize that pretty easily.

BP had one of these on BET for a minute. They'd need the right character.

As long as folks are in here talking about the topic there is nothing to moderate. Going at folks for whatever reason is not going to be allowed. If someone is not following the rules of the forum, report them. Otherwise personal beef can be taken to PMs.

Ain’t personal beef.. I just know whenever dude shows up it’ll be about some sort of agenda

Like the Brie Larson mess, for example

Next thing whenever falcon becomes captain America, dude will be back

IMO part of the issue was waiting for the technology to catch up to the material. Superpowers looking right on the big screen is a big deal. And with superheroes everyone has a power that has to look right.

All SW had to do was show a toy spaceship and the light sabers was the toughest thing.

Feel there was only really Supes on the big screen in the 70’s for that reason.

that's fair, but early heroes weren't nearly that powerful or cosmic, Hollywood if pushed could've made practical special effects work for alot more heroes than just Supes...

Batman in 1989 wasn't a tour de force in special effects...it was just real good directing and practical special effects...

Back
Top Bottom