WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

Yellowjacket alive after that death scene?

main-qimg-9b0f5413eca94051c031a69e91d2091d

The way he writes black characters is off and that's putting it politely. I haven't read his kick-*** 2 so I don't know if there has been any progress there.
The only time I really recall him writing a black character was Space Bandits, Kick-*** 2 and Prodigy.

He also wrote Ultimate Nick Fury and Blade but it just felt like he was writing a black Nick Fury and angry vampire slayer. Not black characters.

I must've missed where he offended but given his style I'm not surprised. He tends to write one way.

The only time I really recall him writing a black character was Space Bandits, Kick-*** 2 and Prodigy.

He also wrote Ultimate Nick Fury and Blade but it just felt like he was writing a black Nick Fury and angry vampire slayer. Not black characters.

I must've missed where he offended but given his style I'm not surprised. He tends to write one way.
I found when he wrote ethnic characters in Marvel/Image (before kick *** 2 and prodigy) they went from anything from charicature to straight stereotype. It seems to me much of how he writes black characters is/was informed by blaxploitation films. I think examples can be seen in Wanted, Kick-***, and his Marvel stuff.

All that being said people change and grow which may be seen in later work but I'm not inclined to read his stuff.

Last edited:
I found when he wrote ethnic characters in Marvel/Image (before kick *** 2 and prodigy) they went from anything from charicature to straight stereotype. It seems to me much of how he writes black characters is/was informed by blaxploitation films. I think examples can be seen in Wanted, Kick-***, and his Marvel stuff.

All that being said people change and grow which may be seen in later work but I'm not inclined to read his stuff.
Oh wait you know what, I forgot about the Tyrone Cash Hulk. That **** was wild offensive. He created a genius old black man that recreated the Hulk formula and perfected it and when he used it on himself he became a criminal, abandoned his family, moved to Brazil or Colombia to get a harem of whores, and run a drug empire :smh:

It's been a while so I don't remember Wanted and any black characters but I get what you're saying.

I did read Prodigy and Kick-*** 2 and he's seemed to move on from depicting black ppl as what he thinks is cool and edgy (the way white ppl thought black ppl acted in the 90s).

Oh wait you know what, I forgot about the Tyrone Cash Hulk. That **** was wild offensive. He created a genius old black man that recreated the Hulk formula and perfected it and when he used it on himself he became a criminal, abandoned his family, moved to Brazil or Colombia to get a harem of whores, and run a drug empire :smh:

It's been a while so I don't remember Wanted and any black characters but I get what you're saying.

I did read Prodigy and Kick-*** 2 and he's seemed to move on from depicting black ppl as what he thinks is cool and edgy (the way white ppl thought black ppl acted in the 90s).

Yeah I agree he was Tarrantino-esque in terms of how he wrote black characters in the past. It seemed with Kick *** 2 and Prodigy he seemed to re-examine his approach to black characters.

Yeah I would re-read Wanted it's definitely heinous when it comes to characters of colour (the art is pretty good though).

Back
Top Bottom