What are u sippin on? VOL.......cheers

Vacation finds. Love when randomly walking into a liquor store pays off….

5F2C1338-6F36-473C-93AA-522A6078B606.jpeg

For a chill evening how many pours is the norm? When I was fat I could drink liquor all night but since I lost around 50 pounds I black out every time I drink liquor. Been sticking to high abv beers and red wine recently.

Welp, I know what I won't be sippin' on tonight :smh:

20230318_142306.jpg

I don't know why they gave me a paper bag to carry two 750s and a 4-pack of ginger beer 🤬

Much respect to the manager of the NH State Liquor Store where I bought that bottle for having no problem replacing it :nthat:

So, tonight:
20230319_205828.jpg

I’m trying to build my whiskey repertoire

My go to was makers mark, I’ve had suntory, gentleman’s jack, etc but nothing really higher up

What’s a güd baseline higher end one I can start with and then advance?

My go to was makers mark, I’ve had suntory, gentleman’s jack, etc but nothing really higher up

I'm a scotch whisky guy myself, nearly all single malts (I only drink blends at bars, weddings, etc.). I like the taste a lot more than American bourbon whiskey - I find the corn-based stuff too sweet. That said, if you do try scotch, decide first if you want a smokey taste or not.

If you like cigars or don't mind a taste of char in your drink, try an Islay (or "peated") malt like Laphroaig.

If (like me) you don't want your whisky to taste/smell like an ashtray, start with a simple 10yr old Highland like Glenmorangie. You can get a bottle for like $35-40. It's my go-to for when I'm just looking to have a couple drinks at night. If you try it and like it, start trying stuff that's older and finished in different barrels (sherry, bourbon, rum, etc.). Balvenie 12yr old double wood is one of my all-time favorites (~$65), and their Caribbean Cask (14yr old, the last two finished in a Rum cask; ~$80) is sensational.

Once you've really developed an idea of what you like, that's when I recommend trying a $100+ 18yr old+.

But yeah, figure out if you want that smoke taste first. Might be worth checking with your closest BIG liquor store if they ever have tastings, that way you can try a few things at once without committing to buying a whole bottle of something you don't like. Also, you can generally believe the tasting notes on the bottles. I like spicier stuff neat in fall/winter and the sweeter/fruitier stuff on ice in spring/summer. If you want specific reviews of stuff, check Reddit's r/scotch reviews. The reviews can be so-so, but the comments on the reviews can tell you a lot to give you a a good consensus view of what the stuff's actually like.

Make sure to post what you try here, though, and enjoy!

Are Yu drinking these straight ?

Gent Jack & Makers were my go-to as well in my first years of drinking (like a booze-bag). I'd def recommend MM46, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, 1792 & Four Roses (the restaurants who aren't cheap have this as their well whiskey but they got good higher grade stuff too). Whiskeys that's decent straight but not too much not to mix wit sum

Would rec Knob Creek but that's 100 proof

Would also suggest looking thru ABC/Total Wine for the gift pak. Those the only to get some of the better stuff at a smaller size to try

Back
Top Bottom