What does it feel like being short?

This thread gave me nightmares last night. I kept waking up in a cold sweat that I was under 6 feet.

Do most females care about height?  Yes

Do jobs care about height? somewhat/not so much

It is more the perception of height is correlated to someone who commands respect and fits the prototype of a good leader.  It's like in the NFL where the successful QB prototype is a tall Tom Brady like guy with a strong arm.  There are tons of QBs that are great that are shorter and do not fit that mold. 

This is not to say there are not successful CEOs who are short or short people who pull bad chicks.

It's just a characteristic and one that is often first noticed and acknowledged. 

Originally Posted by alex onee

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

Height has NOTHING to do with getting girls.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Not only does it have something to do with getting girls, it has something to do with getting jobs and ahead in life in general.
O rly? Damn bro you must be so far ahead in life
Btw top 3 forbes richest people are under 6 feet. Lolz
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates aint getting no yambs either

im 5'8. But i aint ugly and i got a decent size jimmy.

Amongst adults it doesn't matter. But it does to some females, unless you got game. Iono, I like being slept on...don't get me wrong, not being tall has its disadvantages but if you let that stop you then you're garbo.

Again, things like "being tall advances your career" is what we shorter dudes have a problem with. None of us argued that it's easier to get women if you're taller, but this is just stupid. I don't know what kind of hick town you live in, but here in the Bay Area, THOUSANDS of extra short, 5'5 Asian immigrants are buying mansions, driving ridiculous cars, etc. Go to any company here and see what most of the dudes who make 250K+ look like.Of course some clown will respond to this and say "But the taller presidential candidate won 
roll.gif
", as if any of the dudes posting here are at that level anyway. An office isn't a catwalk
laugh.gif
By the way the taller NTers are posting, you'd think they're all CEOs, athletes, and male models all at the same time

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

It is more the perception of height is correlated to someone who commands respect and fits the prototype of a good leader.  It's like in the NFL where the successful QB prototype is a tall Tom Brady like guy with a strong arm.  There are tons of QBs that are great that are shorter and do not fit that mold. 

This is not to say there are not successful CEOs who are short or short people who pull bad chicks.

It's just a characteristic and one that is often first noticed and acknowledged. 

Yeah most females do low key care about height. At the end of the day, they might not care at all if you're attactive enough, or vibe with you enough. I mean, as long as youre taller than them WHILE they have heels on.
laugh.gif

It used to bother me when I was younger, but I was maddd short. In Gr.9 I was 5 feet tall before I hit a growth spurt. Now I'm 5'9 though so it doesn't bother me that much. It's probably at the very bottom of my list of concerns/worries. I'm good being the height I am.

im only like 5'10 barefoot but its cool..not too short, not too tall. not gonna lie id hate it if i was under 5'9

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

Yeah most females do low key care about height. At the end of the day, they might not care at all if you're attactive enough, or vibe with you enough. I mean, as long as youre taller than them WHILE they have heels on.
laugh.gif

Definitely.  If a female always has to wear flats or sandals on with her man...she is wishing she had a chance to wear heels without looking like Manute Bol towering over her man.  Women like to look up to their men, but with that said there is a size/height of women for everyone.

Some shorter dudes hit the gym too hard and try to make up for the lack of vertical size by expanding outward and doing 1,000 bicep curls and that's it. 

I saw a bumper sticker last week coming home from work too:

"Nice Truck...Sorry About Your Small Penis."  Joint had me cracking up
roll.gif

Originally Posted by beh235

How in the hell did this thread get this far? 5'10" checking in fwiw

somehow it became a post your height thread, such as what you did. With people posting im 5'10 barefoot, or im 6'3.75 in 3 pairs of socks and some air force 1's
instead of actually discussing the topic

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

the amount of insecurity of both sides is amusing.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
For real, I expected that from the shorter side, but it's pretty alarming and hilarious from the taller side

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

Height has NOTHING to do with getting girls.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Not only does it have something to do with getting girls, it has something to do with getting jobs and ahead in life in general.

This is seriously funny.
Oh, it is?

Notice I said it had something to do with it, not everything.  However:

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Taller People Earn More Money[/h1]

Robert Roy Britt

Date: 11 July 2009 Time: 06:19 AM ET

FOLLOW US

5552-taller-people-earn-money.html

[color= rgb(114, 127, 110)] [table][tr][td] ...4768/iFF/081003-money-02.jpg?1296083267[/img]

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Public opinion surveys show that rich and poor share similar viewpoints on how the government should spend its money.
CREDIT: stock.xchng [/td] [/tr][/table][/color]
There's a growing body of research that finds taller people make more money.

The latest study, in Australia, found that being 6-foot tall bringsraises annual income nearly $1,000 compared to men two inches shorter.

"Taller people are perceived to be more intelligent and powerful," according to the study, published recently in the Economic Record.

"Our estimates suggest that if the average man of about 178centimeters [5 feet 10 inches] gains an additional five centimeters [2inches] in height, he would be able to earn an extra $950 per year -which is approximately equal to the wage gain from one extra year oflabor market experience," said study co-author Andrew Leigh, aneconomist at the Australian National University.

Other studies in the United States and Britain put the extra earnings at nearly that much per inch.

"The truth is, tall people do make more money. They make $789 moreper inch per year," says Arianne Cohen, author of "The Tall Book"(Bloomsbury USA, June, 2009).

There's nothing else physically measurable about tall people thatexplains the salary boost, however, Cohen explained recently onAmerican Public Media's radio program Marketplace. "They're not nicer.They're not prettier. They're not anything else. But they've sort ofgotten a halo in society at this point."

Serious money over time

As the inches mount, the salary continues to, too.

Cohen's number is based in part on a 2003 review of four large U.S.and UK studies led by Timothy Judge, a management professor at theUniversity of Florida. Judge and his colleague concluded that someonewho is 7 inches taller — for example, 6 feet versus 5 feet 5 inches —would be expected to earn $5,525 more per year.

Height was found to be more important than gender in determiningincome (though that claim is debatable, depending on how you analyzethe gender salary gap) and its significance doesn't decline with age.

"If you take this over the course of a 30-year career and compoundit, we're talking about literally hundreds of thousands of dollars ofearnings advantage that a tall person enjoys," Judge said then.

Being tall may boost self-confidence,helping to make a person more successful and also prompting people toascribe more status and respect to the tall person, Judge said.

Of course all such studies generate averages. A shorter person cancertainly beat the odds, and not every tall person is raking it in.

Cohen, who is 6 foot 3 inches tall, says the pay advantage is conferred partly because taller people tend to exude leadership.

"Tall people tend to act like a leader from a very young age becauseother children relate to them like a slightly older peer," she said onthe radio program. "In the workplace, when you're automatically actingas a leader, that's really important when it comes time for promotion."

To some extent, then, the advantage of height may date back to youth.

A 2003 study of 2,000 U.S. men found that their height at age 16 hada big effect on their salary as an adult, regardless of how tall theyended up being. "We found that two adults of the same age and height,who were different heights at age 16, were treated differently in thelabor market. The taller teen earned more," said study team memberNicola Persico of the University of Pennsylvania.

Vertically challenged

All is not rosy on high, however.

In her book, Cohen notes that being tall can cost more, fromadditional food requirements to costlier clothes and the desire foroutsized things like high-ceilinged homes. (Interestingly, there's agrowing debate about whether obese people should pay for their excess footprint on society and the environment, yet nobody is calling for taxing the tall.)

The average height for American men is about 5 feet 9 inches nearly5 feet 4 inches for women. In more than a century, no U.S. presidenthas been below average height (the last one was William McKinley, at 5feet 7 inches, and he was ridiculed in the press as a "little boy,"Judge said).

Judge figures the advantages of height today are rooted in our evolutionary decision-making regarding who was most powerful.

"When humans evolved as a species and still lived in the jungles oron the plain, they ascribed leader-like qualities to tall peoplebecause they thought they would be better able to protect them," Judgesaid. "Although that was thousands of years ago, evolutionarypsychologists would argue that some of those old patterns still operatein our perceptions today."

Why tall people make more money
[h5]POSTED: 10:26 a.m. EST, February 2, 2007[/h5]

By Meg Donohue
CareerBuilder.com

Adjust font size:

icon.minus.dim.gif

icon.plus.gif

(CareerBuilder.com) -- As if the vertically-challenged don't have to deal with enough (what with hemming pant legs, straining to peer over people at concerts, and struggling to reach the top shelf at grocery stores), it turns out taller people are better compensated than their shorter colleagues.

To add insult to injury, height has not only been linked to larger paychecks and greater self-confidence, but also to higher intelligence.*
http://http://[h3]Sweet Sixteen[/h3]
For decades, social scientists have studied what is referred to as the "height premium" -- the increased earnings that, on average, taller people receive.

A 2001 study by Nicola Persico, Andrew Postlewaite and Dan Silverman of the University of Pennsylvania, found that it's the height a person had as a teenager that matters when it comes to bringing home the bacon as an adult.

"Two adults of the same age and height who were different heights at age 16 are treated differently on the labor market," Persico, Postlewaite and Silverman concluded. "The person who was taller as a teen earns more."

"Those who were relatively short when young," they continued, "were less likely to participate in social activities associated with the accumulation of productive skills and attributes, and report lower self-esteem."

Weak self-esteem and underdeveloped social skills, can negatively affect the image one portrays to co-workers and managers as an adult. A person who lacks confidence is generally seen as less authoritative, and may have a harder time convincing employers of his or her leadership potential.

And those, ahem, shortcomings prove particularly detrimental when hiring managers determine salary.
http://http://[h3]Sizeable Salary[/h3]
A 2004 study by psychologist Timothy A. Judge, Ph.D., of the University of Florida, and researcher Daniel M. Cable, Ph.D., of the University of North Carolina, found that every inch of height amounts to a salary increase of about $789 per year (the study controlled for gender, weight and age).

By this calculation, someone who is 6 feet tall earns $5,525 more annually than someone who is 5 feet, 6 inches. Over the course of a career, of course, those numbers can really add up.

"Perhaps when humans were in the early stages of organization, they used height as an index for power in making 'fight or flight' decisions," Judge told the "Monitor on Psychology," a publication of the American Psychological Association. "They ascribed leader-like qualities to tall people because they thought they would be better able to protect them. Evolutionary psychologists would argue that some of those old patterns still operate in our perceptions today."
http://http://[h3]Smart Money[/h3]
A new study published in August 2006 by Princeton economists Anne Case and Christina Paxson offers a fresh and decidedly controversial explanation for why taller people make more money: They're just smarter.

"As early as age 3 -- before schooling has had a chance to play a role -- and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests," Case and Paxson state in the study.

"As adults," they continue, "taller individuals are more likely to select into higher-paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome rewards."

In other words, the inflated paychecks of tall people may have less to do with biases and social stigmas than previously believed. If taller people do, in fact, select occupations that require more advanced skills, employers may be justified in granting them higher salaries.

Perhaps most importantly, Case and Paxson highlight the important role proper early nutrition plays in determining both height and cognitive ability. A person's ability to achieve his or her greatest potential intelligence may boil down to the care he or she received in the womb and during the first three years of life.

This means, whether tall or short, a person's health as a baby could directly correlate to the health of their paycheck when they enter the workforce.

* Wondering how you stack up? According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height of American men is 5 feet, 9 inches, and the average height of American women is 5 feet, 4 inches.

I was waiting for someone to post those articles or some relevant info.  I heard the same thing in a few college classes and even in the workplace about those seeking GS supervisory roles/Contracting Officers.  The presence and image are important at times.  Whatever though.  

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by beh235

How in the hell did this thread get this far? 5'10" checking in fwiw

somehow it became a post your height thread, such as what you did. With people posting im 5'10 barefoot, or im 6'3.75 in 3 pairs of socks and some air force 1's
instead of actually discussing the topic
I got pressured
laugh.gif
. Nah, just kidding. I guess I wanted to further participate. I was on the first page calling OP a jerk for this thread. Then I realized he was trolling and decided what the hell? Why not. I personally don't think height dictates your lot in life, but some in the thread found ridiculous articles that support that it does. Meh, doesn't bother me either way, I just posted in this thread for entertainment value
laugh.gif

The articles you posted stated that the self-confidence from being tall is what generates the extra income. The height itself isn't a magical salary booster.

"Being tall may boost self-confidence, helping to make a person more successful and also prompting people to ascribe more status and respect to the tall person, Judge said. "
""Tall people tend to act like a leader from a very young age because other children relate to them like a slightly older peer," she said on the radio program. "In the workplace, when you're automatically acting as a leader, that's really important when it comes time for promotion."
"Weak self-esteem and underdeveloped social skills, can negatively affect the image one portrays to co-workers and managers as an adult. A person who lacks confidence is generally seen as less authoritative, and may have a harder time convincing employers of his or her leadership potential. "

I know plenty of goofy/awkward tall people who have 0 leadership abilities and work low end jobs. "In more than a century, no U.S. president has been below average height (the last one was William McKinley, at 5 feet 7 inches, and he was ridiculed in the press as a "little boy," Judge said." A nation of obese pigs being superficial about people's bodies is so damn ironic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FedExciter

Originally Posted by alex onee

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

O rly? Damn bro you must be so far ahead in life
Btw top 3 forbes richest people are under 6 feet. Lolz
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates aint getting no yambs either
Gates and Buffett are both 5'10".  Average height at the worst. 

Furthermore, were talking about the general public, not geniuses and the wealthiest people on earth.  I suppose you read my statement and assumed that I believe worlds tallest man = worlds richest man.

Originally Posted by SFC415

The articles you posted stated that the self-confidence from being tall is what generates the extra income. The height itself isn't a magical salary booster.

"Being tall may boost self-confidence, helping to make a person more successful and also prompting people to ascribe more status and respect to the tall person, Judge said. "
""Tall people tend to act like a leader from a very young age because other children relate to them like a slightly older peer," she said on the radio program. "In the workplace, when you're automatically acting as a leader, that's really important when it comes time for promotion."
"Weak self-esteem and underdeveloped social skills, can negatively affect the image one portrays to co-workers and managers as an adult. A person who lacks confidence is generally seen as less authoritative, and may have a harder time convincing employers of his or her leadership potential. "

I know plenty of goofy/awkward tall people who have 0 leadership abilities and work low end jobs. "In more than a century, no U.S. president has been below average height (the last one was William McKinley, at 5 feet 7 inches, and he was ridiculed in the press as a "little boy," Judge said." A nation of obese pigs being superficial about people's bodies is so damn ironic
laugh.gif

Perception is reality.

You're right, theres plenty of big dumb tall people who are just duds.  We're speaking generally here, and if the self esteem as a result of your height makes you perform better in an interview where all else is equal, then you have a better chance of landing that job.

I'm not 6'5" so I have no reason to defend tall folk. I'm just under 6'... All I'm saying is that there are plenty of studies that suggest height IS a factor.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by JPEG
thats ridiculous...
they put a ****** next to a Mike Golic look alike...

how many guys are that damb short? come on famb...
Yeah that dude was a mega manlet but if you take an average height person at 5'10 and line him up next to a 6'2 dude you'll get the same effect.

Yes, because all of the 5'5" Chinese and Indian Computer Scientists and 5'8" Jewish lawyers and Investment Bankers are having such a hard time find good paying salaries...

Come on, b. Those studies could be flipped a million different ways. You have a lot of short, nutritionally deprived immigrants from 3rd world nations with a history of exploitation or "aboriginies" (in the case of the Australian study) that can drag that study down. Not to mention that the global economy is dramatically shifting to more of a meritocratic/entrepreneurial based system.

Then there are studies saying that short people live longer, wouldn't that give them a greater opportunity to earn more over their longer lifespan?

At the end of that day stuff is irrelevant, if you're a grown man and don't know that by now...I don't know what to tell you.

Has your 5'11" frame made you rich?

Cats are sounding like male blondes, its not becoming.

Back
Top Bottom