What Does It Take To Gain Fans NKETLK

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

1. get a co-sign
2. have a ridiculously creative video
3. do a %+@$ load of shows

and i'm not even *!+$$$#*@#+%. that's how it's been working as of late.
the tyler the creator approach huh? lol

1. get a co-sign

While sounds easy, it doesn't work like that. A co-sign is awesome, but isn't necessary imo and definitely not easy to come by. Besides, if you grind on your own, people of higher prestige will see your work, and the co-signs will come eventually.
A ridiculously creative video, while a great idea and very useful for any artist let alone an up and coming artist, cost money…a lot of it. A lot of these artist out here are either coming out of pocket to pay for videos to be done, or have these "relationships" with these video directors. (Seen it out here plenty of times. Nothing wrong with it, just stating.) So yeah, if you have the resources most definitely go about getting videos done, that's a huge step. but they aren't that necessary either imo, in the beginning of one's career at least. Especially if your fanbase is little, who's going to watch it? How are you going to get it on blogs and stuff without paying a publicist? (A lot of artist do this, more money being spent right there.) So now, unless you've established a relationship with these directors and stuff, you've spend hundreds and sometimes event thousands of dollars on music videos that more than likely no one is watching. This is just imo.

And as far as shows are concerned, they also are great to have in your corner. Albeit kind of hard to book consistent ones for a new and upcoming act, (Assuming there are no managers, or publicist who are doing the booking for you, which you would pay for. More money right there.) it still can get done. 

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

1. get a co-sign

While sounds easy, it doesn't work like that. A co-sign is awesome, but isn't necessary imo and definitely not easy to come by. Besides, if you grind on your own, people of higher prestige will see your work, and the co-signs will come eventually.
A ridiculously creative video, while a great idea and very useful for any artist let alone an up and coming artist, cost money…a lot of it. A lot of these artist out here are either coming out of pocket to pay for videos to be done, or have these "relationships" with these video directors. (Seen it out here plenty of times. Nothing wrong with it, just stating.) So yeah, if you have the resources most definitely go about getting videos done, that's a huge step. but they aren't that necessary either imo, in the beginning of one's career at least. Especially if your fanbase is little, who's going to watch it? How are you going to get it on blogs and stuff without paying a publicist? (A lot of artist do this, more money being spent right there.) So now, unless you've established a relationship with these directors and stuff, you've spend hundreds and sometimes event thousands of dollars on music videos that more than likely no one is watching. This is just imo.

And as far as shows are concerned, they also are great to have in your corner. Albeit kind of hard to book consistent ones for a new and upcoming act, (Assuming there are no managers, or publicist who are doing the booking for you, which you would pay for. More money right there.) it still can get done. 
you proved a good point...if you not tryna spend no money...give up now. 

1. get a co-sign

you proved a good point...if you not tryna spend no money...give up now

You HAVE to be willing to invest in yourself. When you get to that point your're good money as long as you have some decent material. Too many people are afraid to put up their own money because they make failure an option. If you have an "I will not lose" attitude odds are you won't lose because you're willing to do whatever to get to where you wanna be. Some people are too reserved and/or too patient. You can't wait for anybody to give you anything in life, let alone music.

Where you from? You sound like a mix between Red Cafe and 2chainz(with Wayne and Jeezy adlibs). Not two rappers I really mess with.  But the tape isnt bad but nothing crazy/outstanding.  Keep doing your thing.  So many ppl tryna do the same as you, including myself. Rome wasnt built in a day.  Keep working.

P.S that DBZ skit was mad funny. Caught me off guard. "The balls are inert." 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

you proved a good point...if you not tryna spend no money...give up now

You HAVE to be willing to invest in yourself. When you get to that point your're good money as long as you have some decent material. Too many people are afraid to put up their own money because they make failure an option. If you have an "I will not lose" attitude odds are you won't lose because you're willing to do whatever to get to where you wanna be. Some people are too reserved and/or too patient. You can't wait for anybody to give you anything in life, let alone music.
Pow, couldn't have said that any better myself. If you truly believe in your talent and ability, it's not necessarily spending money, its more so of you investing in yourself just as you said. I'm starting to get in the business of managing artist and I this is exactly what I try to explain. 
I was once told that "For the right amount of money, you can buy a career, and even superstardom" and I'm starting to see that everyday. Besides, if you look at your finances, you probably spend money on trivial things anyway. Why not invest in your career? You only live once, forget it, go for it. Hell, if you have to find a job to support your dream. Do whatever it takes, but find a way to invest in your dream.

A team is important as well, you can't be investing in something if you're wack (Not saying OP is wack at all, the mixtape is nice, its playable) . And if your team isn't calling you on your wackness, well then your efforts will be futile and you will be just setting yourself up for a bigger downfall in the long run. 

Originally Posted by sirtalkalot718

Where you from? You sound like a mix between Red Cafe and 2chainz(with Wayne and Jeezy adlibs). Not two rappers I really mess with.  But the tape isnt bad but nothing crazy/outstanding.  Keep doing your thing.  So many ppl tryna do the same as you, including myself. Rome wasnt built in a day.  Keep working.

P.S that DBZ skit was mad funny. Caught me off guard. "The balls are inert." 
roll.gif

I'm from Memphis TN try to keep to my roots but I grew up listening to Jadakiss, Dipset, and mainly 3 6 Mafia. Thx bro for the feed back brother.

1. get a co-sign

Dude you're on point with this information you're right on a lot to I did do a low budget video lol it was more of a lil B style video I was going for no scripts or draw boards just film randomly and put it together. Another reason I posted my art on NikeTalk wasn't just for fans but networking. 
A friend that browses this site a lot told me there are some people on here that have connections I don't expected to run into them right off back but in due time I sure I can bump into a couple of people that is connected. I've stated earlier in this post that I know money is necessary but not 

present as of now I've spent tons of money on music from the equipment to taking out loans to learn how to engineer I kind of thought at that point I would get a break through but life happens and you got to expect the unexpected so I kind of ran into a brick wall in LA and had to move 

back to the south. I was getting a lot of shows done out there but also coming out of my pocket. The thing is now basically I'm taking another approach to this music trying to build a fan base via internet I know it sounds ridiculous but honestly majority of the world is now on the internet 

billions of people and that number is rising. Find loyal fans and people that are willing to listen to new things is hard where I stay because basically they only want to listen to trap music as I stated earlier. I'm not afraid of investing but I'm currently in debt from that loan I took out. Therefore,

I'm kind of stuck in a bad position but I looking for advice from all. Also, if some people wouldn't mind just help spread the word I mean a buzz can be generated anywhere as long as there are enough people to help start the epidemic. This mixtape is just new stuff I recently did I've got now 

over possibly 400 songs and counting and over 5000 beats so all I really need is people to listen I don't care to be a millionare I just want to make a decent amount of cash flow where I can survive on my own doing shows, producing, and w/e involves music. 

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Have some sampled beats and you'll gain nt'ers.
Get Lex Luger and you'll have some southern support

http://www.datpiff.com/The-Gr8-The-Gr8-iBeats-Vol1-mixtape.194601.html
http://www.datpiff.com/The-Gr8-*uck-Dat-*hit-Mane-mixtape.227104.html change the first * to a F and the second * to a S

http://www.datpiff.com/The-Gr8-Spontaneous-Fist-Of-Fury-mixtape.272761.html

http://www.datpiff.com/mixtapes-search.php?criteria=broken+la+familia+wings&x=0&y=0

http://www.datpiff.com/The-Gr8--Im-Wack-mixtape.248079.html

This is some of the things I released this year.

Originally Posted by alexanderthegr8

1. get a co-sign

Dude you're on point with this information you're right on a lot to I did do a low budget video lol it was more of a lil B style video I was going for no scripts or draw boards just film randomly and put it together. Another reason I posted my art on NikeTalk wasn't just for fans but networking. 
A friend that browses this site a lot told me there are some people on here that have connections I don't expected to run into them right off back but in due time I sure I can bump into a couple of people that is connected. I've stated earlier in this post that I know money is necessary but not 

present as of now I've spent tons of money on music from the equipment to taking out loans to learn how to engineer I kind of thought at that point I would get a break through but life happens and you got to expect the unexpected so I kind of ran into a brick wall in LA and had to move 

back to the south. I was getting a lot of shows done out there but also coming out of my pocket. The thing is now basically I'm taking another approach to this music trying to build a fan base via internet I know it sounds ridiculous but honestly majority of the world is now on the internet 

billions of people and that number is rising. Find loyal fans and people that are willing to listen to new things is hard where I stay because basically they only want to listen to trap music as I stated earlier. I'm not afraid of investing but I'm currently in debt from that loan I took out. Therefore,

I'm kind of stuck in a bad position but I looking for advice from all. Also, if some people wouldn't mind just help spread the word I mean a buzz can be generated anywhere as long as there are enough people to help start the epidemic. This mixtape is just new stuff I recently did I've got now 

over possibly 400 songs and counting and over 5000 beats so all I really need is people to listen I don't care to be a millionare I just want to make a decent amount of cash flow where I can survive on my own doing shows, producing, and w/e involves music. 
For up and coming artist, the last thing you want to do is put out a Lil B type of video. For one, you never know who might take a chance and watch your video, and for two as a new artist, every bit of representation of your work, and brand, is pivotal. From the music, to the artwork, to how you act on social media, everything is vital and you have to carry yourself as an established artist on all outlets, especially videos. No video is better than a poor video, because as a new artist, when someone takes a chance to check out your work, that could be the last time they ever check out ANYTHING with your name on it, depending on how bad (or good) the work is. 
Also, promoting your work, and knowing how much work of yourself to put out is an underrated skill, and is imperative towards getting people to listen to your music. 

As far as spending money, spend it, and spend it wisely. Knowing what to purchase is important. Being in debt, it happens. Drake was far in debt, and he's doing fine. J. Cole is still in debt right now. Not saying your the next Drake and J. Cole, but it happens. I've been told by people in the industry that "When you spend money wisely, the more money you spend, the less chance you have for failure." 

Originally Posted by FullTech

stay working on your music, focus on quality more than quantity

you don't want to over-saturate crap if it doesn't sound good

start to get booked for shows at local clubs and it helps a lot if you can get a manager that you can depend on

one of my friends back home that started rapping this year, he's doing well.

if you want this music as much or more than any rapper out right now, you really have to put your full focus on it.

Great response I've had experience doing shows in LA but ever since I've moved back to Memphis it's kind of been slow since they don't have as many venues as a larger city I was once in a beat battle that was rigged I got exposure but, due to the fact that it was made for a certain person to win it was basically pointless.
I went to a recording engineer school that taught me how to have good quality mixes but, things such as Big Ben word clocks, AD to DA converters, Neuaman U-47/U-87, Pro tools HD, and SSL consoles require cash so it's very hard to expect superior quality from someone who's cash is inadequate.

Not to say it's impossible to have a good sounding mix but I could go all day on that note which I'm not. 

As far as performing that is what I'm trying to build towards I don't want to be rich just make a living off of something I love and have a good number of loyal fans.

That way if I do have a show I will not have to pay for play.

Have you tried collab'ing with fellow NT'ers? If not, start talking to local artists in your area. They're both great source of networking. I hope all this works out for you, man.

stay working on your music, focus on quality more than quantity

you don't want to over-saturate crap if it doesn't sound good

start to get booked for shows at local clubs and it helps a lot if you can get a manager that you can depend on

one of my friends back home that started rapping this year, he's doing well.

if you want this music as much or more than any rapper out right now, you really have to put your full focus on it.

Great response I've had experience doing shows in LA but ever since I've moved back to Memphis it's kind of been slow since they don't have as many venues as a larger city I was once in a beat battle that was rigged I got exposure but, due to the fact that it was made for a certain person to win it was basically pointless.
I went to a recording engineer school that taught me how to have good quality mixes but, things such as Big Ben word clocks, AD to DA converters, Neuaman U-47/U-87, Pro tools HD, and SSL consoles require cash so it's very hard to expect superior quality from someone who's cash is inadequate.

Not to say it's impossible to have a good sounding mix but I could go all day on that note which I'm not. 

As far as performing that is what I'm trying to build towards I don't want to be rich just make a living off of something I love and have a good number of loyal fans.

That way if I do have a show I will not have to pay for play.

Have you tried collab'ing with fellow NT'ers? If not, start talking to local artists in your area. They're both great source of networking. I hope all this works out for you, man.
Naw I haven't tried to collab with NTer's yet but I've fooled with a lot of people in memphis just trying to expand you know but I will collab with NT'ers.

Its 10 percent music...have a game plan and invest in yourself...every dollar you can put into your future you better do it cause there is someone 20 steps ahead of you who's 100 times wacker than you but understands what it takes and is willing by any means to get ahead

Back
Top Bottom