What if America's best atheletes played soccer?

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

if they go 1 on 1? in soccer? how u do that?

please tell me youre not that stupid. Covering someone during a corner kick, matching them in speed down the field (yes, the guys i posted are fast if not faster, look it up),�attempting�to simply take the ball away? Im highly convinced you have not seen a soccer ball in person with these questions you ask�
laugh.gif

or even recreational soccer

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

please tell me youre not that stupid. Covering someone during a corner kick, matching them in speed down the field (yes, the guys i posted are fast if not faster, look it up),�attempting�to simply take the ball away? Im highly convinced you have not seen a soccer ball in person with these questions you ask�
laugh.gif

dont nfl cornerbacks cover the fastest men in sports at a much faster speed? 

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And soccer would continue not giving a damn about you not watching it while being loved by the remaining 90% of the world. Don't you worry, soccer won't have sleepless nights from these kinds of statements and the laughing emoticons that follow it.

It continues to amaze me how sensitive soccer enthusiasts are when others say this dislike their sport.  Its like someone is talking about your son or something.

Originally Posted by dland24

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And soccer would continue not giving a damn about you not watching it while being loved by the remaining 90% of the world. Don't you worry, soccer won't have sleepless nights from these kinds of statements and the laughing emoticons that follow it.

It continues to amaze me how sensitive soccer enthusiasts are when others say this dislike their sport.  Its like someone is talking about your son or something.

well soccer players are the softest athletes in sports, only makes sense their fans are too
wink.gif

laugh.gif

Don't they cover people who run designed routes they had weeks to study prior to doing so, and have safety help over the top if needed? 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have no problem with people disliking soccer, i dont like nascar but it amazes me how ignorant some people can be. Its like their son tried to play soccer and didnt make the team or something

laugh.gif

Don't they cover people who run designed routes they had weeks to study prior to doing so, and have safety help over the top if needed? 
cmon man.
laugh.gif
. not matter how well prepared they dont exactly where there going, even so, speed  isnt needed?
so ur saying u put a corner in front of a soccer player with the ball and hes just going to go right by him and the nfl player wouldnt be able to match his speed?

cmon man.
laugh.gif
. not matter how well prepared they dont exactly where there going, even so, speed  isnt needed?

How often do corners play one on one? how often do they zone? how often do they double cover? and when they do play one on one, how often do they make the play? They dont know where they are going, which is why corners most of the time play 5 yards off their receivers which you dont do in soccer 
laugh.gif

so ur saying u put a corner in front of a soccer player with the ball and hes just going to go right by him and the nfl player wouldnt be able to match his speed?

He wont take the damn ball away thats for sure 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Or maybe it's just soccer haters that are too eager to express their hate in every post that deals the sport and the possibility that it might get big in the U.S. It's like their son got killed by a soccer ball to the face or something.

Or maybe it's just soccer haters that are too eager to express their hate in every post that deals the sport and the possibility that it might get big in the U.S. It's like their son got killed by a soccer ball to the face or something.

No.  Why dont you just look at what transpired to get YOU to write that smart %$+ remark about soccer not caring about people who didnt like soccer.  All dude said was he would continue not to watch it, and you got all defensive.  There was no hating which prompted you to make that comment.  Period.

well soccer players are the softest athletes in sports, only makes sense their fans are
Actually it's the opposite. People who don't like or understand soccer seem to get off on bashing it all the time. Why waste so much energy on something you don't care about? Never understood that...

Originally Posted by socluis90

well soccer players are the softest athletes in sports, only makes sense their fans are
Actually it's the opposite. People who don't like or understand soccer seem to get off on bashing it all the time. Why waste so much energy on something you don't care about? Never understood that...
Its not the opposite.  It was just ryanbbn who is bashing it in here.  What xtra responded to was one person saying he wouldnt watch it.  Thats it.  Clear example of getting defensive over nothing, not getting defensive over someone bashing the sport. 

Originally Posted by socluis90

Its not the opposite.  It was just ryanbbn who is bashing it in here.  What xtra responded to was one person saying he wouldnt watch it.  Thats it.  Clear example of getting defensive over nothing, not getting defensive over someone bashing the sport. 
Not really talking about this thread, more in general. I see it on ESPN message boards all the time whenever there is a soccer story on the main page. Regular posters just go in and talk %$!+ on the comments section about how soccer sucks etc. I dislike golf, tennis, and nascar but I just ignore the stories/threads when I see them. Maybe its an inferiority complex so it just happens to be the most popular sport in the world. Who knows...

No.  Why dont you just look at what transpired to get YOU to write that smart #*% remark about soccer not caring about people who didnt like soccer.  All dude said was he would continue not to watch it, and you got all defensive.  There was no hating which prompted you to make that comment.  Period.

And all I pointed out is that soccer will remain by far the world's most popular sport whether he watches it or not. His statement was way closer to hate than mine was to "sensitivity".

By the way, for you dudes talking about basketball/football players being good at soccer...
Back in HS I was 5'8 135 and I was able to perfectly defend/take away from 6'4, 220+ dudes who played on my HS bball/football teams. Not because I was a beast or anything, but they weren't able to utilize their speed/"athleticism" to control the ball at all. They weren't able to comprehend the fact that you can't just sprint down the field at 100% speed WHILE keeping the ball close to you 
laugh.gif

How big/muscular you are has almost NOTHING to do with how good you are at soccer (unless you're a defender). Many of the worlds best players are like 5'6 135, you don't think they regularly go against defenders who are MUCH bigger than them? Most defenders, at least central, are big as @#$%

'

Why Kansas City?
laugh.gif
Shocked the attention !+@@%@ (Galaxy/NY) didn't try to get him to show up there.

It seems like alot of you are arguing 2 different things.

1. There is one side that thinks the U.S. could produce great soccer players if that was the U.S. #1 sport and people like LeBron, Kobe, Vick, etc...started playing the game at an early age.

2. There is another group that is saying you could stick LeBron on a soccer field right now and he would fine.

I agree with point 1, not point 2 though.

You have to remember alot of the American athletes pick certain sports because of the money making potential. If soccer was the highest money maker over here, and was more visible, more athletes would stick with the sport thus producing better soccer players. If you dont think the U.S. could produce better soccer players then you are kidding yourself.

And did one dude really say soccer players are the best athletes on the planet? They have some of the top athletes, but not everyone is. Just like the NBA, they have some of the best athletes, but Brian Cardinal isnt one of them...

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

It seems like alot of you are arguing 2 different things.

1. There is one side that thinks the U.S. could produce great soccer players if that was the U.S. #1 sport and people like LeBron, Kobe, Vick, etc...started playing the game at an early age.

2. There is another group that is saying you could stick LeBron on a soccer field right now and he would fine.

I agree with point 1, not point 2 though.

You have to remember alot of the American athletes pick certain sports because of the money making potential. If soccer was the highest money maker over here, and was more visible, more athletes would stick with the sport thus producing better soccer players. If you dont think the U.S. could produce better soccer players then you are kidding yourself.

And did one dude really say soccer players are the best athletes on the planet? They have some of the top athletes, but not everyone is. Just like the NBA, they have some of the best athletes, but Brian Cardinal isnt one of them...
I agree for the most part, and i think the last part was directed at my earlier post, and yeah i didn't try to say it like that, i simply said since there is more exposure to soccer around the world, that if the roles were reversed, and football and basketball was popular world we would still see your "typical chris johnsons, and lebrons". I dont see any sport dominate and claim they have the "greatest athletes" in the planet, which some people here obviously think so looking back and seeing

if america's best athletes all went through similar young-age training that other countries do, there is no doubt that we would be at the top.

ppl are stupid going too hypothetical tho.

this is based on pure athleticism, and if countries like brazil or spain can do it, theres no way that americans could.

same thing goes for tennis as well.

its funny because we can arguably have the best club soccer league in the world with the money and thirst for sports our country has. the champions league would be forced to include north american teams and it would be crazy seeing teams like LA Galaxy and NY Red Bulls going deep in the champions league with at least some homegrown talent on each team

i think theres no doubting that if soccer were the sport our best athletes played we would definitely produce world class defenders with athleticism, height, and speed, and at least 1 world class CDM that can dominate the air in midfield. i also believe we'd be able to produce a rich mans peter crouch with height and physical tools to be a hit man in the box and footwork. as far as skill positions that require vision+imagination in the attacking midfield and supporting striker, its anyones guess. my guess is we'd have a team on the level of brazil, spain, etc.

you can call it typical american arrogance if you want but i call it common sense. with our population size, how highly we prioritize athletics, the economic advantages we have (even kids of poor families can afford to play sports and have coaches if they're good.) And we produce the greatest athletes PERIOD.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

its funny because we can arguably have the best club soccer league in the world with the money and thirst for sports our country has. the champions league would be forced to include north american teams and it would be crazy seeing teams like LA Galaxy and NY Red Bulls going deep in the champions league with at least some homegrown talent on each team

i think theres no doubting that if soccer were the sport our best athletes played we would definitely produce world class defenders with athleticism, height, and speed, and at least 1 world class CDM that can dominate the air in midfield. i also believe we'd be able to produce a rich mans peter crouch with height and physical tools to be a hit man in the box and footwork. as far as skill positions that require vision+imagination in the attacking midfield and supporting striker, its anyones guess. my guess is we'd have a team on the level of brazil, spain, etc.

you can call it typical american arrogance if you want but i call it common sense. with our population size, how highly we prioritize athletics, the economic advantages we have (even kids of poor families can afford to play sports and have coaches if they're good.) And we produce the greatest athletes PERIOD.

as mentioned before, i think the main problem with the US and soccer is that there isn't really a "culture". maybe now we're starting to see one...but for example, in Argentina soccer is part of Argentine life. You grow up playing soccer, watching soccer, following a team, talking about soccer, etc.

It's just already engrained into that culture. there are soccer fields EVERYWHERE in other countries. in the US they are pretty hard to come by and you probably have to join a league in order to be able to play. in other countries at any given time and place in the world there is a pick-up soccer game going on.

Back
Top Bottom