What is the PC laptop equivalent to a Mac in terms of style/performance?

The only thing mac got going is their operating system and looks. Actually window 7 is pretty solid so mac might only have a slight edge in the OS department.I wouldn't complain about macs if they put better gpus in their macbook pro. A nvidia 9400 mobile does not justify the price tag.

i wouldnt recommend a dell. i know two people with a dell laptop and one with a dell netbook and they all run really, really hot.

so unless you like to burn a whole thru your legs or anywhere else you set it, it wouldnt recommend dell.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

The only thing mac got going is their operating system and looks. Actually window 7 is pretty solid so mac might only have a slight edge in the OS department. I wouldn't complain about macs if they put better gpus in their macbook pro. A nvidia 9400 mobile does not justify the price tag.
this. i have a custom built PC and a MBP. before windows 7 dropped i would almost NEVER touch my PC. ever since it has, i almost prefer working onit. only used my MBP when i wasn't at home. hell, i even have windows 7 on my mac. what it comes down to is the OS and MS might have finally fixed vista.

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

i wouldnt recommend a dell. i know two people with a dell laptop and one with a dell netbook and they all run really, really hot.

so unless you like to burn a whole thru your legs or anywhere else you set it, it wouldnt recommend dell.
if heat is an issue, don't go anywhere near a mac. things burn hot at hell. i hate have my MBP on my lap because of that very reason. iappreciate the aesthetics of macs, but apple needs to find a better way to cool these systems. especially if they plan on using i7 processors in the future

blah!

Heat will always be an issue with laptops. But when it comes to heat hp and compaqs are the worse. They stay overheating. High performing laptops will alwaysrun hot because discrete vid cards run hot especially if you have a beast in the system.

Not an equivalent, but "better than" if you're in school or working (except on music/video of course).

Lenovo X200 Tablet

Lighter than a MBP
Tablet functionality is absolutely ridiculous.
Magnesium alloy shell
Fingerprint reader (though I never use mine)
Integrated camera
Heat is not an issue

There are downsides, though:

No CD drive
Battery sticks out (but the computer width (from the front of the computer to the back where the battery is) is no longer than a 15MBP's)
WINDOWS VISTA (can't wait until 10/22)

For the record, I was about to get a MBP before I came across this. Nonetheless, I still like Macs as well.

With that being said, tablet PCs are the future. It's only a matter of time before Apple integrates this functionality into their computers.

Originally Posted by theconditioner

I'm not patient either.
roll.gif

pimp.gif

50336718.png

It's not the PC that's the problem, it's the OS. Windows is trash and probably will be forever. They have no reason to change...

Not an equivalent, but "better than" if you're in school or working (except on music/video of course).

Lenovo X200 Tablet

Lighter than a MBP
Magnesium alloy shell
Integrated camera
Heat is not an issue

No CD drive
Battery sticks out (but the computer width (from the front of the computer to the back where the battery is) is no longer than a 15MBP's)

For the record, I was about to get a MBP before I came across this. Nonetheless, I still like Macs as well.

With that being said, tablet PCs are the future. It's only a matter of time before Apple integrates this functionality into their computers.

lenovos are really solid PCs...but they are UGLY as sin. but if looks don't matter (which, they shouldn't) i'd definitely go for a lenovo overdell, hp, samsung, sony, asus etc etc

Lenovo X200 Tablet

Lighter than a MBP
Magnesium alloy shell
Integrated camera
Heat is not an issue

No CD drive

pimp.gif
I got one of these babies

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Dell has some good laptops. Mac's are too overpriced for what little they can do.
I bought a Dell and my friend has a Mac I can't tell you how many problems he's encountered and how many times he's has his laptopgetting fixed. And mine has all the video editing programs and photoshop/illustrator so it is used very often and don't have any problems. Plus the newDells have blu-ray players.

BgL2687,

Thank you for your support of Windows 7! Have you pre-ordered your copy of Win 7 yet? If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it maybe helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Also, if you are currently a student you may qualify for the $30 upgrade to Windows 7. For more information, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/m7nyxa

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

your username...that Microsoft representative... tryna boost sales huh

got em. hopefully she will learn, NT is ruthless.

but if you were a student with vista, i would recommending hitting her up asap.
or get the free windows 7 upgrade if you are in the market for a computer right now.

New Dells and the 15" Envy look nice. I'd wait till Late November/December though.

New MBP has odd issues that shouldn't even exist in such an expensive shell. They also still tend to overheat due to fan issues even after the patch
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by JessicaD

BgL2687,

Thank you for your support of Windows 7! Have you pre-ordered your copy of Win 7 yet? If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Also, if you are currently a student you may qualify for the $30 upgrade to Windows 7. For more information, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/m7nyxa

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
laugh.gif

But on a serious note, I purchased the $30 upgrade, when I upgrade will there be an option for all my files to be carried over to W7 from Vista? Or will theyall get deleted?

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

laugh.gif

But on a serious note, I purchased the $30 upgrade, when I upgrade will there be an option for all my files to be carried over to W7 from Vista? Or will they all get deleted?

If it is anything like upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro, then no, all of your files should be intact, but it is a PC, you never know.
grin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by knightngale

performance is not a problem

but a white windows laptop is rare and tacky
the hps and sony look nice.

sony is really trying to aesthetically bite macs.

This post made me want to Google the HP Envy... did HP even pay anybody for this design? It looks to be 90% identical to the new MBs!

HP-Envy.jpg

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

laugh.gif

But on a serious note, I purchased the $30 upgrade, when I upgrade will there be an option for all my files to be carried over to W7 from Vista? Or will they
all get deleted?

If it is anything like upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro, then no, all of your files should be intact, but it is a PC, you never know.
grin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Wow you making it sound like dudes at Microsoft live in caves and swing clubs.

Mastamind89 If you're upgrading the files will stay intact. If you want a clean install from lets say 32-bit(x86) Vista to 32-bit W7 allyour old files/programs/etc. will be put in a folder named "Windows.old."

If you're upgrading from 32-bit(x86) Vista to 64-bit(x64) Windows 7 you'll need to reformat(wipe the entire HDD clean) to install.

Originally Posted by OnlySomeJordans

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

laugh.gif

But on a serious note, I purchased the $30 upgrade, when I upgrade will there be an option for all my files to be carried over to W7 from Vista? Or will they
all get deleted?

grin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Wow you making it sound like dudes at Microsoft live in caves and swing clubs.

Mastamind89 If you're upgrading the files will stay intact. If you want a clean install from lets say 32-bit(x86) Vista to 32-bit W7 all your old files/programs/etc. will be put in a folder named "Windows.old."

If you're upgrading from 32-bit(x86) Vista to 64-bit(x64) Windows 7 you'll need to reformat(wipe the entire HDD clean) to install.
Thank you, it's gonna be a 32-bit to a 32-bit so I guess I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom