What was your overall college GPA......And did it matter later on?

Ok so I have my co-workers binder of ALL the lesson content printed for both ACQ101 and 202. I could literally click through the lessons and then answer the 4-8 question chapter tests within 3 attempts to pass the course just by looking through this binder. Or I could read all the content and actually try to comprehend then take the test. Is it really that important I have a thorough understanding of this stuff? I feel like it's just for the sake of having the certification and anything I need to know for my job/desk audit I will learn THROUGH MY JOB without this. What do you think? Skim and shop for answers? Or thoroughly read and comprehend? :nerd:

I had the same train of thought as you when I started back in 2009 taking DAU classes. I like to actually start and finish things and give a thorough effort, but with these...honestly you learn a lot more on the job and the level I courses are just a lot of general information and specifics that might not mean anything to you at the time depending on how your agency operates or what your job requires you to handle.

Focus on holding down your job duties/responsibilities and skim and click through the DAU courses and search for the answers. I know we used to be able to save the slides to a huge PDF file and just ctrl + f search for buzz words in the questions for the tests. Now once you go to in class trainings and courses like CON 120 or CON 90 that take a few weeks, those you can pay more attention to.

My job never asked about my GPA nor any transcripts. I have also had offers from other companies which also never asked for any of that info.

2.998. Good thing most applications only allow you to fill up to the hundredth spot.

Did it matter? During college, yes, I was unable to get many jobs that required a certain GPA. After college, I want to say yes, but only to a certain degree. My work experience during college definitely put me over the top for my first job. The GPA then kicked in when I applied to graduate school. Most graduate schools expect a 3.2-3.5. Don't know how strict they are on a cutoff.

I'm around a 3 after my freshman year, like to be more towards 3.4 or 3.5.

It seems like some jobs require a certain GPA, while others don't even mention it.

I hear most people say that your GPA doesn't really matter when it comes to applying for jobs.

Obviously I know it matters if you are aiming for medical school or a graduate program, but what about in the real world?

I'm going to graduate this year with around a 3.6

Why would you say it doesn't matter? Unless you're like Ladanian Thomilson or Adrian Peterson, of course your GPA matters. It's used to distinguish one from another. Say, a majority of the applicants are 3.5, and you have a 3.6. You'll definitely stand out in a positive way. A GPA is like a timestamp, and you definitely want the highest possible. I rather carry on w/ a 3.6 GPA, than a 2.6, whereby I have to CONVINCE people I've been better.

Had a 2.6 and got into grad school...
*shrugs*
nthat.gif

I would say that is pretty accurate. GPA will probably matter for the first job though.
I'm willing to bet that more of those "people who you need to know" will take notice if you have better GPAs though.
I wouldn't doubt that!

Knowing people is also helpful. Getting involved in certain programs can definitely help as well. Showing how well rounded you are helps as well.

Basically, I'm just saying that GPA isn't everything 
glasses.gif

GPA matters if you're trying to get hired by top firms such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, McKinsey, and other private top tier firms in your respective field of study. Bullish jobs will settle for bullish GPAs. Work hard play hard man. The school you attend can also play a big role in getting your foot in the door.

Back
Top Bottom