What words not to say on your resume...... LONG READ

Resumes are all fluff/exaggeration for the most part :smh: i guess people stretch the truth in order to sell themselves.

Resumes are all fluff/exaggeration for the most part :smh: i guess people stretch the truth in order to sell themselves.

That's what it's all about though. You gotta sell yourself, if you don't believe in yourself, will the prospective employer?

Just because it's an article on yahoo, doesn't mean its the gospel truth. I'm in a Writing and Speaking for Business class and every template I've seen has an objective line, but none have the reference one. Take what Yahoo says into consideration, but i'm learning that there is no one correct way to write a resume.

Just because it's an article on yahoo, doesn't mean its the gospel truth. I'm in a Writing and Speaking for Business class and every template I've seen has an objective line, but none have the reference one. Take what Yahoo says into consideration, but i'm learning that there is no one correct way to write a resume.

This!

I work in recruiting and I see/hear it all. My number one tip is MAKE IT LOOK GOOD. If I open it and see a lot of clutter, I won't bother reading it. Keep it short, simple, and to the point. People can tell when you're bs'ing your job duties and nothing annoys me more than a busboy telling me he picked up plates and refilled waters, or a secretary telling me she picked up the phones and greeted customers. Don't state the obvious. Instead, talk about how bussing tables helped you learn time management skills and how to prioritize tasks. Talk about how being a secretary allowed you to grow you personal communication skills and multitask etc. Every job has something valuable you can learn from it so mention it.

If you get called for an interview, your interview has begun! Act professional on the phone with excitement and energy. Ask questions and show interest beforehand. I've called people to ask if they were interested in interviewing and they never bothered asking me for directions or a phone number. I've had people answer just "yes" and "no" to questions I ask over the phone. Make sure you research every company you apply for and have a question or comment ready for them should they call. It'll make you look good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom