What year did you really start using the internet and when did you think was the prime?

For me I started really in 1995 when I had my first pc with connected to an ISP. Remembered using Alta Vista search engine first before yahoo.

I think 1999-early 2000s was the best time of the internet most fun to me. It was the wild west era, 1999 had birthed Napster, Xanga and LiveJournal. I was in the whole camming/blogging scene after getting a webcam in the early 2000s, remember I cammed a good amount with this girl in Montreal that ran her own website posting her day to day activities with scheduled webcam shots etc., her site actually at 1 time had the most hits before the Ashton Vons and Tila Tequila types came about on the internet.

Internet Speeds are superior today but it was less regulation then. The AOL and Yahoo Chatrooms were also more fun imo than these social media platforms today, chicks in the chatrooms didn't have the big blown up heads from that many thirsty dudes yet from the photoshop/filters/angles situation today. Internet forums were also more fun at that time before Reddit came and became the Walmart of forums and shut down all the mom and pops.

The only things that I think of that's better now is we have streaming content now due to the superior internet speeds, and also convenience of shopping since E-Commerce was a lot different then, so many ppl were scared to shop online still due to being frauded, talking before paypal and paypal really started being used and people mailing money orders and not getting anything return and nowhere to file chargeback

about 96 with netscape navigator, those aol cds, blue light i think, the days of web crawler? dogpile, lycos, angelfire Juno internet

i think you had to try a couple of times to “connect” to the net
:lol:56k and getting heated when ever a phone call was coming thru or if someone picked up your landline because if u downloaded something you would have to start over.

the early days of dsl were costly for the speed, iirc $30-40 for 3 mbps or 5

I can't recall the year, but whenever AOL was via disc, MSN was the go-to before Google was ever a thing, and Ebaumsworld was the **** :lol: .

Does anyone remember a site that hosted random playable games. Game Cafe or some ****? Infinite reps if you're able to remember.

Started using the net in '98 while in H.S. Finally got it at home in '99. AOL chatrooms all day. Through those chatrooms is where I started getting MP3's. Dudes be hosting, had to ask for the playlist, go through the playlist and see what's good, request songs, then download each song at that 56k speed.

I didn't even have AOL so when they opened up AIM to non Aol users that was a really big thing to finally get an aim SN

user-262370.jpg

Back in 03-04. We finally got Cable/DSL and I had Limewire on the desktop equipped with a CD burner. Dudes in school would sell CD's with select songs. I came in and started selling CD's as well, but I made my fellow classmates give me a list of ANY song they wanted and I'd put it on the CD.

Then in 05 I made a killing off making Nextel ringtones.

Good times :lol:

mid 90s when Netscape was bawse. we haven't even hit the PRIME....is this a serious question?? we're still centralized and don't own anything we put out....wait for next 5-10yrs.

1997 - Was on the net heavy at work but didn't get my own home computer and internet till late 2000 (Gateway with less storage than my iphone).

Reminds me of when I messed with this girl who used to get on AOL and flirt with dudes on messenger while was sitting right there in the room. Yeah she was a hoar on and offline.

Really started using the Internet my soph. year of high school. eBay and NT. Browsed using the libraries "high speed" Internet because my parents only had dial up at the house.
At least for me the prime of the Internet was from my high school years through college.

Anyone else remember ICQ? It was the other messenger platform besides AIM that I mainly used with Aussies and non Americans, MSN Messenger too

I remember icq. MSN was big up here, we didn't really use AIM

Been on the internet since I was in the 6th grade playing Neopets and hitting in girls on Xanga. The regular internet changed for me after Facebook let kids join and YouTube became super popular.

I believe it was back in 00-01. That first day after installed I OD on looking up cheat codes. Young life :pimp:

5th .. '98 Netscape Navigator at school. We barely got like 5-10 online after school. And only 1 classroom had internet.

We didnt get a home computer w/internet til late '00 and i could only use it night. Id sneak and get a quick 20 min after school.

The prime was of course when AIM, yahoo chat, limewire, etc were boomin

I remember in 2nd period my freshman year id hop on MTV's chatrooms while i worked

Back
Top Bottom