What year/model did JB...........

In what year or model # did JB switch it's manufacturer to China? And is this when the quality started to go south, or was it before?

not sure about the date but i have to say it IS when the quality started to be crappy

Originally Posted by MethRer1A

I think my 23's have good quality

I think that most of the new release siganture shoes have had good quality. I guess the question is when did the retor models start to have crap quality. Itlooks like sthebest1984 answered that with the2003 VIII. Is this the general consesus?

alien.gif

Originally Posted by sthebest1984

13's.

But that quality started going downsouth in 03. As I recall, the White Cement IIIs was one of the last retros to have pretty decent quality. The White/Red VIII that came 2 months after had paint chipping and creasing issues.
2 months is way too close to call the difference, we've all seen our shares of heavily chipped cement III's, and i've seen a lot ofreally clean VIII's from then. the quality dropped for sure, but it's not like someone flipped a switch and changed it in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by ToMa630

i believe it was the 13s

IIRC, they started splitting production of individual models between China and Taiwan at around that point.

As for quality... It seems to me that the decline started around then. The toebox leather on the og XIII seemed disappointingly thin to me at the time,
and the dye on the white colroways didn't seem to hold up very well either.

Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

13's.

But that quality started going downsouth in 03. As I recall, the White Cement IIIs was one of the last retros to have pretty decent quality. The White/Red VIII that came 2 months after had paint chipping and creasing issues.
2 months is way too close to call the difference, we've all seen our shares of heavily chipped cement III's, and i've seen a lot of really clean VIII's from then. the quality dropped for sure, but it's not like someone flipped a switch and changed it in a few weeks.

I am not trying to start anything, but I somewhat diasagree with this statment. I think the quality could change on a dime. If one of JB's managementobjectives was to start using cheaper materials to drive cost down, then a shoe could be produced today with the end of stock of quality materials, and thenanother shoe built tomorrow with cheap, bad quality materials. It all depends on when JB management made the decision to start making these things withcheaper costs to them.

That being said, it looks like that is not how it happened. I wans't really into Jordans at that time, so I really do not know when the quality wentsouth. Was it a gradual decline? Was the quality on retro shoes just before the IV's in '06 as bad as the quality that the Military and Mars IV'shad in '06?

Originally Posted by 9 deuce gt

Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

13's.

2 months is way too close to call the difference, we've all seen our shares of heavily chipped cement III's, and i've seen a lot of really clean VIII's from then. the quality dropped for sure, but it's not like someone flipped a switch and changed it in a few weeks.

I am not trying to start anything, but I somewhat diasagree with this statment. I think the quality could change on a dime. If one of JB's management objectives was to start using cheaper materials to drive cost down, then a shoe could be produced today with the end of stock of quality materials, and then another shoe built tomorrow with cheap, bad quality materials. It all depends on when JB management made the decision to start making these things with cheaper costs to them.

That being said, it looks like that is not how it happened. I wans't really into Jordans at that time, so I really do not know when the quality went south. Was it a gradual decline? Was the quality on retro shoes just before the IV's in '06 as bad as the quality that the Military and Mars IV's had in '06?

but then some shoes like the 4 may have been produced partly with nice and partly with bad materials, explaing how some are crappy and others are good quality

Back
Top Bottom