What's the consensus on the "packages"?

I haven't posted here for a while and was wondering what the consensus feeling around here is about the "packages" marketing. My opinion? I'monly interested in "classic" Jordans, which for me is I throught XIII, so i see it as a way for Nike to force me to buy a shoe i don't want (likea XVIII) to get one i do want (like a IV).

Thus, i wish they'd go back to selling the early retro Jordans singly, by themselves, like they will do with the Is coming up.

They're getting away with selling one not so wanted shoe and one great shoe in the packages. They couldve done a better job with the packs and they knowit.

Originally Posted by Props to the King

I haven't posted here for a while and was wondering what the consensus feeling around here is about the "packages" marketing. My opinion? I'm only interested in "classic" Jordans, which for me is I throught XIII, so i see it as a way for Nike to force me to buy a shoe i don't want (like a XVIII) to get one i do want (like a IV).

Thus, i wish they'd go back to selling the early retro Jordans singly, by themselves, like they will do with the Is coming up.
Well... I see your point about one shoe being hotter than other shoe but I dont think jb looked at it that way. Yah there's the 9\14 package whichIMO only sold cause of the 9s but theres other package which both shoes are sik! Like the 7/16...11/12...6/17... In your case since you like classics through13s then 13/10... I dont think that was jb idea to make us buy shoes we dont like it just worked out that way. If those 2s came out the original colorway andthe 21s were the red suede that would of sold like crazy...i think some packs could be heat if they have better colorways... Just my opinion in this topic.

i don't like the packages at all, so far i havn't bought any, and if any i'll only get the 11/12 or something.. they're too much and for themajority of people you're getting one shoe you like, one you dont

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

i don't like the packages at all, so far i havn't bought any, and if any i'll only get the 11/12 or something.. they're too much and for the majority of people you're getting one shoe you like, one you dont

Same with me: i haven't bought any packages, but i WOULD have bought some of those early retro jordans if they'd been sold by themselves. So in mycase, Nike/JB has lost sales they otherwise would have had.
Of course it's their business to know the economics of it so maybe on balance they aremaking more off others than they are losing off me.
frown.gif

Like many others, for most of the packs, I like one pair so it prevents me from buying. But for the few packs I do like, the quality isn't looking to good.If the quality was good then I wouldn't be worry about the colors too much. Then I could at least sell the other pair if needed.

you would be surprised how many packs are just sitting on shelves in stores, the 9/14 was a joke, 2/21 was decent, but the others are trash, 7/16???? come onnow!!!! the only good packs are the 10/13, 11/12, 8/15, and i am sure that all these will get screwed with before release date.....overall FAILURE!!!!

I hate it. I don't want 2 pairs of shoes, the only pack I'm buying is for the 11s. Jordan failed hard on this one, trying to force people to buy 2pairs, people aren't buying any instead.

it really comes down to money, id rather spend money on one pair that i really want then spend double the money and get a pair i dont want. it would be nice ifjb made the packs AND single release but just somehow make the packs more special like the dmp's.

Originally Posted by Props to the King

I haven't posted here for a while and was wondering what the consensus feeling around here is about the "packages" marketing. My opinion? I'm only interested in "classic" Jordans, which for me is I throught XIII, so i see it as a way for Nike to force me to buy a shoe i don't want (like a XVIII) to get one i do want (like a IV).

hmmmmmmm...........i see your point but not to point out the obvious or anything and idk how good my math is but last time i checked 18+4=22

the packs suck period. ive thought that since the idea's inception and theyve proved me right with every pack so far

i don't mind the packs. they make it easier to convince the missus into letting me get a bunch of shoes i've never had along with replacing my twofave's (VI + XI) that have died since original release.

love the 2/XX1. both shoes are hot as. and i've wanted pairs for a while. looking forward to my first pair of XII's and XVII's.

BUT, the CDP's completely oversaturate the market and i see this as the beginning of the end of jb. But then again, at year's end, i'll have allthe shoes i want so i couldn't give a toss what happens to the brand.

I personally like the thought behind the countdown packs... The issue is that after the XIV's, JB drastically stop producing bulls colorway shoes for theremaining series.... And the majority of the shoes that were bulls colorways were either half decent or horrible... And the majority of the most wantedcolorways has either been retroed lately or too soon to re-release. So now they are forced to produce colorways and are failing horribly..... Not because theyare bad, but because they are not traditional (og) colorways.... IMO if the CDP 14's, 18's, 21's were released as original colorways then theywouldnt be flammed so much..... So now we are forced to buy an hot orignal colorway (1-13) and a not so hot remake (14-22) except the 16's...... Butthat's just my own opinion.....

I kinda agree with the guy with the bad math. If you look at the packs, with the exception of say my fave 3, XVI+VII, XVII+VI, and the XI+XII, Nike isessentially forcing you to buy a shoe most of us wouldn't. The X's were a decent sell, but nowhere near as good as the XIII, I know for a fact Ihaven't seen or heard of any lines or urgency to buy the latest package of the II and XXI in neither Cleveland nor Columbus, Ohio, which were bothextremely soft sellers at time of release and as retros. These packs are gonna end up fizzling themselves out and Mark my words, before 2008 Closes, we willsee a slough of packs moving at the tune of 250 and possibly even 230 at large chain retailers... There is already a large degree of price resistance amongstconsumers that already buy large amounts of nike merchandise to invest in a low quality 310 Package. So yeah, I think in the coming months, the Packages willsuffer the same fate as all lukewarm retros do and that is Sales racks. I'm not saying we are going to have the backlash of the XIV, or the recent XI LEbut I do believe there will be some pissed of people that bought 310 packs and will witness a drop of 50 bucks or more....CHURCH

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

buy what you like, pass on the rest

ummm... kinda hard when JB bundles "what I like" with something that I would ordinarily pass on...

packs are wack.

A majority of the young kids that gave the money or their parents money are eating up each pack. The people that are in it for the legacy and the nostalgicaspect seem to be a little disappointed with the execution of each pack. As mentioned a Jordan that pleases the majority is packed with one that disappoints.Packs overall seem to be available in most places 2-3 weeks after release in a pretty decent size run, just like Jordans used to be. No one seems to be liningup just yet, but of course we haven't hit the "big" numbers yet. Let's ask this question post AJIV, V, VI, and XI packs release haha.

Originally Posted by SickKickGAME23

I kinda agree with the guy with the bad math. If you look at the packs, with the exception of say my fave 3, XVI+VII, XVII+VI, and the XI+XII, Nike is essentially forcing you to buy a shoe most of us wouldn't. The X's were a decent sell, but nowhere near as good as the XIII, I know for a fact I haven't seen or heard of any lines or urgency to buy the latest package of the II and XXI in neither Cleveland nor Columbus, Ohio, which were both extremely soft sellers at time of release and as retros. These packs are gonna end up fizzling themselves out and Mark my words, before 2008 Closes, we will see a slough of packs moving at the tune of 250 and possibly even 230 at large chain retailers... There is already a large degree of price resistance amongst consumers that already buy large amounts of nike merchandise to invest in a low quality 310 Package. So yeah, I think in the coming months, the Packages will suffer the same fate as all lukewarm retros do and that is Sales racks. I'm not saying we are going to have the backlash of the XIV, or the recent XI LE but I do believe there will be some pissed of people that bought 310 packs and will witness a drop of 50 bucks or more....CHURCH

Agreed. I'm in Columbus and there's no "rush on the bank" for some of these packs. I purchased the 9/14 pack cause I liked both shoes. Not so much with the 10/13 pack (hated the 10s) or the 2/21 pack (hate the 21s and the colorway for the 2s is boring). Conceptually, the idea was great topackage (2) pairs of Jordans whose edition #s equal 23. In reality, though, there aren't enough people who love all 23 editions of Air Jordans or are socrazy that they'd buy em all whether they like them or not.

With the exception of that dude in the Gentry Mobile thread!
roll.gif
roll.gif

Having said the above, I agree with topnotchflip that the best packs (or should I say the packs with the most coveted shoes) haven't come out yet. Thepacks with the IVs, Vs, VIs, and VIIs will not have the same problems selling IMO.

Back
Top Bottom