whats the point of saying IMO

cz7

Who else's opinion would you be saying

its like when people say "well thats just your opinion". Well duh.

it makes people feel better about saying mean things

for example

your a dummy

or

in my opinion your a dummy

also it helps uneducated people. it makes it simpler for them to differentiate fact from opinion

well it takes away some of the negativeness of comments...

like "your girl is ugly"

or

"your girl is ugly imo"

which one sounds nicer?

People say imo because they're not confident in what they type or the points they make... so they qualify it with imo.

That way.. you can't challenge their idea because it's "just" their opinion.

Cowards.

Its just iuno kinda reminds me when people say well me,personally. Or how people say im going to revert back to... Revert means to go back to.

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

it makes people feel better about saying mean things

for example

your a dummy

or

in my opinion your a dummy

also it helps uneducated people. it makes it simpler for them to differentiate fact from opinion

Nah, you know what REALLY makes people feel better about saying mean things?

"No offense"

I mean come on. Lets face facts. "No offense" basically means 'this is a pass for me to insult the ever-loving crap outta you without me comingoff like a jerk'.

...which is precisely why i never say 'no offense'.
laugh.gif

it seperates what ur saying instead of just going with the mass opinion....

Originally Posted by MECKS

but if what saying goes against against the mass opinion,isnt that enough?

Originally Posted by MECKS

This.

Imo, it makes sense if you're going against the majority.

Also, "no offense", seems like it can work if you're saying sometihng someone doesn't want to hear, but you feel they should.

But I do agree that people take both phrases out of context and use them incorrectly.

I kinda figured it meant that its how you feel, but youre acknowledging that its not fact. like saying Jay-z is better than Nas. if you leave it that way itcan be taken that you view that as fact. if you add imo, it says that you acknowledge others feelings on it, but you personally believe that Jay is better thanNas.

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

I kinda figured it meant that its how you feel, but youre acknowledging that its not fact. like saying Jay-z is better than Nas. if you leave it that way it can be taken that you view that as fact. if you add imo, it says that you acknowledge others feelings on it, but you personally believe that Jay is better than Nas.

still useless, anytime you say something like Jayz is better than Nas its never going to be a fact because it is an opinion, and of course other people thinkdifferently.

Now if you say something Jay-z is taller than Nas, thats a fact. haha kinda tight about this I guess

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

I kinda figured it meant that its how you feel, but youre acknowledging that its not fact. like saying Jay-z is better than Nas. if you leave it that way it can be taken that you view that as fact. if you add imo, it says that you acknowledge others feelings on it, but you personally believe that Jay is better than Nas.

still useless, anytime you say something like Jayz is better than Nas its never going to be a fact because it is an opinion, and of course other people think differently.

Now if you say something Jay-z is taller than Nas, thats a fact. haha kinda tight about this I guess

its said to quell people wanting to argue. if I say Jay is better than Nas, its open ended and ready for debate/argument.
if you add the IMO to it, it closes it off, and ends the possibility of debate/arguing

To me, it's only necessary for those too dense to realize without a reminder that you are actually just giving your opinion, and not setting in orderanything forever and all time.

Unfortunately, there are A LOT of those people out there, and nearly all of them have access to the interwebz.

Lie, if I say Paul Pierce is a crybaby and a fraudulent Finals MVP, I really shouldn't have to remind anyone that I have only given MY opinion. By mesaying my opinion of Pierce, it hasn't been etched in stone for all eternity for everyone to know from here on out that he is, indeed, a crybaby. Nope.That didn't happen. Adding 'IMO' at the end of saying that is necessary for some people who forget that, lie it calms them down, backs them off theledge, reminds them that the painful 'fact' they just heard really isn't a fact at all, and it's just one guy's opinion, which means...nothing.

And since THAT response will most likely be taken offensively by some of those people who will otherwise be IRATE at this description of them being etched instone for all of earth's remaining days, I feel the need to remind you serious 'netters:

That's just my opinion on why it's so necessary to say 'IMO'.

laugh.gif

*waits for the gif of the guy's head exploding*

Back
Top Bottom