What's the worst financial decision you've ever made?

idk if it counts as a "financial decision" but......

quitting my job last summer before having another job locked down. i thought id find another job in my career field easily, seeing on how i have a degree and a couple years experience. but NOPE!!! i went almost 4 months without a job and blew through my savings (close to 10k) because i had the mentality that i would find another job quick. so i spent money like i still had money coming in, and when that ran out, i used my credit card
mean.gif

luckily, i got through it and was still never late on any bills.

life lesson #14: never assume you have everything figured out

Ain't the biggest wast of my money but I bought a couple Gucci polos a few years back that I still ain't wear yet ...money just down the drain :lol: :smh:

And I always hate when I save money up then spend it on dumb **** smh

Blowing my law suit money in College :smh:
When I was 13, I spent three weekends mowing lawns for $50 bucks. I went and blew the money on a $50 Charizard card. I instantly regretted it :smh:

How much did you get from the lawsuit? And what happened to you?

Opening my first phone carrier under my name, without understanding what leasing meant.
Placed someone under my service, few months later, he left the country and took the phone
Was stuck paying the full bill, couldn't pay it off.... contract got terminated.

Was stuck paying the unpaid balance plus the two phones. Since I couldn't pay it off, I was sent to collection and that totally affected my credit score badly.

Buying an LV polo that I wore once.

Buying LV belt and wallet.

Spending money on high-end clothing to only be worn worn a few times.

Buying bottles and spending a ton of money on drinks at clubs in late teens/early 20s.

BMW and Mercedes car notes early in my 20s.

Shooting up the wrong chic's club

2015 Kia Optima Hybrid EX with every upgrade for 35k + my orange 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix w 195kmiles

Buying my current car. Moved into a so so neighborhood now my car is all kinds of messed up.. well at least it's almost paid off

Last edited:
Buying my current car. I owe 20k on it. Which is a little more than it's worth. It was such a stupid snap decision though

2015 Kia Optima Hybrid EX with every upgrade for 35k
FINALLY the Kia shows up.

/thread
I also bought a 99 Blazer for $640 that the driver door wouldn't shut. Ended up selling it a few days later for only $40 lost though after realizing it'd be more trouble than I was bout the life to deal with
roll.gif
I wanna hear more about your financial decisions.
I swear that thread he made about getting rid of the kia and getting a new car had me on the floor gasping for air

easily one of the best threads of 2016

Lost 400$ in some hyip thing like 10 years ago. Only could put 400 max cause account didnt let me so thats a good thing. I knew it was very risky but i wanted to get in before it crashed.

Some manulife investment crap where i lost like 5 or 10k or something. It was like a 10 year plan where you probably only see profits after year 9 or 10. I had insurance with it so that money was just in the red. I was young, careless with my money and my godmother needed the referalls. Cut it off after the 5 year no penalty fee.

Bought a brand new civic. Should have gotten a used car. I was a ***** and didnt want to deal with work asking why i cant come in faster if i had to go research so much on a used car rather than just buying a new one real quick. Stupid.

I have spent way too much on food and alcohol throughout my life. Last year spent about 9k on both together.

Casually played roulette online. Made 40 bucks into 900 very very slowly throughout a week. I seriously thought i found a bug that i was exploiting lol. Few bad hands and lost it all. Lost 40 here and there thinking it could happen again. That was a tease. But now i know it was just very lucky i got up that high.

Buying my current car. I owe 20k on it. Which is a little more than it's worth. It was such a stupid snap decision though

Year and model? I'm car shopping at the moment.

2011 Subaru WRX
Man, I was just considering an WRX or a Lancer. I know there's a good chance I'll regret the decision, though.

How's maintinence been with it?

No maintenance at all, I've been driving it problem free for over 2 years now. Love it to death but I really didn't need it. I'm gonna be broke as hell when I'm paying my student loans off

Yeah, I'm kind of in a similar situation to when you bought the car, I'd imagine. I'm looking to start really saving for a down payment on a house, not sure if I should invest in a used WRX or Evo. Only looking to spend like 15k max though, so it may be tough.

Spend money frivolously on sneakers. During 2004-2008, I purchased a bunch of sneakers because I wanted it. I was buying almost one sneaker a week, but I was not generating the income I needed to buy them. So just like many naive individuals, I put it on my credit card.

2008 rolls around and I am out of a job. With literally $3,000 in the bank, I struggle to make ends meet as I go a year being unemployed. At that point, I decided to look at my finances to try and figure out where my money went. It was a bit shocking to discover I spent somewhere in the range of $25k on sneakers.

Almost 10 years later, I look back and can't believe how much money I spent. I definitely learned from my experience and learned to manage my finances accordingly.

I mentioned consolidating my CC debt, but the worst financial decision I've ever made was activiating the $3000 limit card with a 25% APR.
mean.gif

Live and learn, but it's so easy to fall behind. Wish I could have learned the lesson without amassing almost $8000 of debt. Live and you learn, though.

Not saving money. Last year I got laid off after starting a new job. Jobless for 5 months

Job i had before that I was making decent bread. Idk how i didn't save money

Back
Top Bottom