When did "rape" become acceptable sneaker culture termanology?

i find terms like 'rape' '******ed' 'gay' pretty interesting in regards to who decides to use them and in which context.
i'm not one to generalize, but it's safe to say that the majority of the people that use these terms are, like myself, young, 'healthy' men.
i hear people use those terms loosely all the time and its usually said types.
i think that often times the type of people that get offended by them are or have been directly/indirectly affected by them i.e. someone that's been raped or knows someone that has, someone that is gay or knows someone that is, etc.

i'm not trying to justify the use of these terms, since i tend to shy away from using them myself, but if used in the right context, like when you're around your friends or something, then i suppose its not too bad.
i've found myself saying 'dude you just got raped in halo' or 'that's pretty gay' at times, but i'm not about to call anything gay when there's a gay person around or saying something is ******ed when there's a mentally incapacitated person in the room. it just depends on the context..

with that said, i can understand why someone would be offended by it, and its often times justifiable since alot of dudes tend to be pretty insensitive, but i feel like alot of dudes in here are exaggerating a bit.

How can any of you seriously say that it's just a word?

So what if it's become normal in some circles (yours?)?

That doesn't make it okay. Holocaust is a word. So is cancer. But they mean a lot more than that to many people - and they should mean more to any human being. It may not directly affect you but you cannot argue at all that the meaning of those words should be diminished by them being slang for something of little consequence.

Doesn't matter that it's 2013 and how far society hs progressed (although I'm not sure that the last 50 years have added much to humanity) we should be above using these terms by now - not accepting of them.

I agree with the context side of this argument.

Saying rape as in these are rape prices, that's not going to hurt anyone's feels. And you know that. Saying "I just rape trained all these zombies" while playing cod doesn't hurt anyone's feels either.

When rape actually has meaning behind it, as in if I said it, and then I sexually assaulted someone. Then it would be used in the bad manner.

But it's a term a lot of people say, like when people say gay when they mean bad. You can't stop them, just don't join them and set an example.

This is not a democracy. It is not up for discussion. If your vocabulary is so limited that you cannot enjoy this message board
without using the word rape in that context, then you have bigger fish to fry.

A long time ago I also made a thread saying I did not like the word ******ed to describe someone/something stupid. The very first reply was "thats ******ed". We all know that the direction a thread takes is dictated by the first post, so end well it did not. I

I consider myself far from sensitive. But no matter how you slice it its just not appropriate. Rape and mental illness is serious and should not be trivialized.

I don't see Jews going nuts when someone says nuclear holocaust. Or when spike lee said slavery was a holocaust

Context brah.

Definition of HOLOCAUST

1: a sacrifice consumed by fire
2: a thorough destruction involving extensive loss of life especially through fire
3: a often capitalized : the mass slaughter of European civilians and especially Jews by the Nazis during World War II —usually used with the
b : a mass slaughter of people; especially : genocide

http:// 3: a often capitalized : t...er of people; especially : genocide [/quote][/quote]

hate these over sensitive people.

Rape has so many definitions and variations it's a stupid ******g word to begin with.

you say the word and people get more sensitive than charmin tissue. meanwhile we don't know if someone was violently forced, got drunk and regrets something, was underage and the offender was a mere 2 age year different apart, etc.....

do we here the same fools crying when someone says "man we got killed in the last game" because you know murder is a real life, horrible act, with blood, and a loss of life.
eyes.gif

It is prominent in the competitive gaming world and I don't mind it one bit.
Over sensitive. Right.

I'm just addressing the misuse of a word and the context. I don't think its an appropriate term outside of the actual situation. If that makes me sensitive, so be it. Your vocabulary is that limited that you can't think of another word?

Last edited:
Over sensitive. Right.

I'm just addressing the misuse of a word and the context. I don't think its an appropriate term outside of the actual situation. If that makes me sensitive, so be it. Your vocabulary is that limited that you can't think of another word?

So have you ever used the word murder or kill outside it's actual definition?

So if "rape" had a meaning under the sexual one that said "often times referred to in an adverse situation, for example price gouging". That would be okay?

It's arbitrary.

I've known a couple people that were murdered. If someone says "Man, the Lakers got murdered last night", it's not like I'm going be like "Oh, don't say that, it's offensive. My friend was murdered". I know the context and it's really not even closely related.

So if "rape" had a meaning under the sexual one that said "often times referred to in an adverse situation, for example price gouging". That would be okay?

It's arbitrary.
doesn't really make sense to harp on "if"

the example you gave doesn't really hold up

because the word holocaust is not exclusive to the mass killings of jewish people

Last edited:
doesn't really make sense to harp on "if rape had a second meaning" it means, what it means.  The point you were trying to make doesn't apply

because the word holocaust is not exclusive to the mass killings of jewish people
Rape -

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.

3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

Definition 3 is definitely close to the way people use the term that supposedly is offensive. Now I would agree that's just because it's in the dictionary, doesn't mean it's not offensive, but let's not act like there aren't other valid meanings to the word.

Last edited:
^which is why i reworded my first response, but we all know that the colloquial use of the word is derived from the first definition

we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place if it weren't

Last edited:
words and definitions change with time.

the dictionary adds words from life and life pulls words from the dictionary.

^which is why i reworded my first response, but we all know that the colloquial use of the word is derived from the first definition
we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place if it weren't

It has 3 different meanings, and the 3rd one made it relevant,

"A rape of justice"

At this point it really is context.

Man these companies are raping has prices, is completely different than, my sister just got raped by an escaped criminal.

And the context is usually clear.

I don't even use rape in my daily vocabulary, but this is just :smh:

but why would there be a need to disallow it's use here on these boards if it was expressly understood that we're talking about the third definition?

but why would there be a need to disallow it's use here on these boards if it was expressly understood that we're talking about the third definition?

I wouldn't even say it's banned anymore. It may be written down as banned, but it's still used just as often. Like people saying **** @&%# or any other random combination to imply a cuss word.

It's in the title, and I've said it at least 20 times in this thread. I haven't had a post deleted or received a warning.

The new part of the definition is relatively new itself, it's always been there its just recently been made official, making the rule against it outdated.

Rape, as in forced sexual intercourse is a terrible tragedy. It crosses my mind often, but who is really rustled by the use of the word rape in a completely different way? I've only seen a handful of people.

Like it was said earlier, it's just like saying murder out of context. Murder is an equal if not worse crime and tragedy compared to rape yet we use it so casually. It's the same exact thing, yet that isn't banned?

It's arbitrary.

No, dude. You missed my point. My point was Jews don't own the rights to the word 'holocaust.' 'Nuclear Holocaust' isn't offensive because it isn't comparing the destruction of mankind to the killing of Jews.

Back
Top Bottom