When will hip hop/rap return back to its thuggish/hood/hardcore gangsta street violent aggressive ro

This is the most disturbing part of your post...

when i was growing up listening to 80-90's rappers.....I wanted to be like them....i thought they were cool....i related to them..dress like them...act like them....pac, kool g rap, ice cube, eazy e...

You're right... kids in Chicago should look up to Chief Keef and the rest of his crowd. Sell drugs, get face tats and if someone disagrees with you, shoot 'em. ****

In addition to that, he's in favor of rappers actually sacrificing the quality of their music for negative subject matter.

:lol: at OP typing "thuggy." Never seen that used before.

In addition to that, he's in favor of rappers actually sacrificing the quality of their music for negative subject matter.
laugh.gif
at OP typing "thuggy." Never seen that used before.
whats your opinion on kool g rap?

Last edited:
Random question. Do you guys think the 2008 recession had something to do with the type of rap being produced today? I noticed a lot of the radio hits are songs bragging about how much wealth and material goods the rapper has. I feel like earlier music focused on the path to becoming rich or the hustle, but now its about being at the top. Someone at my work called it "luxury rap". I think its something the rap groups like MMG, YMCMB and GOOD share. In actuality to me they all make the same music. DO you guys think because a lot of people are struggling, they view this type of music as a fantasy, an inspiration or something along those lines?

But so im not completely off-topic, there are still rappers who focus on street issues. Pusha T, CyHi Da Prince, Jay Rock and Slaughterhouse are a few of the rappers I still listen too that are more street oriented

^^Lot of these dudes are flexin and stuntin the way they do, because of the grind.

MF'ers get lost in the grind, and struggle trying to get paid for their art, so when it actually starts coming in, you get used to the lifestyle and want more.

And sometimes that will come at the cost of watered hip hop music.

But as far as OP is concerned, just understand that the world is constantly changing and music will too.

But if you wanna hear some real music:

And an artist by the name of Chadd Downing from Trenton, NJ got some street ****, but its some real hip hop stuff as well, very organic music

http://www.datpiff.com/Chadd-Downing-PMFL-mixtape.370802.html

I think by the time a rapper "makes it" or inks a deal with a major, he is so detached from dat life, that its not even worth rapping about unless you want to come off as fake or a poser. I mean, how are you gonna schedule your drug dealings and drive-bys around your tours and jimmy kimmel cameos? The days of rappers like Big L are long gone brah.

Last edited:
I like the diversity in music today... Cudi & a lot of other names listened are for certain moods. Im glad everything doesn't sound the same & I can go & check out certain artists based on how im feeling.

As far as a 90's feel, Joey BAD***** defeintely comes through.

TDE brings a straight "hip-hop" feel as well.

Ignorant music in the club>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cause i know for a fact im not tryna be in the club listening to no conscious music i save that for my own time

ya digg

Sometimes people get tired of ignorant **** that doesn't apply to most people's lives. Variety isn't a bad thing.

I was listening to that new Sean Price in my car with my lil brother and he asked me "Who listens to rap like this anymore?" :smh:

Those are not it's roots though.

If you're asking if that "sound" will return to prominence as it once was, well, it's possible.

It's all cyclical.

Conscious rap >>>>>>>>>>

I don't wanna see a bunch of dusty ****** on stage not saying ****...I'm starting to feel like Steve Harvey on Original Kings of Comedy.

Now if you're addressing societal issues a la NWA then that's cool...P.E. fine...Dead Prez I'm all for it.

Because they were conscious at the same time rebellious...but to be thuggish with no agenda is pointless.

Dudes talking about killing their own but they don't want to kill the root cause of injustice.

How ignorant is that?
100% Truth.

I was listening to that new Sean Price in my car with my lil brother and he asked me "Who listens to rap like this anymore?" :smh:

I would've probably strangled my little bro (if i had one) right there, cause I just copped that the other day :lol: :smh:

Somebody else already mentioned it doesn't have to be dope dealing, robbing, gun-talk all the time, but I like my fair share of everything. I play Juicy J as much as Ghostface Killah, Max B as much as MURS, etc. I think the main problem is that mainstream wise in rap/hip hop, there's no balance at all. There's a constant barrage of 1 thing, almost to the point to where it feels like mind control. So once you beat a certain group (which appears to be the majority) over the head with pop-rap pop-rap pop-rap, throwing something different to them is like getting out a hot shower and getting dumped in the Arctic Ocean. They'll reject it cause it's almost conditioned to happen that way.

Rap/hip hop from the late 80's all the way up til like 06/07 on a mainstream/radio level had multiple options. There was literally something for everybody and it was being pushed in a fairly balanced way. You didn't have to deep to look for it or feel like you're out the loop with stuff. Since then, it's been YM, MMG, Jay, Kanye, Eminem, Jeezy and T.I, with a handful of other guys chiming in every once in awhile (Plies, Gucci, etc) . So you really have a handful of big fish in a puddle, when not too long ago that puddle was an ocean. I could probably talk about this all day, but it's damn near depressing doing so. I will say that I blame major record companies consolidating and trying to become monopolies, and the artists themselves.

I think the main problem is that mainstream wise in rap/hip hop, there's no balance at all. There's a constant barrage of 1 thing, almost to the point to where it feels like mind control. So once you beat a certain group (which appears to be the majority) over the head with pop-rap pop-rap pop-rap, throwing something different to them is like getting out a hot shower and getting dumped in the Arctic Ocean. They'll reject it cause it's almost conditioned to happen that way.
Rap/hip hop from the late 80's all the way up til like 06/07 on a mainstream/radio level had multiple options. There was literally something for everybody and it was being pushed in a fairly balanced way. You didn't have to deep to look for it or feel like you're out the loop with stuff. Since then, it's been YM, MMG, Jay, Kanye, Eminem, Jeezy and T.I, with a handful of other guys chiming in every once in awhile (Plies, Gucci, etc) . So you really have a handful of big fish in a puddle, when not too long ago that puddle was an ocean. I could probably talk about this all day, but it's damn near depressing doing so. I will say that I blame major record companies consolidating and trying to become monopolies, and the artists themselves.
"radio programing is just that" ~ Saul Williams

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OP failed SO much though.... I wish I coulda seen what his face looked like when he was typing the thread... then what it looked like AFTER the first reponse

Conscious rap >>>>>>>>>>
I don't wanna see a bunch of dusty ****** on stage not saying ****...I'm starting to feel like Steve Harvey on Original Kings of Comedy.
Now if you're addressing societal issues a la NWA then that's cool...P.E. fine...Dead Prez I'm all for it.
Because they were conscious at the same time rebellious...but to be thuggish with no agenda is pointless.
Dudes talking about killing their own but they don't want to kill the root cause of injustice.
How ignorant is that?

sad thing tho is alotta people didn't really listen to NWA... they just know 'straight outta compton' and then that's it. Ice Cube was pretty much the west coast version of PE... he still drops heavily social commentary influenced hip-hop. But again, people take certain songs and blew them up and it kinda overshadowed some of his more deeper messages

If you really knew hip-hop, you'd know that it never left; but I never listened to anything mainstream anyway. Check: Roc Marciano, Ka, Sean Price, Boldy James, Strong Arm Steady, Planet Asia, etc.

MAN THE GOOD OLD DAYS ARE DONE WITH. LOL AT HOW U SAID YOURE THE ODDBALL BEING BLACK LMAO ITS TRUE THOUGH. NOWADAYS THERES A LOT BIGGER AUDIENCE THEN BACK IN THE DAY THOUGH SO MAYBE THERES A DEBATE TO WHETHER RAP IS DEAD 

Back
Top Bottom