Where does Larry Fitzgerald rank in the discussion of top receivers?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by madj55

Originally Posted by brrraptors

steve smith is also one of the toughest WRs in the league. hes also more versatile than most top WRs, his return game is
pimp.gif

Steve isn't even the regular punt or kick returner for the Panthers anymore so he's not as versatile as he used to be in 2003 when he did it all.

How does that make him not versatile? They just choose not to use him on KR/PR....

Being versatile is being able to do a lot of things well and I'm not saying that he can't but since he doesn't return kicks or punts anymorehe's not that versatile anymore he's just a great receiver. Deion Sanders is the definition of versatile because he was great at many different things.

Key word being "able".

He IS able to do all those things, but he just isnt used that way now. Fox not putting him on KR/PR doesnt make him any less versatile than he is.

Top 5 in no order....

Moss
Smith
Andre
Fitz
Wayne

Calvin and Marshall are right on the edge too.

its really hard to give some1 the clear nod over the other with wr's because of so many factors...... I mean fitz and reggie wayne have mvp qb's andare in power pass first offenses so they will have inflated numbers..... While dudes like calvin johnson and andre are basically their entire offense....... Imfrom Houston so i guess im bias watching them every week for the last 3 years.... But I dont know any other wr that is used as much as him on offense..... Thisdude gets 10rec in 1 game like its nothing without a consistent running game or starting qb lol...... Dis dude does short routes and deep ones at a highlevel.. he's not as big of a deep threat as moss, calvin or fitz...... But all around i got to give it to andre cause its almost impossible to keep himunder 100 yards a game lol....

and Smh @ da dude that put reggie wayne over andre too.... u honestly think andre on colts wouldnt be soooooo much more deadly??? payton and andre
sick.gif

Originally Posted by MBen32

andre johnson and fitz would probably be my top 2, after that i would have steve smith, boldin, calvin johnson.
laugh.gif
@ moss not touching your list
grin.gif

roll.gif
that list is a joke for that alone IMO

...and Jerry Rice said, "lolwut?"

Good for him. I dont rank him number one either. He suffers from a lot of the same things Fitz suffers from and I would say he was the most skilled WR ever butnot my number 1. (Rice)

The point is Fitz has some of the best hands in the league runs good routes and is an exceptional WR. But he is not as good a football player as Steve Smithand the guys I would rank ahead of him. Fitz doesnt have game changing ability, he even has less then Jerry Rice did seems to me. Larry is great at his rolebut he has very little versatility. Alot of the guys I would put in front of him can do his role almost as good as him and 15 other things 10 times better.Same with Jerry Rice.

Originally Posted by theone2401

Good for him. I dont rank him number one either. He suffers from a lot of the same things Fitz suffers from and I would say he was the most skilled WR ever but not my number 1. (Rice)

The point is Fitz has some of the best hands in the league runs good routes and is an exceptional WR. But he is not as good a football player as Steve Smith and the guys I would rank ahead of him. Fitz doesnt have game changing ability, he even has less then Jerry Rice did seems to me. Larry is great at his role but he has very little versatility. Alot of the guys I would put in front of him can do his role almost as good as him and 15 other things 10 times better. Same with Jerry Rice.

please tell me what WR you have ranked ahead of Jerry Rice.

And also could you please tell me how you think steve smith is so much better than Fitz, But please name these guys you have above Fitz & name the 15 otherthings they can do 10 times better than him.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Good for him. I dont rank him number one either. He suffers from a lot of the same things Fitz suffers from and I would say he was the most skilled WR ever but not my number 1. (Rice)

The point is Fitz has some of the best hands in the league runs good routes and is an exceptional WR. But he is not as good a football player as Steve Smith and the guys I would rank ahead of him. Fitz doesnt have game changing ability, he even has less then Jerry Rice did seems to me. Larry is great at his role but he has very little versatility. Alot of the guys I would put in front of him can do his role almost as good as him and 15 other things 10 times better. Same with Jerry Rice.

And also could you please tell me how you think steve smith is so much better than Fitz, But please name these guys you have above Fitz & name the 15 other things they can do 10 times better than him.

Its clearly hyperbole.

My point was Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald are great at their roles but limited by their physical ability. I would always pick someone who is not as great attheir role but has exceptional physical ability. That is just how I rank them. If I am running a west coast offense I am going to take Jerry Rice. If I amrunning a vertical offense and have Joe Flacco as my QB? give me Randy Moss any day of the week.

I will always rank Randy Moss as the best receiver I have ever saw in an all time perspective. He could play in any offense and be exceptional. I cant say thesame for Jerry...maybe you can.

And also could you please tell me how you think steve smith is so much better than Fitz, But please name these guys you have above Fitz & name the 15 other things they can do 10 times better than him.
Its clearly hyperbole.

My point was Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald are great at their roles but limited by their physical ability. I would always pick someone who is not as great at their role but has exceptional physical ability. That is just how I rank them. If I am running a west coast offense I am going to take Jerry Rice. If I am running a vertical offense and have Joe Flacco as my QB? give me Randy Moss any day of the week.

So basically what im getting from you is that you would consider the best WR someon who was exceptional physical ability, but his numbers arent asgood as someone who doesnt have the same caliber physical ability but has superior numbers?

Its clearly hyperbole.

My point was Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald are great at their roles but limited by their physical ability. I would always pick someone who is not as great at their role but has exceptional physical ability. That is just how I rank them. If I am running a west coast offense I am going to take Jerry Rice. If I am running a vertical offense and have Joe Flacco as my QB? give me Randy Moss any day of the week.
So basically what im getting from you is that you would consider the best WR someon who was exceptional physical ability, but his numbers arent as good as someone who doesnt have the same caliber physical ability but has superior numbers?

Close...The best WR is the WR that can do the most things great. IMO

Let me explain it this way. If you had to rank Jerry Rice on a number of different things that WR's do there are somethings he would get a 10 in andsomethings he would get low scores in (like being a deep threat) Randy Moss isnt going to get a low rating in ANYTHING because he is more versatile then JerryRice. Not better...but more versatile. And me ranking WR's think that versatility is what makes the best the best. That is just how I rank them.

Its clearly hyperbole.

So basically what im getting from you is that you would consider the best WR someon who was exceptional physical ability, but his numbers arent as good as someone who doesnt have the same caliber physical ability but has superior numbers?
Close...The best WR is the WR that can do the most things great.

Let me explain it this way. If you had to rank Jerry Rice on a number of different things that WR's do there are somethings he would get a 10 in and somethings he would get low scores in (like being a deep threat) Randy Moss isnt going to get a low rating in ANYTHING because he is moreversatile then Jerry Rice. Not better...but more versatile. And me ranking WR's think that versatility is what makes the best the best.

ok. but when ur talking about the top tier of WRs they are all top notch in almost every facet at being a WR. not to mention i dont see how youcan say that randy Moss is more versatile than Jerry Rice. in what way is he more versatile?

Its clearly hyperbole.

Close...The best WR is the WR that can do the most things great.

Let me explain it this way. If you had to rank Jerry Rice on a number of different things that WR's do there are somethings he would get a 10 in and somethings he would get low scores in (like being a deep threat) Randy Moss isnt going to get a low rating in ANYTHING because he is moreversatile then Jerry Rice. Not better...but more versatile. And me ranking WR's think that versatility is what makes the best the best.
ok. but when ur talking about the top tier of WRs they are all top notch in almost every facet at being a WR. not to mention i dont see how you can say that randy Moss is more versatile than Jerry Rice. in what way is he more versatile?

They both have their strengths. But switch their roles who would perform better? I think Randy would. That is why I think he is more versatile.

Steve Smith is just as good in a possession role as he is running deep and hes short. Larry just cannot play on the outside..PERIOD. Steve Smith is 100 timesmore versatile then Larry Fitzgerald there fore I would rank him above him.

Andre Johnson does 99% of what Larry Fitzgerald does and he has game breaking speed = more versatile.

If I wanted someone to catch me a first down..give me Larry and Jerry. If I want someone to win me a football game? Give me Andre and Steve Smith and as aranker I think that is more important.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Everyone is enamoured with what Mittzgerald is doin right now so I understand yall screamin he's the best in the game. I expect that from people who are just so driven by the moment but I wouldnt take him over those 5 I got.

Larry aint beatin No one Deep. (unless its a jump ball)
those 5 I got up there got every route and can beat everyone deep (and they catch jumpballs just as well as him).
Larry got the best hands no doubt, but he aint the best not in my book.

this is definitely the "WR era".

Burress beating somebody deep?
laugh.gif

I agree with Marshall....dude is a monster...seriously.

But no way in sam hell am I putting Burress ahead of Fitzgerald.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Everyone is enamoured with what Mittzgerald is doin right now so I understand yall screamin he's the best in the game. I expect that from people who are just so driven by the moment but I wouldnt take him over those 5 I got.

those 5 I got up there got every route and can beat everyone deep (and they catch jumpballs just as well as him).

laugh.gif

Not from a speed perspective but his skills on a jump ball are head and shoulders about Larry's. Burress is top notch when the ball is in the air. But heseven less versatile then Larry is.

Originally Posted by AG 47

GUNNA GET IT wrote:

Everyone is enamoured with what Mittzgerald is doin right now so I understand yall screamin he's the best in the game. I expect that from people who are
just so driven by the moment but I wouldnt take him over those 5 I got.

laugh.gif

Not from a speed perspective but his skills on a jump ball are head and shoulders about Larry's. Burress is top notch when the ball is in the air. But hes even less versatile then Larry is.

That may be true, but I thought the conversation was about burning people deep....like I'm not seeing that from either WR.

Back
Top Bottom