Where does YAO MING rank in the PANTHEON of great centers to have played in the NBA?

This guy was a complete MONSTER when healthy. One of my favorite players during the mid 2000's along with a young Lebron. That 07-09 Houston Rockets teams were stacked as hell too and should've made a serious run at the 'Chip had injuries not plagued the team.

Hakeem
Shaq
Bill Russell
Wilt
Ewing
Kareem
Admiral
Moses
Walton
Mikan
McAdoo
Nate Thurmond
Artis Gilmore
Willis Reid
Zo
Dikembe
Parish
Dwight

Probably somewhere in the 20-30 range.

very skilled and solid player.

that year with ron artest and them boys :nerd:. i always said, they had the best supporting cast but the stars (tmac and yao) couldnt stay healthy at the same time. a lot of people had the rockets losing to portland in the first rd, but yao set the tone with a dominant gm1 performance.

Hard to believe he's been retired for almost 3 years. Looked up his age and dudes only 32

what irks me is that lin gets all this attention from people that dont even watch basektball n act like yao never existed

I'm a firm believer that you're only as good as your health. Missing games due to injury isn't a free pass. With that said Yao isn't going down as a great in my book. He dominated whiled he played but just flickered out. Word to penny :smh:

Last edited:
An afterthought when talking about great centers, unfortunately, due to injuries.

His very short peak was 23, 10, and 2 blocks, but when that only lasted a few shortened seasons... there's not enough compared to other good/great centers.

Hakeem
Shaq
Bill Russell
Wilt
Ewing
Kareem
Admiral
Moses
Walton
Mikan
McAdoo
Nate Thurmond
Artis Gilmore
Willis Reid
Zo
Dikembe
Parish
Dwight

Wait I hope this is just a general list and you aren't ranking Ewing over Kareem. Also Hakeem as number 1 is :x

Hakeem
Shaq
Bill Russell
Wilt
Ewing
Kareem
Admiral
Moses
Walton
Mikan
McAdoo
Nate Thurmond
Artis Gilmore
Willis Reid
Zo
Dikembe
Parish
Dwight

Wait I hope this is just a general list and you aren't ranking Ewing over Kareem. Also Hakeem as number 1 is :x

I think it could be debated that Hakeem is 1. Not my personal choice as the best but he could do work on anybody on that list.

:lol: where did mmg go :nerd:

had he been healthy, yao could have been a good center in todays league

he had that hookshot, that turnaround, that midrange and that ft%. who wouldnt want that?

he did take like 5 minutes to get up after falling tho :lol:

Last edited:
I think it could be debated that Hakeem is 1. Not my personal choice as the best but he could do work on anybody on that list.

I personally think Hakeem is a bit overrated. He had like 3 awesome seasons and won championships when he playing outstanding. But overall as far as having an impact of the game and his team. Id take Wilt, Russell, Shaq and Kareem over him.

I dont think there's enough on the resume to rank him due to his injury plague. I will say aside from being a great center, he was a great individual as well.

Yao buys Shanghai Sharks
Updated: July 16, 2009, 10:03 AM ET
Reuters

BEIJING -- Houston Rockets center Yao Ming has purchased his financially troubled former club the Shanghai Sharks, Chinese media reported on Thursday.

The seven-time NBA All Star's investment company signed a framework agreement with the club's three co-owners who agreed to sell Yao all their shares in the club, Xinhua news agency said.

"I grew up in the city and became a professional player in this team, so I hope I can do something to help," Yao was quoted as saying on Shanghai TV.

The Sharks tied for the worst deficit in 14 years of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) last year and were in danger of failing to start the new season in November because of their dire finances.

The 28-year-old Yao topped the Forbes list of the wealthiest Chinese entertainers with an estimated income of 388 million yuan ($56.81 million) in 2008.

Running the Sharks will cost about 20 million yuan a year, according to the China Business News newspaper.

"In consideration of Yao's affection for the team, his accomplishments in basketball and the experience and vision he has gained from the seven years in the NBA, we believe he is the most appropriate person to the take over the team," said Shanghai Sports Bureau chief Yu Chen.

Yao started playing for the Sharks as a teenager, leading them to their only CBA title before he left for North America in 2002.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom