Which Processor + RAM combo is better?

Ok. You haven't provided enough info to make a sound judgement.
Obviously the Core I7 is a superior product so go with that. But at the same time when it comes to RAM just because the number of gigs is bigger, it doesn't mean it's better. If you have 8GB at 1833mhz it would run far more effectively than 12GB at 1022Mhz. Always keep in mind what the processing speed is.
Also there is no real reason to buy anything above an I7-920. You can easily overclock it to around 3.2-4 Ghz and still be stable. That'll be more than capapble of handling what you need.
So just keep in mind that more GBs doesn't always mean better performance. Corsair Dominator ftw.

Can Windows 7 use more RAM than XP?

I have 4Gb in my office PC (although XP can only cope with 3Gb - it was only about $10 for the extra Gb and I thought it might be useful if I upgrade) and it flies. I got it last Septemer with a quad-core 2.4 processor.

second option i7 is where it is all labtops and desktops from 2010 and be on  that are windows based will be i7
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by kdawg

I have 4Gb in my office PC (although XP can only cope with 3Gb - it was only about $10 for the extra Gb and I thought it might be useful if I upgrade) and it flies. I got it last Septemer with a quad-core 2.4 processor.

ultimate, professional, enterprise versions of windows 7 allow up to 192GB of Ram

home basic 8gb and home premium 16Gb

I need to find a motherboard compatible w/ the i7mobile processor. As soon as I do x64 Win7 here I come

But OP, I don't see why u askin this. #2 is clearly the better

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Both will probably be more than adequate, the i7 is easily superior but i can guarantee the core 2 quad is a better bang for your buck. I personally wouldn't get an i7 until they came down in price, much like what has happened to the core 2 quad. They'll be close to 1/2 price this time next year.
I'm AMD all the way, but the i7 sounds unmatched when it comes to performance. I dislike intel with a passion, don't know why.
i got a amd x64dual core with 5.5GB of RAM...I'd say the only thing I need is an upgrade from DSL.
besides I don't wanna spoil myself with the latest of technology every time something new comes out.

Originally Posted by kdawg

the question is not a matter of what os supports more ram but what bit it uses.
32 bit is forever limited to 4gb of ram and xp 32bit is limited to 2.8gb, vista is limited to 3.5gb. it doesnt matter how much ram you have installed, it wont be used to its full potential if your software limits it. and on top of that 32 bit applications can only use up to 2gb max.

64 bit extends these limits to almost infinite.

Asus is the most reliable PC brand based on warranty studies and which brand breaks the most.. Just incase you guys didn't know..

But come on...Quad core vs 2 cores...

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Damn, I'm still on my P4 2.8GHZ w/ 2GB of ram :/
Nothing wrong with that if you're just using the pc for internet and videos

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Obviously the Core I7 is a superior product so go with that. But at the same time when it comes to RAM just because the number of gigs is bigger, it doesn't mean it's better. If you have 8GB at 1833mhz it would run far more effectively than 12GB at 1022Mhz. Always keep in mind what the processing speed is.
Also there is no real reason to buy anything above an I7-920. You can easily overclock it to around 3.2-4 Ghz and still be stable. That'll be more than capapble of handling what you need.
So just keep in mind that more GBs doesn't always mean better performance. Corsair Dominator ftw.

The i7 needs Socket 1366, so triple channel only.
Can't do 8GBs unless you do 3x3x2, which you can't buy.

Originally Posted by jmedora

Originally Posted by Vendetta

The i7 needs Socket 1366, so triple channel only.
Can't do 8GBs unless you do 3x3x2, which you can't buy.

I mean even if you can buy..you dont want to use different memory sized modules..It might slow it down sometimes. OP get a good gpu too since youre going to have alot of 3d renderings.

Are you building a PC or buying a prebuilt? If you're building, buy an i7-920 and overclock that sucker, the 975 is not worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom