White Collar Crimes

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

Smartest & slickest crimes in the book
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
, I Salute white collar crimes

2wn7m1w.gif

A few things about this sensationalized headline:
1)   Paul Allen was an enabler, not the mastermind of the scheme.   He simply went along with it.   The man in charge, Lee B. Farkas, was sentenced to life in prison (25 years +), and is being fined upwards of 30 million dollars.

2)   Regardless of the amount of money stolen, the homeless guy committed armed robbery, a serious felony.   The fact that he didn't actually have a gun is inconsequential; when you commit a bank robbery under the pretense of being armed, the law comes down on you hard. 

That is all.

1)   Paul Allen was an enabler, not the mastermind of the scheme.   He simply went along with it.   The man in charge, Lee B. Farkas, was sentenced to life in prison (25 years +), and is being fined upwards of 30 million dollars.

2)   Regardless of the amount of money stolen, the homeless guy committed armed robbery, a serious felony.   The fact that he didn't actually have a gun is inconsequential; when you commit a bank robbery under the pretense of being armed, the law comes down on you hard. 

That is all.

Originally Posted by whiterails

That is all.

you guys need to read beyond the title sometimes. 

That is all.

you guys need to read beyond the title sometimes. 

I get where you're going with this.
In either case, both acts of crime aren't justified.

What else can I say, we live in the U.S.

That is all.
In the context of the fraud case alone, then Paul Allen's punishment seems fair enough. And I had no idea about how armed robberies are judged, just upfront it felt unfair to me. So whether or not he had a gun and regardless of how much money he was punished real hard. Thanks for putting it into perspective. Still OD though imo, esp when you have the other guy in the story I posted who robbed a bank for $1 and they want to give him a light sentence. All because he had no intentions of having a gun, versus the homeless man who pretended to have a gun.

That is all.
In the context of the fraud case alone, then Paul Allen's punishment seems fair enough. And I had no idea about how armed robberies are judged, just upfront it felt unfair to me. So whether or not he had a gun and regardless of how much money he was punished real hard. Thanks for putting it into perspective. Still OD though imo, esp when you have the other guy in the story I posted who robbed a bank for $1 and they want to give him a light sentence. All because he had no intentions of having a gun, versus the homeless man who pretended to have a gun.

there are much better examples to prove your point than these two....actually these are pretty bad

there are much better examples to prove your point than these two....actually these are pretty bad

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Originally Posted by namtsui

I never really considered white collar crimes to be so bad as in they aren't directly threatening people's lives. But this puts it into perspective for me. Because when you compare these 2 cases, the CEO did more fiscal damage and it's essentially a robbery. So it comes down to armed robbery where you directly threaten peoples lives vs. indirect fiscal damage, and it appears that the justice system considers violence to be worse than fraud. BUT, he didn't even have a gun.

So I conclude that 15 years is way too long given the circumstances, and this is a direct violation of the constitutional right to protection against cruel and unusual punishment.

How in the world do you not consider white collar crimes bad? Ask any red blooded american if they would perfer to get jumped by a gang or loss their life saving/house/kids college fund etc for reasons out of their control. 100 times out of 100 people will take the butt whipping without second thought.

Originally Posted by namtsui

I never really considered white collar crimes to be so bad as in they aren't directly threatening people's lives. But this puts it into perspective for me. Because when you compare these 2 cases, the CEO did more fiscal damage and it's essentially a robbery. So it comes down to armed robbery where you directly threaten peoples lives vs. indirect fiscal damage, and it appears that the justice system considers violence to be worse than fraud. BUT, he didn't even have a gun.

So I conclude that 15 years is way too long given the circumstances, and this is a direct violation of the constitutional right to protection against cruel and unusual punishment.

How in the world do you not consider white collar crimes bad? Ask any red blooded american if they would perfer to get jumped by a gang or loss their life saving/house/kids college fund etc for reasons out of their control. 100 times out of 100 people will take the butt whipping without second thought.

Black collar crime? You do realize that "white collar" has no racial connotations, right? The opposite is blue collar, btw.

There is far too much ignorance in the one page of this thread to address it all, but some people are pointing out pertinent thoughts while the rest of you spew out idiotic opinions. "I salute white collar criminals"... If that isn't the stupidest thing I've read on NT in 10 years... There are many elements to consider in sentencing than just dollar amounts. Is there some inequality? Most likely yes. Does that account for the bulk of the difference in sentences? Most likely not. The reality is we are missing a big bit of facts, but it's usually safe to assume that a white collar criminal's life of crime is over after the first arrest--nobody will want to invest with him again. The homeless addict is a far more likely candidate for future crimes and may very well have a long list of prior bad acts that contributed to his lengthy sentence.

Black collar crime? You do realize that "white collar" has no racial connotations, right? The opposite is blue collar, btw.

There is far too much ignorance in the one page of this thread to address it all, but some people are pointing out pertinent thoughts while the rest of you spew out idiotic opinions. "I salute white collar criminals"... If that isn't the stupidest thing I've read on NT in 10 years... There are many elements to consider in sentencing than just dollar amounts. Is there some inequality? Most likely yes. Does that account for the bulk of the difference in sentences? Most likely not. The reality is we are missing a big bit of facts, but it's usually safe to assume that a white collar criminal's life of crime is over after the first arrest--nobody will want to invest with him again. The homeless addict is a far more likely candidate for future crimes and may very well have a long list of prior bad acts that contributed to his lengthy sentence.

How is stealing from people not considered a "direct harm" to anyone? Wow..The reasoning of some of you are just plain ignorant..Just because it is a non-violent crime, it's not that bad? 
eyes.gif

How is stealing from people not considered a "direct harm" to anyone? Wow..The reasoning of some of you are just plain ignorant..Just because it is a non-violent crime, it's not that bad? 
eyes.gif

That is all.
This should be posted in every one of these stupid threads like this.
If people knew more about the criminal justice system they'd understand

busey_clapping.gif

That is all.
This should be posted in every one of these stupid threads like this.
If people knew more about the criminal justice system they'd understand

busey_clapping.gif

Too many high-handed statements in this thread. Not everyone is ignorant of the legal system. You can understand the logic behind these laws and still take exception to the fairness of them.

Too many high-handed statements in this thread. Not everyone is ignorant of the legal system. You can understand the logic behind these laws and still take exception to the fairness of them.

Back
Top Bottom