WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

it's a distinction without a difference..

If the transmission occurred when you and your bro rubbed sores during foreplay,
or rubbed skin during anal sex, or from rubbing the bedding you shared after having sex.

the driver of transmission is functionally sex.

Lol so go shake hands with someone with active sores and report back to us. :rofl:

i don't often use soiled bedding when using relatives.
maybe it's the whole canadians being nice usually they give me some fresh sheets.

again if visiting relatives and sharing soiled bedding / coaches is a driver of spread,
simply proved some evidence showing that and ill happily change my mind.
Define "driver" in this context.

Something can be a mode of transmission without necessarily being the "driver," and I don't think that should be discounted.

maybe it's the whole canadians being nice usually they give me some fresh sheets.

again if visiting relatives and sharing soiled bedding / coaches is a driver of spread,

Do Canadians also disinfect their chairs and sofas daily? :lol:

The bed or couch doesn't have to be visibly soiled to have shed viral particles on it :rofl:

Define "driver" in this context.

Something can be a mode of transmission without necessarily being the "driver," and I don't think that should be discounted.

i never said it should be discounted.
like I said anyone can get monkey pox, but most of the transmission is happening with men having sex with men.

and they are most at risk right now given what we know.

so if someone asks me, should I fist bump my friend?or should I got to the gym?or should I go to NYC?

I think if you aren't having sex with your friend while fist bumping them,
and you don't plan on having sex at the gym,
and you aren't attending a sex party in NYC

these are the scenarios I initially responded to
and all those activities given what we know right now are pretty low risk

I stand by that,
things can obviously change but im not going to get ahead of the data.

The bed or couch doesn't have to be visibly soiled to have shed viral particles on it :rofl:

you're are acting like a dude worried about getting crabs from a public toilet.

all you gotta do is produce some evidence that this is a major source of transmission.
and ill change my mind.

i never said it should be discounted.
like I said anyone can get monkey pox, but most of the transmission is happening with men having sex with men.

and they are most at risk right now given what we know.

so if someone asks me, should I fist bump my friend?or should I got to the gym?or should I go to NYC?

I think if you aren't having sex with your friend while fist bumping them,
and you don't plan on having sex at the gym,
and you aren't attending a sex party in NYC

these are the scenarios I initially responded to
and all those activities given what we know right now are pretty low risk

I stand by that,
things can obviously change but im not going to get ahead of the data.
but who is saying to stop doing any of the things you mentioned?

This reminds me low-information conservative tactic of making up a problem and subsequently getting worked up over the thing you made up.

you're are acting like a dude worried about getting crabs from a public toilet.

all you gotta do is produce some evidence that this is a major source of transmission.
and ill change my mind.

Lol If someone put their lesion filled *** cheeks on a toilet and you sit on it you are at risk.

You sound like someone who puts his raw booty on public toilets.

but who is saying to stop doing any of the things you mentioned?

This reminds me low-information conservative tactic of making up a problem and subsequently getting worked up over the thing you made up.

people in this thread. that's how this got started.

some asked if it was safe to got to NYC

unless you going to new york to attend an orgy I think you good fam,

enjoy your new york trip.

some asked if it was cool to bump elbows

"Can’t even try to bump elbows either since it spreads via clothing as well.
Just gotta give the head nod and keep it moving again"

Unless you're having sex with them I think you'll be okay.

and homeboy said he didn't want to go to the gym anymore.

Lol If someone put their lesion filled *** cheeks on a toilet and you sit on it you are at risk.

You sound like someone who puts his raw booty on public toilets.

there we go,
just say you are a germaphobe and stop pretending like you are just "following the science"

tbh I am to, that's why I try to fixated on the data, instead catastrophizing about toilet seat crabs, and couch monkey pox.

My biggest fear at the moment is this thing mutating to something as dangerous as small pox. Viruses have had it with human arrogance and shenanigans.

But no one is saying to stop doing anything. Seems like they're just asking questions, which is fair, yet you responded with hyperbole.

I'm sorry, but what you're doing right now stinks of COVID "i ReFuSe To LiVe In FeAr" energy. If people want to be overly-cautious I don't see the harm in that, whereas I can see potential harm in your line of thinking. Seems pretty low-consequence to take the extra precautions, so I think your level of nitpicking is kind of stupid, particularly when you factor in how it has no bearing on your life.

I don't understand what point you are making

my only argument is that monkey pox outbreak in america is being driven by sex, mostly sex between men.
and that it's important to be clear about this so high risk groups can take precautions, and we can make appropriate cost benefit analysis.

the fact that the disease is well known. so?
that in different settings it's spread in other ways, yah and?

people should have accurate information,
the accurate information is that yes anyone can get monkey pox, but it's mostly spreading in the gay community right now.
If the set of activities that require contact is A, then sex is included in A.

If you want to say that only those engaging in gay sex should worry about monkeypox, you'd have to prove that all other elements of A do not cause monkeypox.

Since all other elements of A that fall under the umbrella of non-sexual contact cause monkeypox, as evidenced by long-term studies of transmission in African countries, it is inaccurate to present gay sex as the only mode of transmission of monkeypox.

Regarding the reason why the virus has been predominantly spreading in the gay community, I think this article makes a fair point about the outbreak by emphasizing how behavior contributes to the speed of transmission.

To those who study how pathogens spread through social and sexual networks, the pattern is not a big surprise. In the 1970s and ’80s, researchers trying to understand the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea were stumped, says LSHTM epidemiologist Adam Kucharski: Survey data showed people’s average numbers of sexual partners were too low to sustain transmission. But averages obscured that although many people have few sexual partners, some have large numbers. This helps drive transmission because, if infected, they are also more likely to infect others.

Sexual networks among MSM are not different in nature from those of other groups, Whittles stresses, but a core group of people are much more densely connected than people outside the MSM community. They change partners more frequently and are more likely to have several partners at the same time.
“These things occur in all sexual networks, it is just a question of the degree,” Whittles says. And in a densely connected network, the virus is less likely to hit a dead end.

The virus could still find other networks with similar characteristics. Daskalakis recalls a U.S. outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the 2000s that started in the MSM community but later spread in gyms, among athletes, and in prisons. Monkeypox could also start to spread among sex workers and their clients, Tuite says.
At the moment, this makes a lot more sense to me than trying to suggest that monkeypox is a gay STD.

But no one is saying to stop doing anything. Seems like they're just asking questions, which is fair, yet you responded with hyperbole.

I'm sorry, but what you're doing right now stinks of COVID "i ReFuSe To LiVe In FeAr" energy. If people want to be overly-cautious I don't see the harm in that, whereas I can see potential harm in your line of thinking. Seems pretty low-consequence to take the extra precautions, so I think your level of nitpicking is kind of stupid, particularly when you factor in how it has no bearing on your life.

It's not hyperbole, it's the basic advice I would give to anyone based into the available data.

If you want to take extra precautions that's fine, it's a free country.

But the reality is going to NYC, going to the gym, and fist bumping your friends are low risk activities when it comes to monkey pox.

Now if you want eliminate all risk, that's fine.

But we don't need to exaggerate the risks.

The first population to be stricken by an ailment is usually by chance. If one person is infected he will most likely spread it to people within close proximity eg. His race, culture, religion etc. It doesn't mean it's going to stay in that population.

If the set of activities that require contact is A, then sex is included in A.

If you want to say that only those engaging in gay sex should worry about monkeypox, you'd have to prove that all other elements of A do not cause monkeypox.

Since all other elements of A that fall under the umbrella of non-sexual contact cause monkeypox, as evidenced by long-term studies of transmission in African countries, it is inaccurate to present gay sex as the only mode of transmission of monkeypox.

Regarding the reason why the virus has been predominantly spreading in the gay community, I think this article makes a fair point about the outbreak by emphasizing how behavior contributes to the speed of transmission.

At the moment, this makes a lot more sense to me than trying to suggest that monkeypox is a gay STD.

Again I sincerely do not understand what point you are making.

Like I said yes anyone can monkey pox.
Yes there are other theoretical modes of transmission.

But for the current outbreak all the data, says the overwhelming majority of transmission is occuring during sex in gay social networks.

If you are not doing that you risk is low.

I don't need to disprove anything I never said it's a gay std, or onyl gay people can get it.

We don't need to compare modes of transmission in countries with totally different public health infastructre, sanitation ect .

We have data of what is happening here.

Like I said you theoretically could get crabs from a public toilet seat, but that is not driving the spread of crabs

I don't think I need to disprove every other mode of transmission
To say the chances of that happening are low.

The first population to be stricken by an ailment is usually by chance. If one person is infected he will most likely spread it to people within close proximity eg. His race, culture, religion etc. It doesn't mean it's going to stay in that population.

I didn't say it was going to stay in the population.

If it spreads significantly beyond I will happily change my mind and change the advice I might give someone.

I didn't say it was going to stay in the population.

If it spreads significantly beyond I will happily change my mind and change the advice I might give someone.

This is what happens when you present data to uneducated people who don't understand the concept of confounding factors. :lol:

Walking home from the gym as we speak spreadneck. I said I'm apprehensive about it. I didn't say I wouldn't go. The gym is a hot bed for microbes of all kinds not just monkey pox.

I think people have started noticing I overspray all the equipment and don't wipe it down. I think people are doing it wrong when they wipe down gym equipment. Just spray and let it air dry. When you wipe it down you're just moving germs around. Spray it let it settle for a bit and dry off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom