Who Here Has A "Good" Job With No College Degree VOL. 40K+

Originally Posted by Xplicit213

IT is where the money's at. My boy makes 65K with out a college degree and hes only been doing this for a couple years. You get your foot in the door with Help Desk and work your way up.
how much do you start off at Help Desk?  I've been interested in doing IT for a while, but the problem is that I don't have any experience nor any certs.
anybody in Houston who works in the IT field, hit me up.  Let's talk

I'm in Oklahoma not Houston, but those IT certs are easy. 15 minutes a day over about 10 days studying a test bank (not the book) and you can ace it. Find out what's required and I'll link you to a recent test bank to use as a study guide. They keep making us have to take those. They have us doing the Windows 7 certs right now because that's what the new D.O.D images are going to.

Originally Posted by trickster360cj

What types of questions would they ask in a interview for a Help Desk job?
most important is ticketing system , like remedy, how many calls per day  did you take in , easy stuff, then what if you if a user calls and cant print , nothing hard or complicated

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I'm in Oklahoma not Houston, but those IT certs are easy. 15 minutes a day over about 10 days studying a test bank (not the book) and you can ace it. Find out what's required and I'll link you to a recent test bank to use as a study guide. They keep making us have to take those. They have us doing the Windows 7 certs right now because that's what the new D.O.D images are going to.

Hmmm, all this sounds good.  I'll take a link to any and all test banks you have.

Originally Posted by sladewilson

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

So what happens if you get these IT certificates and when you're on the job, you don't know how to perform?? 

theres people CCNA certified people with A plus certs that cant even put memory in laptops 
roll.gif
  , thats why most places take experience over certs
eek.gif
 This can't be real life ........... But it does make sense because I ended up fixing my laptop after fry's screwed out of my warranty, talking about my motherboard was fried, when all I needed to do was change out the jack

Can you send me what you have also

Maaaaan, I need to go back and retake Hustlenomics 101 bc I'm tired of workin from the bottom and not going anywhere. Looking into a Financial Advisor Trainee program.

I also work for the railroad, depending on how many years you have in seniority wise and if you stay available to work, anywhere from $60k-$100k a year. Catches to the job; NO DRUGS, NO ALCOHOL, crazy hours, MUST have a A++ clean record/clean driving record (no DWI/DUI, multiple tickets, accidents etc), no convictions-misdemeanors/felonies, you will be disqualified immediately. They do extensive background checks-I can promise you that you will not be able to hide anything from them, also a good medical history. The drug test is a urine AND hair follicle test, if you cannot produce any hair for them they will consider it as you're hiding something so you're automatically dismissed from then and any future considerations.

The benefits of the job definitely outweigh the bad, great pay, separate retirement-you don't pay into Social Security, the railroad has it's own retirement system that has always been in the black since it began, retire at 60 (but you must have 30 years in at least) and awesome healthcare. It is a federal job so there are a lot of rules that you must abide by. I work for a Class I railroad. It is definitely not easy to get in, if you know someone it greatly helps you out but I didn't know anyone so it can be done.

Can you post some links or PM? I am A+, Net+, and my CCNA expired, but am considering getting back into IT ...

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Hmmm, all this sounds good.  I'll take a link to any and all test banks you have.

Can I get a link as well ?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by TomDiginson

nerd.gif
yea bro, i need it all

Originally Posted by TomDiginson

nerd.gif
Shoot me the link too fams.

Add me to the list. Thanks in Advance. 

i think i'm going to look into IT help and service as a side hustle this summer...

i know alot about computers... and could SMASH one of the certification tests no problem...

i just dont know where to go where i would be making guap like that...

hospitals... where else?

Originally Posted by iTz HoVi BaBy

I also work for the railroad, depending on how many years you have in seniority wise and if you stay available to work, anywhere from $60k-$100k a year. Catches to the job; NO DRUGS, NO ALCOHOL, crazy hours, MUST have a A++ clean record/clean driving record (no DWI/DUI, multiple tickets, accidents etc), no convictions-misdemeanors/felonies, you will be disqualified immediately. They do extensive background checks-I can promise you that you will not be able to hide anything from them, also a good medical history. The drug test is a urine AND hair follicle test, if you cannot produce any hair for them they will consider it as you're hiding something so you're automatically dismissed from then and any future considerations.

The benefits of the job definitely outweigh the bad, great pay, separate retirement-you don't pay into Social Security, the railroad has it's own retirement system that has always been in the black since it began, retire at 60 (but you must have 30 years in at least) and awesome healthcare. It is a federal job so there are a lot of rules that you must abide by. I work for a Class I railroad. It is definitely not easy to get in, if you know someone it greatly helps you out but I didn't know anyone so it can be done.

Norfolk &Southern railroad is hiring 100 something people in bellvue Ohio if anyone lives in that area

My homegirl is making about 40K doing IT help desk.  She has no degrees or certs, just took about a year's worth of computer classes at the CC. She's 23 
If you have the certs though, you can make around 50-55 (so I've heard) and this is still w/o any type of degree.

Originally Posted by cs02132

go work at Staples or Best buy , geek squad , 12 per hour ,

or you can work IT at hospitals
help desk
deskside support
25 per hour
doing nothing but youtube all day
sometimes someone needs a keyboard or
usb mouse
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i want to do this. Do they drug test ? im assuming they will since its a hospital

if you  live in calif i can get you an interview for Kaiser , Hoag hospital , Abbot vascular or Johnson an Johnson   
I live in So cal, pretty ok with computers.....nothing cert worthy, though....do I have a chance? 
Also, I'll take a PM scientific.

I want to make sure I have as many fall back plans as possible if Higher Education/Student Affairs doesn't work out for me.

Back
Top Bottom