Who here has studied abroad? vol. Pimpin all over the world

I was a civil engineering major so my options for study abroad were limited (we have a pretty set curriculum)

I ended up doing a summer program in China in 2008: 10 days in Beijing, 7 in Shanghai, 3 in Shenzhen, & 8 in Hong Kong. Was an incredible experience. 100% Recommended.

I was a civil engineering major so my options for study abroad were limited (we have a pretty set curriculum)

I ended up doing a summer program in China in 2008: 10 days in Beijing, 7 in Shanghai, 3 in Shenzhen, & 8 in Hong Kong. Was an incredible experience. 100% Recommended.

I've done a study abroad in the Galapagos and I'm studying in Ghana in a few days. Best time of my life, especially since my school pays for everything. If you can go then don't think twice about it, just go, it's worth it

I've done a study abroad in the Galapagos and I'm studying in Ghana in a few days. Best time of my life, especially since my school pays for everything. If you can go then don't think twice about it, just go, it's worth it

Sounds to me like some of you that are excited about study abroad have not had much travel experience outside of your country prior to the trip. Travel is indeed fun, but some of you guys aren't making sense. Going to study abroad, but being lenient on the studying?
laugh.gif
If you just wanted to take in the culture, you could visit the country while you're not in school.

Sounds to me like some of you that are excited about study abroad have not had much travel experience outside of your country prior to the trip. Travel is indeed fun, but some of you guys aren't making sense. Going to study abroad, but being lenient on the studying?
laugh.gif
If you just wanted to take in the culture, you could visit the country while you're not in school.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

laugh.gif
I may be naive since I didn't do it myself, but judging by the way my circle of friends (who did it in various places like London, Florence, Rome, etc) talked about the experience, there wasn't much literal "studying" and classes were pretty much a joke. Teachers extremely casual. Unanimously sounded like a bunch of 3 month vacations, traveling all across Europe and within their own countries of choice.

laugh.gif
I may be naive since I didn't do it myself, but judging by the way my circle of friends (who did it in various places like London, Florence, Rome, etc) talked about the experience, there wasn't much literal "studying" and classes were pretty much a joke. Teachers extremely casual. Unanimously sounded like a bunch of 3 month vacations, traveling all across Europe and within their own countries of choice.

laugh.gif

Blah blah blah.I can almost garentee that doing an abroad program extends the chances of being cultured more than just visting. Being that you would be going to school with many people who lived there would far greater an experience.

laugh.gif

Blah blah blah.I can almost garentee that doing an abroad program extends the chances of being cultured more than just visting. Being that you would be going to school with many people who lived there would far greater an experience.

Anyone here lived in Switzerland before? I got an internship offer (unpaid) to work in Geneva this summer. The fact that its unpaid sucks but 90% of U.N. affiliated organizations and NGOs do not fund internships for various reasons. I'm thinking of going because I think it'll be a great experience and it'll look nice on the resume. The only thing holding me back is the cost as I've read that Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries on the planet. A 1 bedroom apartment is like 1000 Francs (around $1000 USD), a basic haircut is around 50 Francs, etc etc. To get a visa you need to prove that you have atleast around $2500 USD to spend per month on living expenses. I'll definitely try to hit up atleast France, Italy and Spain if I go...I read that round trip budget flights from Switzerland to neighboring countries are offered for as little as $50.

If anyone's worked in Europe some insight would be great.

Anyone here lived in Switzerland before? I got an internship offer (unpaid) to work in Geneva this summer. The fact that its unpaid sucks but 90% of U.N. affiliated organizations and NGOs do not fund internships for various reasons. I'm thinking of going because I think it'll be a great experience and it'll look nice on the resume. The only thing holding me back is the cost as I've read that Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries on the planet. A 1 bedroom apartment is like 1000 Francs (around $1000 USD), a basic haircut is around 50 Francs, etc etc. To get a visa you need to prove that you have atleast around $2500 USD to spend per month on living expenses. I'll definitely try to hit up atleast France, Italy and Spain if I go...I read that round trip budget flights from Switzerland to neighboring countries are offered for as little as $50.

If anyone's worked in Europe some insight would be great.

laugh.gif
my ex is on a scholarship, so it was a paid vacay for her 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
my ex is on a scholarship, so it was a paid vacay for her 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by Inspectorgadget13

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

I was in Spain this summer it was the best time of my life. Study abroad/travel when the world cup is going on
pimp.gif

NICE. Spain is one of the destinations I'm looking at...any things you wish you knew before going?

And Grim I feel you on the academics. I've heard it both ways i.e. classes are super hard/easy but hopefully I can balance the experience and actually doing work
laugh.gif
Service in Spain is very slow. I would be at a restaurant waiting for service and getting the bill would always take days. Oh yeah they have 2 siestas(naps) a day so shops wouldnt be open during certain hours. It's not like the US where shops/restaurants are open all the time. I experienced the good and bad but it was well worth it. If you're going to be there during the summer be sure to check out Ibiza. There are two things you need to do in college and that is to get laid and study abroad
laugh.gif

I was in Spain (Barcelona) studying abroad this summer too. Did 6 weeks. I missed out in undergrad and this was my last chance so I jumped at it. Definitely one of the best times I've had in my life. Being out there for the world cup victory was a great stroke of luck as well
pimp.gif
. For my experience the classes were conducted in a serious matter but the professor's grading was way more lenient. I suspect this would be the same with most programs for two reasons: 1) the professors know that you are also out their to enjoy the experience and immerse yourself in the foreign culture, so od'in on the academics would be a messed up thing to do; and 2) schools want to attract people to study abroad and no one will want to spend all that money and study abroad if they hear that half the students got terrible grades. Anyways, I didn't experience the bad service or anything like that but maybe its because my Spanish is pretty decent. Overall I was able to immerse myself in the culture and got to enjoy one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (the food and architecture were
eek.gif
). My only regret was not making it to Ibiza. I spent a few of my weekends traveling to other European cities such as Amsterdam (twice), Paris and London. I didn't have enough time during the week to head out to Ibiza but I'm sure this won't be my last time in Spain so I'll get it on the next go around.
Wow I was in Spain over the summer as well. If you want to boost up your GPA, definitely do it. Just show up to classes, and the instructors are happy that you're there and learning the culture and whatnot. Easy A+. And Spanish girls
pimp.gif
. Just be sure not to catch any venereal diseases.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

I was in Spain this summer it was the best time of my life. Study abroad/travel when the world cup is going on
pimp.gif

NICE. Spain is one of the destinations I'm looking at...any things you wish you knew before going?

And Grim I feel you on the academics. I've heard it both ways i.e. classes are super hard/easy but hopefully I can balance the experience and actually doing work
laugh.gif
Service in Spain is very slow. I would be at a restaurant waiting for service and getting the bill would always take days. Oh yeah they have 2 siestas(naps) a day so shops wouldnt be open during certain hours. It's not like the US where shops/restaurants are open all the time. I experienced the good and bad but it was well worth it. If you're going to be there during the summer be sure to check out Ibiza. There are two things you need to do in college and that is to get laid and study abroad
laugh.gif

I was in Spain (Barcelona) studying abroad this summer too. Did 6 weeks. I missed out in undergrad and this was my last chance so I jumped at it. Definitely one of the best times I've had in my life. Being out there for the world cup victory was a great stroke of luck as well
pimp.gif
. For my experience the classes were conducted in a serious matter but the professor's grading was way more lenient. I suspect this would be the same with most programs for two reasons: 1) the professors know that you are also out their to enjoy the experience and immerse yourself in the foreign culture, so od'in on the academics would be a messed up thing to do; and 2) schools want to attract people to study abroad and no one will want to spend all that money and study abroad if they hear that half the students got terrible grades. Anyways, I didn't experience the bad service or anything like that but maybe its because my Spanish is pretty decent. Overall I was able to immerse myself in the culture and got to enjoy one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (the food and architecture were
eek.gif
). My only regret was not making it to Ibiza. I spent a few of my weekends traveling to other European cities such as Amsterdam (twice), Paris and London. I didn't have enough time during the week to head out to Ibiza but I'm sure this won't be my last time in Spain so I'll get it on the next go around.
Wow I was in Spain over the summer as well. If you want to boost up your GPA, definitely do it. Just show up to classes, and the instructors are happy that you're there and learning the culture and whatnot. Easy A+. And Spanish girls
pimp.gif
. Just be sure not to catch any venereal diseases.

laugh.gif
Whatever man...I'm not even gonna argue that. Everyones situation is unique so I don't see how you can just reach that conclusion but its all good. Thanks for thr advice.

off_line.gif
RavageBX

NICE. So I'm guessing the housing wasn't provided by the host institution/home school? Did you find housing once there or prior to going? And you said you missed your chance in undergrad, so I'm guessing you're a grad student? I already have enough credits to graduate so this is kind of a last hurrah for me too
laugh.gif

off_line.gif
DeadsetAce

Aussie's another country I'm looking at...glad to hear you had a good time. Any particular things you'd tell someone who was going?

off_line.gif
Carlos Tevez

Damn man thats a pretty sick opportunity. Congrats.

off_line.gif
doctorshoes

Very nice man. Quick question though, whats your major? I've noticed alot of the tropical (in reference to Galapagos) destinations seem to be reserved for hard science majors. I'm also looking at a summer program in Ghana. Looks pretty interesting.

laugh.gif
Whatever man...I'm not even gonna argue that. Everyones situation is unique so I don't see how you can just reach that conclusion but its all good. Thanks for thr advice.

off_line.gif
RavageBX

NICE. So I'm guessing the housing wasn't provided by the host institution/home school? Did you find housing once there or prior to going? And you said you missed your chance in undergrad, so I'm guessing you're a grad student? I already have enough credits to graduate so this is kind of a last hurrah for me too
laugh.gif

off_line.gif
DeadsetAce

Aussie's another country I'm looking at...glad to hear you had a good time. Any particular things you'd tell someone who was going?

off_line.gif
Carlos Tevez

Damn man thats a pretty sick opportunity. Congrats.

off_line.gif
doctorshoes

Very nice man. Quick question though, whats your major? I've noticed alot of the tropical (in reference to Galapagos) destinations seem to be reserved for hard science majors. I'm also looking at a summer program in Ghana. Looks pretty interesting.

Headin to Geelong, Australia on a study abroad program on Saturday...gonna be on the plane still hungover from NYE on a 20 hr flight....im hyped as hell for it...im in a scholarship program where I can study abroad anywhere in the world and all my expenses are paid (went to argentina for a month in jan 09, brazil
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
for a month in jan 10, and now im spending a month in australia) so I sure as hell took advantage of it these past 4 years

For me, the best part of studying abroad for me was the ratio of the program lol, when i went to argentina i was one of 5 dudes and there was like 20 chicks...brazil i was one of 3 dudes and 25 chicks, and im about to be one of 4 dudes in australia with like 15 chicks on the program
pimp.gif

And of course the experience of being in a new country, learning how to get around in a place where less than 5% of the people speak english and all that were amazing eye-opening experiences that truly broadens your outlook as a person...

Man to put it simply...just GO! the longer the program the better. Im graduating in May and I really wish I did a semester long program....but hey, three winter programs in the southern hemisphere arent bad at all
pimp.gif

Headin to Geelong, Australia on a study abroad program on Saturday...gonna be on the plane still hungover from NYE on a 20 hr flight....im hyped as hell for it...im in a scholarship program where I can study abroad anywhere in the world and all my expenses are paid (went to argentina for a month in jan 09, brazil
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
for a month in jan 10, and now im spending a month in australia) so I sure as hell took advantage of it these past 4 years

For me, the best part of studying abroad for me was the ratio of the program lol, when i went to argentina i was one of 5 dudes and there was like 20 chicks...brazil i was one of 3 dudes and 25 chicks, and im about to be one of 4 dudes in australia with like 15 chicks on the program
pimp.gif

And of course the experience of being in a new country, learning how to get around in a place where less than 5% of the people speak english and all that were amazing eye-opening experiences that truly broadens your outlook as a person...

Man to put it simply...just GO! the longer the program the better. Im graduating in May and I really wish I did a semester long program....but hey, three winter programs in the southern hemisphere arent bad at all
pimp.gif

i think in general...a lot of people go abroad and hang in a close knit pack of americans. it's fine to do that, as long as you branch out and meet locals. it's the best way to just experience another culture. the people there are pretty friendly, as long as george bush isn't your idol. they're pretty welcoming to americans i think, as long as you're respectful. lot of americans go there, party like crazy, get way too drunk, and act loud and obnoxiuous. that's the quickest way to get your %!# kicked. don't get me wrong, aussies drink and party with the best of them, but they handle their booze much better than the average american, imo. great thai food in australia. even better beer. the lifestyle is great...if it's a nice day out, people will be at the beach instead of work. work to live, not the other way around like here.
use school breaks and the time before and after your semester to travel, both in and around australia. there's ton to see in australia. definitely try and hit new zealand on your school's week long break. it's pretty easy and not too inexpensive to book your flight so that one leg goes through fiji...amazing place. some people hit asia on the way home. all depends on how much you can spend and what you're interested in...but at the least, use some weekends to try and explore other parts of australia.

feel free to PM if you have anything specific you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom