WHO is the most famous person in the world??

Some good responses. I have some things to say.
-First off...most popular internet search yields...most popular internet search. There are millions who have never punched a key.
-A lot of these people are big....but not so big.
-Religion has been around for thousands of years. The pope is probably 1st. (IM-humble-O)
-I'm not even a real big beatles fan...but people are really underestimating Sir Paul McCartney.
-Bill Gates is a good one, since he is in an elite bunch of rich people. But, besides Buffet, I can't think of anyone else in that group off hand
grin.gif

-Obama is a good choice too, however...it wouldn't surprise me if more people in asia knew the leader of China over Obama. Americans see the world throughAmerican eyes.

EDIT* Alive

Nobody in my neighborhood knows who David Beckham is.

Obama
Pope (Whichever at the time)
Hitler
Jesus
Propher Mohammed

Not in order

Originally Posted by HI PROFILE

Honest to god until this thread I had no clue who "Zidane" was
Word. I thought Pele was the jeans Hispanics buy or something. I'm so not even playing..

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

Originally Posted by LarryIndiana219

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

A lot of you in here are a prime example as to why the international community feels the way it does towards america. Tiger is definitely not more popular compared to Beckham worldwide..
laugh.gif
No, you got it backwards. A lot of us in here are just stating opinions. There is no ONE answer to the question. But all the soccer fans are on this lil crusade to crown whoever their champion is
laugh.gif
. It's like because the SPORT is so serious (and because ya'll resent that Americans couldn't care any less..
grin.gif
), ya'll think the atrhletes themselves are the most famous people ever, and it's just not true. Sorry. If 450 million people in the world's most influential country couldn't care less... that's a huge disperity. There's a reason team players wear numbers on their back. Real talk, Jordan's jersey is more popular than he ever was or will be. One day he'll die. His legacy lives in his uniform though. His face may fadre from memory in as short as 50 years. Ask 10 random people today if they'd know who Bill Russel was if he walked up to them.. or Jerry West.... faces get old to new generations if those faces get attached to things like unoiforms and teams. Until you can wrap your mind around the concept that Tiger plays an individual's sport, with no team name, team colors colors, logos, jersies, or any of the other symbol that superceeds a player's last name, you won't get what I'm trying to say. You only know who Tiger is because of what Tiger does, not his team, coach, or any of that. He's not carrying a tradition, he's making one. That alone, plus his status as THEE best in the game bar none based on his own solo effort, coupled with his lucrative business connections, marketing, endorsements, appeal, and projected longevity... it's pretty open and shut. Tiger is the world's most famous athlete today just off face and name recognition alone. No one watches golf. **#% the sport
laugh.gif
. The PBA lost more than half its viewers when Tiger was out (Whoa...). But that man is world wide. Period. And I'd assume he's one of the world's most famous people in general.

it's actually amazing how incredibly ignorant you are.
Wait, wouldn't it be more ignorant to assume your opinion holds any more weight than anybody else's?

Originally Posted by HI PROFILE

Honest to god until this thread I had no clue who "Zidane" was
Word. I thought Pele was the jeans Hispanics buy or something. I'm so not even playing..
You uncivilized American's
smh.gif

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

A lot of you in here are a prime example as to why the international community feels the way it does towards america. Tiger is definitely not more popular compared to Beckham worldwide..
laugh.gif
No, you got it backwards. A lot of us in here are just stating opinions. There is no ONE answer to the question. But all the soccer fans are on this lil crusade to crown whoever their champion is
laugh.gif
. It's like because the SPORT is so serious (and because ya'll resent that Americans couldn't care any less..
grin.gif
), ya'll think the atrhletes themselves are the most famous people ever, and it's just not true. Sorry. If 450 million people in the world's most influential country couldn't care less... that's a huge disperity. There's a reason team players wear numbers on their back. Real talk, Jordan's jersey is more popular than he ever was or will be. One day he'll die. His legacy lives in his uniform though. His face may fadre from memory in as short as 50 years. Ask 10 random people today if they'd know who Bill Russel was if he walked up to them.. or Jerry West.... faces get old to new generations if those faces get attached to things like unoiforms and teams. Until you can wrap your mind around the concept that Tiger plays an individual's sport, with no team name, team colors colors, logos, jersies, or any of the other symbol that superceeds a player's last name, you won't get what I'm trying to say. You only know who Tiger is because of what Tiger does, not his team, coach, or any of that. He's not carrying a tradition, he's making one. That alone, plus his status as THEE best in the game bar none based on his own solo effort, coupled with his lucrative business connections, marketing, endorsements, appeal, and projected longevity... it's pretty open and shut. Tiger is the world's most famous athlete today just off face and name recognition alone. No one watches golf. **#% the sport
laugh.gif
. The PBA lost more than half its viewers when Tiger was out (Whoa...). But that man is world wide. Period. And I'd assume he's one of the world's most famous people in general.

it's actually amazing how incredibly ignorant you are.
Wait, wouldn't it be more ignorant to assume your opinion holds any more weight than anybody else's?
no, because I'm not assuming such. My opinion is actually backed up with a logically sound argument, whereas yours has holes (and big ones atthat).
what were your arguments again..?
1. because person x isn't big in my community, person x isn't big in the world. dumb argument, as your community is a very tiny representation of acountry that makes up a small percentage of the world.
2. person Y is an athlete, who is not only an athlete, but also a brand. Another dumb argument, as many popular athletes are brands...(i.e. beckham, federer,etc)
3. Person Y is Rich so his influence/popularity is greater than person X. Again, a dumb argument, especially considering this is a popularity thread and not a''who's the richest person'' thread. Also not sound because the athlete(s) that I named, are all very rich.
4. Person X isn't discussed in as much circles as person Y due to financial differences, buisness ventures, etc. Dumb once again, as you have no basis forsuch a claim, nor do you actually have an appropriate idea of how big person X is in some places, and how small person Y may be in those same places.
5. Person Y is more popular because he plays an individual sport, whereas person X plays a team sport. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. team sports are decorated withindividual stars, who can, in effect gain massive amounts of popularity (i.e. Beckham, Jordan). Likewise, many athletes at the top of their individual sportstill do not have the popularity of those in many team sports.
6. Person Y is more popular than person X's sport. Flat out dumb statement, and just not true.

to be fair, I never said person x was more popular than person y. I just said their global recognition is comparable. Originally I lumped person Y in withperson X on my list. I found fault with clowns such as yourself, who believe that the world rotates in your own backyard. I had no choice but to address suchfallacies.

Back
Top Bottom