who owns the masters 2 RD??????

Dame, hopefully the thread ends here.

smokin.gif

I actually thought it was all 3 of them.

Jay, Dame, Biggs.

And that Jay wanted to own the entire album.

Thought it was biggs, dame, and jay.

When jay left to be prez he offered biggs and dame the roc in exchange for the masters to rd ?

it's 50/50, jay owns the lyrics but dame owns the music itself. it's kinda effed up.

dame wants to put out a mixtape made a long time ago featuring ROC artists doin songs like politics as usual, dead presidents, etc. dudes like cam and memphisbleek are on there. i dunno if it'll ever drop.

it's a 50/50 between jay and dame.

jay wanted the other half, but dame rejected his offer.

it's a shame how the roc fell apart.

Originally Posted by damnneardeadstock

it's 50/50, jay owns the lyrics but dame owns the music itself. it's kinda effed up.

dame wants to put out a mixtape made a long time ago featuring ROC artists doin songs like politics as usual, dead presidents, etc. dudes like cam and memphis bleek are on there. i dunno if it'll ever drop.

I believe that mix was scrapped now that Dame has stepped away from music. The recorded songs were leaked, however and the majority of it was trash.

But RD is the only Jay-Z album Jay doesn't completely own the masters to.

3-way split biggs also owns a piece of it that was reason for part of the fall out jay fealt like if they were so cool why wont they give him the masters to rd

i thought when jay got the job at def jam all that %%%* went with it? i thought rocafella owned them?

A couple of things.....

sneakergod, Rocafella is the record company, so they do own the masters. Dame, Jay and Biggs own Rocafella.

All19, that's a strange statement. I don't know if that's you or Jay talking.

What does being "cool" have to do with anything? If they were so "cool", why would Jay even ask them for the masters if they co-own them.Would you just hand something you own over to another man because you're "cool"?

I mean, if the three of them ALWAYS owned RD, why should Biggs and Dame suddenly just hand over their stake?

And is using the name Biggs and Dame helped build (Rocafella) as a negotiating ploy against them a "cool" move?

Ownership of an album isn't just about who kicked rhymes on them. A LOT goes into making an album. Someone financed it, a+r'd it, adminstrated it.Marketed and promoted it.

I think you can see that just because you can step in a booth doesn't mean you can make a great album.

Originally Posted by ImmaGetMine

i thought when jay got the job at def jam all that %%%* went with it? i thought rocafella owned them?
I believe that album initially dropped on Priority Records before they inked a deal with Def Jam.

yea but it was always rocafella...

illphillip just confirmed that rocafella owned the masters which jay got when they sold it and he became president of def jam...

Jay owns them . . . He snaked them from Biggs and Dame if my memory serves me correct, I'll try to find the XXL when I get home . . . Dame told his side,and Jay did also.

What rights does owning the masters give? What exactly are "masters"? I imagine some CDs or computer files or something.

...who cares?!

its a great album, classic some might say.

are you doing a book report or something? oh a bet...hmm i see. smh

silly business/rap talk on a business that makes little money to begin with thanks to these type of convos about something you probably downloaded anyway. Itsborderline arguing about what supermarket sold more pumpkin pies on thanksgiving and who got the bigger cut the pumpkins or the sugar of a pie you didnt evenbuy.

music used to be about enjoying the show. now everyone could care less about the show, and more about what's going on backstage (of a show you snuck intowithout a ticket).

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

What rights does owning the masters give? What exactly are "masters"? I imagine some CDs or computer files or something.

Royalties mostly, "masters" is basically having the rights to the product. Jay-Z considers RD his "baby" it's his first album, I doremember that Jay had told Dame that he would give up all the other albums just to have RD for himself.

Originally Posted by illphillip

A couple of things.....

sneakergod, Rocafella is the record company, so they do own the masters. Dame, Jay and Biggs own Rocafella.

What does being "cool" have to do with anything? If they were so "cool", why would Jay even ask them for the masters if they co-own them. Would you just hand something you own over to another man because you're "cool"?

I mean, if the three of them ALWAYS owned RD, why should Biggs and Dame suddenly just hand over their stake?

And is using the name Biggs and Dame helped build (Rocafella) as a negotiating ploy against them a "cool" move?

Ownership of an album isn't just about who kicked rhymes on them. A LOT goes into making an album. Someone financed it, a+r'd it, adminstrated it. Marketed and promoted it.

I think you can see that just because you can step in a booth doesn't mean you can make a great album.
Its true that has a big play in the break up.Jay felt like he deserved the full masters of his best work.

Okay, so I guess the first question a lot of people are wondering about is: Why the split with Dame and Biggs?
I knew that was going to be your first question. Like, I'm not in the business to talk about guys I did business with-I want you to print all this-been real tight with, for over 10 years. But since there's so much out there, so much has been said, I will say this one thing: I'ma just ask the people in the world to put themselves in my shoes. However the situation happened, whether we outgrew the situation or what have you, it was time for me to seek a new deal in the situation. While I was doing that, I was gonna leave Roc-A-Fella Records, and if anybody can imagine building something from nothing, and being the main driving force for that, and then having to leave all your legacy and everything behind, I know that'd be a tough situation for anyone. While I was seeking out another deal, whether it was with the S. Carter Records or what have you, there was a deal on the table to be the president of Def Jam, continue running Roc-A-Fella, CEO-president of Roc-A-Fella also, and get all my masters back. But since I was the one that wanted to leave, I was like, let me try to figure out some way where everyone can be happy. So I said, let me have Reasonable Doubt. It's not a money thing. Reasonable Doubt, if you look at it, it sells, whatever it sells in catalog. Maybe a hundred thousand a year. It's very little money, but it meant everything to me because it was my baby. It was my first one. And it was also more of a principle thing: Just give me something, something to walk. Something to hold on to. I don't wanna walk away from Roc-A-Fella Records-if you can imagine that-with nothing... So I was like, let me get Reasonable Doubt and I'll give up [the rest of] my masters. I'll give up Roc-A-Fella, I'll give up president and CEO of Def Jam Records-everything. Just give me my baby to hold on to so 10 years down the line, I can look back and I got something-I'm not empty-handed. And I was the one being offered everything. I thought it was more than fair... And when that was turned down, I had to make a choice. I'll leave that for the people to say what choice they would've made. That's about it. I don't really wanna talk about Dame or Biggs. I don't have nothing negative to say about them.

Originally Posted by illphillip

A couple of things.....

What does being "cool" have to do with anything? If they were so "cool", why would Jay even ask them for the masters if they co-own them. Would you just hand something you own over to another man because you're "cool"?

Ownership of an album isn't just about who kicked rhymes on them. A LOT goes into making an album. Someone financed it, a+r'd it, adminstrated it. Marketed and promoted it.

Yea that's from the XXL . . . Jay did them dirty, I mean if you're only concern is yourself, don't go into a potential lifetime business with 2other individuals . . . If Jay built and ran Roc A Fella by himself, this wouldn't be a problem, but he didn't, I'm sure Biggs and Dame put in justas much hard work as he did throughout the 7 or 8 years of Roc A Fella, and if they wernt dedicated to hard work, I don't know why Jay would've everf'd with them from jump . . .

Son was just bitter that Cam was gonna get that Vice President job, that would've expanded the label, and brought more success to the Roc, but Jay has thatKobe Bryant syndrome and wants to be the ONLY One doing great . . .

Back
Top Bottom