Who Thinks Affirmative Action is Fair?

Affirmative action refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin"[sup][1][/sup] into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group "in areas of employment, education, and business",[sup][2][/sup] usually justified as countering the effects of a history of discrimination.

laugh.gif

I don't think it's fair at all. You should be awarded acceptance into a job/school/etc. because of your qualifications, not by any of the criteria affirmative action suggests.

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

damm, another one!
tumblr_lwm1z6lkVK1qef6lgo1_250.gif
2ypjf40.jpg
That kinda day

Some people at my office are getting heated about it right now. And I'm bored.

Is it necessary? Hell yeah, do I think it always will be? Hell no, in fact I think we are at the last stages, no form of policy is meant to last forever.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Is it necessary? Hell yeah, do I think it always will be? Hell no, in fact I think we are at the last stages, no form of policy is meant to last forever.

Quite the contrary.  We've only just begun.

if you think that everyone starts at the same level but only some(blacks+latinos) being awarded due to their race/color, it isn't fair. however, if you take into consideration that due to the history of the us(segregation/discrimination) certain groups are not afforded the same opportunities from birth so i think affirmative action is fair because it opens up doors for those from less fortunate circumstances

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Quite the contrary.  We've only just begun.

In the current right wing political climate, good luck expanding aa. I do feel a different policy is needed, a grand finale if you will.

If you're not going to contribute anything to the discussion, don't start a thread.

You can't just create a post asking for opinions on a controversial topic, sit back, and say, "now go argue about it for my amusement."

Affirmative action is about centuries of oppression and denied access. It's not about your boredom.

Back
Top Bottom