Who uses a Dvorak keyboard?

I just stumbled across this type of keyboard layout. I had never heard of this before, and hadn't even thought about alternative key layouts:

dvorak.jpg

Apparently invented in 1936, around 70 years later than QWERTY which was invented in the 1860's for typewriters, this layout
uses less finger motion, increases typing rate, and reduces errors compared to the de facto keyboard standard QWERTY.[sup][1][/sup] This reduction in finger distance traveled was originally purported to permit faster rates of typing, but in later years is also purported to reduce repetitive-strain injuries, including carpal tunnel syndrome.[sup][citation needed][/sup]
Although the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard (“DSK

I just stumbled across this type of keyboard layout. I had never heard of this before, and hadn't even thought about alternative key layouts:

dvorak.jpg

Apparently invented in 1936, around 70 years later than QWERTY which was invented in the 1860's for typewriters, this layout
uses less finger motion, increases typing rate, and reduces errors compared to the de facto keyboard standard QWERTY.[sup][1][/sup] This reduction in finger distance traveled was originally purported to permit faster rates of typing, but in later years is also purported to reduce repetitive-strain injuries, including carpal tunnel syndrome.[sup][citation needed][/sup]
Although the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard (“DSK

No, but I did switch my roommate's keyboard input to DVORAK on april fools one year (just the software, didn't move any of the keys physically). Dude was shook
laugh.gif

No, but I did switch my roommate's keyboard input to DVORAK on april fools one year (just the software, didn't move any of the keys physically). Dude was shook
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

laugh.gif
eek.gif

laugh.gif
eek.gif

the only problem is... if you choose to do this, you'll get used to this and then you'll probably never see the same layout again in your life.

i'll stick to QWERTY, but i have heard that you can type faster on it.

the only problem is... if you choose to do this, you'll get used to this and then you'll probably never see the same layout again in your life.

i'll stick to QWERTY, but i have heard that you can type faster on it.

thats not a different keyboard. that guy just moved around the keys. the J and F keys still have the reference braile bumps or w/e they are

thats not a different keyboard. that guy just moved around the keys. the J and F keys still have the reference braile bumps or w/e they are

Originally Posted by Theta

It's an option on the computer, it's not buying the actual keyboard...

It's an option on the computer, it's not buying the actual keyboard...

Maybe so, but you can still set your computer to this layout, which is why those keys are moved in the first place.

Maybe so, but you can still set your computer to this layout, which is why those keys are moved in the first place.

I was reading about this yesterday after listening to an interesting documentary on the radio about keyboard layouts.

It's built into windows so you can change the software easily enough - but keyboards like that are a bit rare so you have to physically move the keys around.

It is supposed to be more efficient - more letters are typed on the middle and top row and with alternating fingers which makes typing a lot more rhythmic.

Most of the speed records for typing were set on this type of keyboard - something like 180wpm for almost an hour which is insane.

I read that if you go cold turkey you could learn to type in about 2 weeks but if you keep going back to a QWERTY layout it will take you nearer a month.

I like the idea but it would be a pain using a non-standard keyboard. I wonder if you can be bi-lingual? - so you could use either layout without thinking too much.

I was reading about this yesterday after listening to an interesting documentary on the radio about keyboard layouts.

It's built into windows so you can change the software easily enough - but keyboards like that are a bit rare so you have to physically move the keys around.

It is supposed to be more efficient - more letters are typed on the middle and top row and with alternating fingers which makes typing a lot more rhythmic.

Most of the speed records for typing were set on this type of keyboard - something like 180wpm for almost an hour which is insane.

I read that if you go cold turkey you could learn to type in about 2 weeks but if you keep going back to a QWERTY layout it will take you nearer a month.

I like the idea but it would be a pain using a non-standard keyboard. I wonder if you can be bi-lingual? - so you could use either layout without thinking too much.

Looks super confusing at first, but seems like it would be a lot faster once you got it. I'll stick to qwerty though

Looks super confusing at first, but seems like it would be a lot faster once you got it. I'll stick to qwerty though

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

if these keyboard are more efficient, how come corporate offices aren't using them?

It's like many things - now that QWERTY is the established standard it's hard to change. People are used to a certain type of keyboard and it would be difficult to change now.

Interestingly since I've been reading about the Dvorak type I've noticed a lot of the deficiencies of the QWERTY style - things like having to type a lot of letters with the same hand bu on different rows - that is quite awkward and you can see how that would slow you down a lot.

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

if these keyboard are more efficient, how come corporate offices aren't using them?

It's like many things - now that QWERTY is the established standard it's hard to change. People are used to a certain type of keyboard and it would be difficult to change now.

Interestingly since I've been reading about the Dvorak type I've noticed a lot of the deficiencies of the QWERTY style - things like having to type a lot of letters with the same hand bu on different rows - that is quite awkward and you can see how that would slow you down a lot.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'd never switch to this configuration...

Back
Top Bottom