Why Did The Rockets Make This Trade?

Rudy Gay for Battier and Swift.

This was pointless, we need a third scorer and rudy was the guy for that....
they say we was ready for now, not the future, and now look, we havent gotten any better.
Yao Ming even realizes this.

Battier hasn't done much, he was been missing threes and isnt a scorer, and his defense is spilling.
Now look at Gay, He averaging about 18-19ppg in his what? 2nd season?

Another Rockets mistake for us....
smh.gif

What do you guys think?

Shane Battier is the ultimate glue guy, that's why. He's the perfect team player. He does all the little things on the court. Takes the charges,guards the opposing team's best player, hustles, etc.

At that time, the Rockets were crossing their fingers and praying to the high heavens that Brandon Roy was going to fall to them. It wasn't to be, as, Roygoes two spots ahead.
indifferent.gif

Is Rudy Gay nice? Sure is. But, the Rockets didn't really have the time to wait on his potential. Brandon Roy was NBA ready from the jump. With T-Macand Yao not necessarily getting any younger, and with Roy not being there when it was their turn to pick, the Rockets opted to aquire Shane instead, tocompliment Yao and T-Mac, as opposed to drafting Rudy Gay who would have needed the ball in his hands a lot in order for him to develop quicker.

The offense is run through Yao and T-Mac, always has, and always will.

Battier was a better fit than Gay.

Plus they unloaded Stromile Swift, that bum.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Shane Battier is the ultimate glue guy, that's why. He's the perfect team player. He does all the little things on the court. Takes the charges, guards the opposing team's best player, hustles, etc.

At that time, the Rockets were crossing their fingers and praying to the high heavens that Brandon Roy was going to fall to them. It wasn't to be, as, Roy goes two spots ahead.
indifferent.gif

Is Rudy Gay nice? Sure is. But, the Rockets didn't really have the time to wait on his potential. Brandon Roy was NBA ready from the jump. With T-Mac and Yao not necessarily getting any younger, and with Roy not being there when it was their turn to pick, the Rockets opted to aquire Shane instead, to compliment Yao and T-Mac, as opposed to drafting Rudy Gay who would have needed the ball in his hands a lot in order for him to develop quicker.

laugh.gif

It makes no sense having a glue guy if you don't have the other puzzles, not when you can have a potential 18-20 ppg scorer on the team. And no, Yaoand TMac was not enough. Rudy would have been great on this team and Stro sucks but at least he would have given depth.

I understand the trade with Shane for Rudy Gay, but I don't understand why we threw Swift in there. I think Swift had potential, but like with most playersunder JVG, they had limited role in the offense.

Perhaps it may have something to do with the salary cap, but I thought that JVG just hated Swift so much he wanted him gone after 1 season.

I agree with Franchise, I used to think talent could win you everything. As the San Antonio Spurs would prove me wrong 3 times, it's the team concept thatwill ultimately win you a championship.
I love Battier's role on this team, and if we can get consistent play/shooting at the PG position, I think the Rockets could really contend in the West.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

Gay wasn't as great of a scorer then as he is now... maybe they didn't see his upside

Everyone knew about Gay's potential. How could he have been as great a scorer? He had just finished his freshman year.
The fact of the matter isthat they didn't think he was the type of player for JVG's system and that Battier was perfect for it. When in reality, JVG's system is no longeras potent as it was in the 90s since the NBA realized that no one wants to watch a game where teams only score 65 points.

We should have kept him. This is gonna look like Paul Pierce in a few years.

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Yeah it was stupid.

Like J-Rich for B-Wright.
sick.gif

haha the warriors are a joke...and the rockets are not far behind

this man is right! the warriors are terrible!!!!
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by franchise3

Shane Battier is the ultimate glue guy, that's why. He's the perfect team player. He does all the little things on the court. Takes the charges, guards the opposing team's best player, hustles, etc.

At that time, the Rockets were crossing their fingers and praying to the high heavens that Brandon Roy was going to fall to them. It wasn't to be, as, Roy goes two spots ahead.
indifferent.gif

Is Rudy Gay nice? Sure is. But, the Rockets didn't really have the time to wait on his potential. Brandon Roy was NBA ready from the jump. With T-Mac and Yao not necessarily getting any younger, and with Roy not being there when it was their turn to pick, the Rockets opted to aquire Shane instead, to compliment Yao and T-Mac, as opposed to drafting Rudy Gay who would have needed the ball in his hands a lot in order for him to develop quicker.

laugh.gif

It makes no sense having a glue guy if you don't have the other puzzles, not when you can have a potential 18-20 ppg scorer on the team. And no, Yao and TMac was not enough. Rudy would have been great on this team and Stro sucks but at least he would have given depth.
Rudy had all the potential in the world coming in. Everybody saw that. Everybody knew that. But how does a rookie with potential live up to thatpotential? With playing time, touches. The Rockets aren't in it for the long haul. Their time to win is now/in the near future. By the time Rudyreaches his peak, Yao and T-Mac's prime would have been past them. Yeah, Rudy can put up 18-200PPG, but when you have Yao and T-Mac as your centerpieces,where are the shots for Rudy?

Plus, I know the Rockets are off to a shaky start this year, but they did win 52 games last year with Battier, and nobody really to write home about aside fromYao and T-Mac.

The Rockets will be ok.

Ps - Stromile Swift is g-a-r-b-a-g-e. He can't even get burn on Memphis. Dude provides nothing on the court. Certified bum. Which leads me to thistheory that I have. Shaq will be the last great big man to come out of LSU. Swift and Ty Thomas. SMH

Rudy Gay is a scorer, while Battier is a great defender who can hit shots from beyond the arc. Although some may regret it now, I think it was a good trade.Just because someone doesn't score a lot doesn't mean they're not a great player, word to Dennis Rodman.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Yeah it was stupid.

Like J-Rich for B-Wright.
sick.gif
I'm a big J-Rich fan myself, and I didn't appreciate the trade one bit.

But, I can see why they did it. For financial reasons and all. Even though I'd still like to see J-Rich on GSW.

The reason why the Rockets did the trade was because they're in a 'win now' mode. They took the sure thing in Battier, as opposed to the potentialof Gay, and to a lesser extent, the still somewhere out there potential of Swift who they also included in the deal.

As they say I guess, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in a bush...

Since there is no game thread... EFF TMAC! This guy is showing no heart, just turn Steve and Bonzi loose let them crash the boards and do their thing. I'MPISSED!
mad.gif

Ocks, why are you so mad? I'm not watching the game though I know they're getting killed, why are you blaming it on Tracy?

Andre was givin him the business and it seemed like he just gave up. Now he's on the bench "injured"

We're just playing terrible right now.
I don't even want to watch it.

I knew missing Rafer would make us pretty weak at the PG position, but the last 2 games will hopefully either

a. let the fans see how important Rafer means to the team
b. go out and get Andre Miller

PS- After we drafted Gay, I always wanted to hear something along the line of "Gay gives it to Head, YES!!!" something like that during the gamewould definitely be comical.

Watch your mouth.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Don'ttalk bad about Stro!

No but really, I've been saying it all year. Luther Head needs more minutes. He's the only one who came out to play tonight.

I agree, too good of a shooter to let chuckers like Mike James overwhelm PT. Luter > James

a. let the fans see how important Rafer means to the team
b. go out and get Andre Miller

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't see Andre Miller getting traded, he's starting to play a LOT better, and Louis Williams isn't getting muchburn, Miller is really stepping up his game, and I'm not sure what the Rockets could package that Philly would want.

Originally Posted by Ocks

franchise I'm just bein real
laugh.gif
Bouncer told these+%%@$%* to go home
Can it seriously be? The Rockets need Rafer to win?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Two games he's been out, the Rockets have stunk it up. Bad.

I agree, too good of a shooter to let chuckers like Mike James overwhelm PT. Luter > James
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom