Why do 'Hipsters' deny being or trying to be a 'Hipster'?

Originally Posted by POSITE FIEND

laugh.gif
I know 106 & Park�is�bad but how can the lower there standards toshow a video like that.
��

PBR is Paps Blue Ribbon...its the cheapest beer, bars in NYC sell 'em for as low as one dollar a can. I can't help you on the bikes lol.

I don't now any hipsters but I wouldn't hate on one....

in some cases their lack of style is pretty obvious though you can see it from a mile away, no creativity.

to score some fungus.
shrooms
nerd.gif

I wear tight pants, scarves and a 3/4 coat....I don't like the term hipster, I prefer "Emo gangsta".
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Donny Walker Blaq

1. What is a fixed bike?

2. What does pbr stand for?
1. A fixed gear bike is a bike with a single gear attached to the rear wheel. It's the simplest form of bike you can get. If you pedalforward, you go forward. If you pedal backwards, you go backwards. There is no coasting on a fixed gear (since the rear wheel is constantly spinning ifyou're in motion and your pedals will keep moving). Most people ride without brakes.

2. PBR = Pabst Blue Ribbon.

BDW whoever gave PBR a Blue Ribbon must have no tastebuds......PBR tastes like bum pee.

nobody wants to be catagorized into a group, thats why they dress differently, they just don't realize that they are conforming to a different group, sothey deny it...

vicious cycle

I had a PBR 3 weeks ago. It was my first and will be my only. WHY WOULD ANYONE DRINK THAT!>?

That's all I have to add to this thread.

I live on 14th st and 1st ave. Taking the L train everyday, I can confirm man hipsters come from Brooklyn...and union square is full of em. Then regular peopletry to do what hipsters do, then you get those fake hipsters. Hipsters are like the atheists on NT. Against religion, yet a part of the non-religion religion,does that make sense? I could care less what they do, but anywhere you go in this world is full of posers. Some hipsters are original, some want attention,some just like to copy other hipsters.

i've been to that NYC spot the clown in is the video. place is full of cauasians and hippies called "happy ending" near ctown

From WIKI:

1990s and 2000s

In the late 1990s, the term became a blanket description for middle class young people associated with alternative culture, particularly alternative music,independent rock, independent film and a lifestyle revolving around thrift store shopping, eating organic, locally grown, vegetarian, and/or vegan food,drinking local beer (or even brewing their own), listening to public radio, riding fixed-gear bicycles, and reading magazines like Vice and Clash and websiteslike Pitchfork vogue .[1] Robert Lanham's satirical The Hipster Handbook described hipsters as young people with "... mop-top haircuts, swinging retropocketbooks, talking on cell phones, smoking European cigarettes,... strutting in platform shoes with a biography of Che Guevara sticking out of theirbags."[5] Hipsters are considered apathetic, pretentious, and self-entitled by other, often marginalized sectors of society they live amongst, includingprevious generations of bohemian and/or "counter-culture" artists and thinkers as well as poor neighborhoods of color.[1]

In 2005, Slate writer Brandon Stosuy noted that "Heavy metal has recently conquered a new frontier, making an unexpected crossover into the realm ofhipsterdom." He argues that the "current revival seems to be a natural mutation from the hipster fascination with post-punk, noise, and nowave," which allowed even the "nerdiest indie kids to dip their toes into jagged, autistic sounds." He argues that a "byproduct" ofthis development was an "... investigation of a musical culture that many had previously feared or fetishized from afar."[6]

In 2008, Utne Reader magazine writer Jake Mohan described "hipster rap," "as loosely defined by the Chicago Reader, consists of the most recentcrop of MCs and DJs who flout conventional hip-hop fashions, eschewing baggy clothes and gold chains for tight jeans, big sunglasses, the occasional keffiyeh,and other trappings of the hipster lifestyle." He notes that the "old-school hip-hop website Unkut, and Jersey City rapper Mazzi" havecriticized mainstream rappers who they deem to be poseurs or "... ++%$ for copping the metrosexual appearances of hipster fashion."[7] Prefix Magwriter Ethan Stanislawski argues that there are racial elements to the rise of hipster rap. He claims that there "...have been a slew of angry retorts tothe rise of hipster rap," which he says can be summed up as "white kids want the funky otherness of hip-hop... without all the scary blackpeople."[8]

The hipster aesthetic of irony extends to the appropriation of elements of lowbrow or working class identity in an ironic fashion, such as Pabst Blue Ribbonbeer. As well, hipsters wear the multicoloured keffiyeh scarf "initially sported by Jewish students and Western protesters to express solidarity withPalestinians"; however, with hipsters, the "...keffiyeh has become a completely meaningless hipster cliché fashion accessory".[1]

Criticism :

Elise Thompson, an editor for the LA blog LAist argues that "people who came of age in the 70s and 80s punk rock movement seem to universally hate'hipsters'", which she defines as people wearing "expensive 'alternative' fashion", going to the "latest, coolest,hippest bar...[and] listen[ing] to the latest, coolest, hippest band." Thompson argues that hipsters "... don't seem to subscribe to anyparticular philosophy... [or] ...particular genre of music." Instead, she argues that they are "soldiers of fortune of style" who take upwhatever is popular and in style, "appropriat[ing] the style" of past countercultural movements such as punk, while "discard[ing] everythingthat the style stood for."[9]

Christian Lorentzen of Time Out New York claims that metrosexuality is the hipster appropriation of gay culture. He writes that "these aesthetics areassimilated - cannibalized - into a repertoire of meaninglessness, from which the hipster can construct an identity in the manner of a collage, or a shuffledplaylist on an iPod."[10] Lorentzen argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of thepostwar era-Beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity" and "gay style", and then"regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity" and a sense of irony. He claims that this group of "18-to-34-year-olds", who are mostlywhite, "have defanged, skinned and consumed" all of these influences "into a repertoire of meaninglessness".[11]

laugh.gif
They got me..
nerd.gif

If you are good at concealing laughter and contempt, you should ask a white person about "Real Hip Hop." They will quickly tell you about how they don't listen to "Commercial Hip Hop" (aka music that black people actually enjoy), and that they much prefer "Classic Hip Hop."

"I don't listen to that commercial stuff. I'm more into the Real Hip Hop, you know? KRS One, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul, Wu Tang, you know, The Old School."

Calling this style of music 'old school' is considered an especially apt name since the majority of people who listen to it did so while attending old schools such as Dartmouth, Bard, and Williams College.
What it all comes down to is that white people are convinced that if they were alive when this music was relevant that they would have been into it.

Back
Top Bottom