Why do people act funny, or get offended when you ask them how much they make? Never understood..

Originally Posted by kidplay

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 
How much do you make?

Originally Posted by kidplay

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 
How much do you make?

Originally Posted by FDUB

Originally Posted by versache530

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidentally moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.

Obviously the dude is kind of selfish.. I will say that for me as a male, it is a low feeling to date a girl that makes a lot more money that I do as far as annual income. I guess it is a ego thing some of us males have because it just makes me feel super low if my girl makes 80 plus grand a year and I just work at stepping stone job.. That's just me..

i can understand where you are coming from. that's why i don't tell. just makes it easier that way.

Originally Posted by FDUB

Originally Posted by versache530

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidentally moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.

Obviously the dude is kind of selfish.. I will say that for me as a male, it is a low feeling to date a girl that makes a lot more money that I do as far as annual income. I guess it is a ego thing some of us males have because it just makes me feel super low if my girl makes 80 plus grand a year and I just work at stepping stone job.. That's just me..

i can understand where you are coming from. that's why i don't tell. just makes it easier that way.

Originally Posted by trak1sh

if its someone I know then I don't see what the big deal is but that's just me.
pretty much.... im a team lead at work and this one guy makes more then all of us ( 4 people i run a small crew )... we got a newbie a couple weeks ago and they all ask me who's gonna train him... i pointed and said him, he makes the most money...

Originally Posted by trak1sh

if its someone I know then I don't see what the big deal is but that's just me.
pretty much.... im a team lead at work and this one guy makes more then all of us ( 4 people i run a small crew )... we got a newbie a couple weeks ago and they all ask me who's gonna train him... i pointed and said him, he makes the most money...

Never got it either, I dont see what the big deal is... Now if they start asking for information on everything you own then it will get annoying...

Never got it either, I dont see what the big deal is... Now if they start asking for information on everything you own then it will get annoying...

hiding how much you earn in a relationship seems like a recipe for disaster too though imo. when is it okay to tell?

hiding how much you earn in a relationship seems like a recipe for disaster too though imo. when is it okay to tell?

Originally Posted by RawSheed

Good question, but I assume when you are married???

Originally Posted by RawSheed

Good question, but I assume when you are married???

It's a stigma and in general I agree with what most people in this thread said.
But, sharing salaries can be useful, and I see no problem with people who are friends and have an appropriate relationship that can handle it, knowing how much each other makes.

Also, with this huge stigma around sharing salaries, people lose out on valuable information, especially when you work in the same industry.  How else are you supposed to know how much you're supposed to make if no one shares their salary with you? This is especially important when it comes to negotiating your salary with your employer. If you grossly undervalue yourself, whose to say they won't leave you high and dry? Within the same company, it can be risky to share salaries (if there's a standard pay scale at your company, the point is moot) because of company politics, but for these reasons, knowing how much your equivalent is being compensated can be very valuable. 

It's a stigma and in general I agree with what most people in this thread said.
But, sharing salaries can be useful, and I see no problem with people who are friends and have an appropriate relationship that can handle it, knowing how much each other makes.

Also, with this huge stigma around sharing salaries, people lose out on valuable information, especially when you work in the same industry.  How else are you supposed to know how much you're supposed to make if no one shares their salary with you? This is especially important when it comes to negotiating your salary with your employer. If you grossly undervalue yourself, whose to say they won't leave you high and dry? Within the same company, it can be risky to share salaries (if there's a standard pay scale at your company, the point is moot) because of company politics, but for these reasons, knowing how much your equivalent is being compensated can be very valuable. 

I'm guessing this doesn't really apply to younger people, and people in school. Everyone I know is pretty open about how much they make even if it is very little, then again most of us don't see our current occupation being something we do the rest of our lives. I'm 21 btw

I'm guessing this doesn't really apply to younger people, and people in school. Everyone I know is pretty open about how much they make even if it is very little, then again most of us don't see our current occupation being something we do the rest of our lives. I'm 21 btw

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.

Originally Posted by CrusaderRB32

This is why only managers, the finance team, and HR should know about people's salary.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom